14th Busan Asian Games - Post results & discussions [R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by shenhua, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to give congratulations to all of the Iranian fans out there. I didn't see the match, but from what I hear (read) they played a good match against a very good Japan side. Congratulations!

Hopefully we'll see you at the next WC.

2. Shahryar

Shahryar New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    USA
    Congratulations to IRAN on such a wonderful accomplishment. Even after Daei's sad departure after the first round ganes, the team did not lose their concentration and remained focused on the goal (Gold!). These young players gained valuable experience which hopefully take with them to the National level.

Congratulations also to the young Japanese team whom nobody expected to see in the finals. Japan's future looks bright. And so does those of Koreans. They played a great tournament, and never lost a game.

Thanks to all the football fans on this board whom have congratulated Iran for this victory. It does not take the sting away from not making in to the last WC, but it certainly helps looking at the future on a more positive note. Hope we will be there in Germany 2006.

3. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    leelo wanted to start new as a non-troll?????
    I think you missed his comment after the S.Korea vs Iran match.

4. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Not to be nitpickey, but Thailand is in Southeast Asia. I do agree though that they have a chance to be the first Asian team not from the two power regions to qualify. I would also be VERY surprised if they do not win the Tiger Cup later this year.

5. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Congrats to Iran!

But anyway, someone said that that was Japan's "C" team, like it wasn't even their 2nd best lineup. Is this true? If so, why didn't they send at least their "B" team?

6. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Its not C team, it was U-21 (to prepare next Olympic, they will be 23yrs old by that time)

7. Yuke

Yuke New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Japan
    The AG football is the competition for U-23. The age restriction has been applied this year(plus, each team can have up to 3 overages). So, none of the teams send their "A" teams to Busan.

It was only Japan and China PR that send U-21 without the overages or players between 21 and 23. Other teams had some U-21 players and/or overages. Iran was the strongest side by sending overages who have been the cornerstones of their senior team for the past decade.

Japan could have added players like Ono, Inamoto, Takahara, Ogasawara, Ichikawa etc who are still under the age of 23. But it has been our policy that we don't necessarily go for winning games at competitons like this. Ofcouse, this doesn't mean they can play without any pressure back home, but rather, we want the youngsers of the next generation to get experienced and help bottom up our "A" team.

So, as Japan planned this tournament preparatory to Athene '04, they've determined to send pure U-21 players. Very few are negative with this decision in Japan because we know Japan has benefited from the same approach(Bangkok '98) that eventually earned Japan the QF at Sydney Olympic and sent many quality players to our WC team over the next 4 years.

8. Gen-Max93

Gen-Max93 New Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yuke if you are talking about Daei when you say Iran had cornerstones of their team, I think you should know that Daei only played one full game and that was vs Lebanon. Only one :)

Congrats to all the teams it was a great tournament.

9. Yuke

Yuke New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Japan
    Yes, I know Mr.Daei left Busan. And the Iranian team missed 2 starters who were suspended from the finals. Yet, Golmohammadi(I don't think I'm spelling his name right) was so dominant in front of the goalmouth.

Anyhow, why did Karimi get excluded from the team? I thought he was still under the age of 23. Is he in trouble again due to his bad behavior??

10. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    what bad behavior? I heard he's not having good relationship with daei long time ago.

11. Yuke

Yuke New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Japan
    Karimi made some troubles at home on/off the pitch. He also spitted at a ref(Japanese) in the last AG game and was suspended from international games for a year or so...

Personally, I like his play style, and he's one of the top attacking MF/FW in Asia. He needs to learn how to work as a piece in group games like football though.

12. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Karimi was excluded because he was unable to lead Iran as its captain in the U23 tournament called the WAFF. I believe the coaching staff felt that Iran would have a better chance of victory with Daie as the striker/captain than a young Karimi.

Karimi is actually 23 and will be 24 in November, so he would have be counted as an overage player. He immensely talented and probably the one Iranian player that could become a star. Right now he seems to be going in the wrong direction, but he is still young enough that anything can happen.

13. "Simply Ken"

"Simply Ken" New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    USA
    My belated congratulations to Iranian fans. Our team did well, accomplishing its mission.

Also kudos to Japan, who surprised many by coming this far in the tournament with their U21 side. Finally, thanks for the Koreans for hosting the games, and though disappointed in the outcome of their game with Iran, finished the tournament on a high note beating Thailand 3:0.

Yuke,

The Iranian team in this tournament had a core comprised of players from the U19 side that beat Japan 3:1 in the Tehran Asian U19 championships in 2001, with players like Kazemian, Mobali (suspended for the final), Lotfi, as well as other similarly aged players not showcased then such as Nosrati, Navidkia, Badavi and Kameli (injured for the final). All these players, along with Iran's YWC U17 captain, Kaabi (who played in the Asian Games and started against Japan), are age eligible for the Athens Olympics.

Our side, however, also brought a few over 21 players who were nonetheless age eligible given the format of this U23 tournament. Among them were Nikbakht (suspended for the final), as well as Nekounam. Against Japan, two other U23 but over 21 players, Amirabadi and Bayatinia, also started, filing for the suspended and injured players on our roster.

The next group in this team were the overage players. Among them, Daei only played one match in the tournament. The others were Mirzapour and Golmohammadi.

To put it differently, our Asian Games roster had 13 players who are age eligible for the Athens 2004 Olympics. Among those 13 players, 6-7 (Nosrati, Kameli, Navidkia, Mobali, Badavi, Kazemian; sometimes Kaabi) were starters, while 2-3 of them were principal substitutes (Akbarpour, Azizzadeh, as well as Kaabi when he didn't start).

What I'm trying to say is that the core of our side was actually comprised of 21 and under players as well. We did, however, use overage players but essentially using them to augment our U21 side not our U23 side.

14. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    anyways, regardless what squad each team sends, we all know Iran won it and no controversy should be made regarding the fact.

i have one question. Is there any possibility that Iran will still field Daei for their 2006 campaign?

15. "Simply Ken"

"Simply Ken" New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    USA
    "i have one question. Is there any possibility that Iran will still field Daei for their 2006 campaign? "

Premium Hamatachi,

There is a possibility of that, although age will be catching up with Daei sooner or later.

Daei is right now 33 years old; by the time of the 2006 World Cup, he will be 37. There have been players who have performed for their national team at that age, but most retire before it.

I personally was dead set against Iran taking Daei to the Asian Games. That decision to me showed no foresight. Besides, had Iran won the tournament with Daei, I would not have taken as much pride in our gold medal anyway.

As things turned out, tragedy caused Daei to go to Iran, allowing our youth to emerge from the shadows of a great player, unshackled, playing even better than when he was in the lineup.

16. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    Cameroon's Roger Milla was 42 when he participated in WC '94. He also scored 4 goals in Italy '90. In 2002 WC, Denmark's Heintze was 38. Let Daie follow their path.

17. Iranian-Striker

Iranian-Striker New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    I agree with Hama...

18. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Daei may not be around in 2005 for qualifying, but then again he may be. He is one of the better conditioned Iranians around and his game is in the air, not speed. I have a feeling that Daie will still be around in 2005/2006.

19. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I read a report in the Taiwanese media today saying that there are still 90 athletes and officials from over a dozen countries still in South Korea. Immigration officials fear that many may be trying to illegally gain employment in South Korea.

Anything about this from the Korean Mafia here?

20. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Why do you think the illegal workers have a connection with the mafias? - Does Korean mafias really exist anyway? :)

21. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    YES. two words. JO POK.

22. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    stop watching pokemon and answer the original question.

23. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    ?? what question? where is the connection between mafia and illegal residents?
    or were u refering Media?

or were u just asking our thoughts about that?

24. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    that's hardly anything.

25. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Yes according to the New York Times, male gymnast Li Hongzhang of China spoke to the media to talk about why he decided to illegally immigrate to China. "I love basic freedoms that Korea has to offer not found in China. My father was arrested for denouncing Mao and he was placed in a tiger cage for 5 days. My younger brother was arrested for practicing tai chi in Tiananmen Square last year, and our family was censured by the government. I practiced gymnastics very hard to be able to compete at the international level and to be able to free my brother and father. However, I felt this was the best thing I could do. I would like to thank the Chinese government for injecting me with the steroids necessary to participate in the competition, and I hope for the safety of my family."

Chinese officials did not comment and actually repudiated that there was a gymnast that had defected in the first place.