14 year old defender looking for advice

Discussion in 'High School' started by charlz96, Nov 6, 2012.

1. charlz96

charlz96 Member

Apr 21, 2009
    NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is footage of me from half a year ago, just hoping I could get some tips and constructive criticisim so I can get better. Thank you.

2. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really hard to watch a highlight video for constructive criticism. All the viewer has to go by are selected moments of what you perceive to be good play.
    You have good quickness, but your touch is a bit heavy when going forward. It's hard to say where you stand as far as individual skill goes. Are you a confident header of the ball? Can you play a well flighted ball into space or to a forward's feet from 30-40 yards?
    It's impossible to tell from this video.

nicklaino repped this.
  3. Dawe7

Dawe7 New Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Just like "Bookmesir" said, it's pretty hard to tell from this video what you need to work with. I think it looks like your positioning is good, but your first-touch on the ball can be better. It looks like you're calm and confident on the ball, and that's good! So I'd say work on your first touch.

Good luck and work hard! :)

4. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in order to work on your first touch you need a ball to be played to you from varying angles, heights and incoming pace. You can do this a couple of ways...have a friend workout with you, or find a wall to knock the ball against. If you go with the wall, use a crappy ball and beat whatever crap is left in it out of it!
    20 continuous minutes against a wall will give you hundreds if not thousands of touches. Adjust your distance from the wall (close and not so close), play one touch with both feet, then move back and hit the ball harder, receive and pass (2-touch). Try consecutive headers...which is extremely challenging, and half-volleys (hit the ball on the short hop with the inside of your foot or on a bigger sweet hop with your instep).
    Mix it up, stay focused, and, yes, have fun!

strikerbrian repped this.
  5. jeremys_dad

jeremys_dad Member

NYC Football Club
    Apr 29, 2007
    The Big Easy
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Ask your mom and dad to please spend five minutes tossing the ball at you to trap every day. Active/dynamic traps, not static traps.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It seems your satisfied after you make your first pass. You disappear after that instead of putting yourself in a position to get a second pass or a third pass. What higher end teams do is get second string mids and teach them to play a back. Do you have a big shot from far out. If you do we did not see it.

7. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You need to find a good local trainer to hook up with - either pay for training or see if you can train with an older or better team, without actually playing for the team. Posting here for over a year is not going to help you (I keep my kid away from soccer boards for just such a reason).

Also would recommend futsal for you - all the films you have shown are rather average touches and control, and futsal is the best way to improve that.

And if you are serious about soccer, you should be practicing on your own daily when not at organized practice. If it seems like a chore, you aren't serious about soccer.

8. Calciotiro

Calciotiro New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    As others have said, from one video it is very hard to tell nevertheless from that video it seems that you can read the game very well and that you are confident at the back

9. Its_ChaseR

Its_ChaseR New Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Try to catch them offsides more. That's one thing. Idk if you did it in the video but if you are fast enough, play the offsides. And take control of the field. You seem to be sweeper, and you and the keeper should be yelling the whole game on positions of the players and the other teams positions. Tell them to watch certain players and anticipate the passes.

10. Its_ChaseR

Its_ChaseR New Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And we try and not kick it to the keep unless we have to. We take it to the side and then clear it up field. Try and work the striker

11. Doriano Jösefnaldi

Feb 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Train as much as possible effective ly.I recommend go on YouTube and type online soccer academy or soccer essential. Ask coaches what your weaknesses and improve them. ALWAYS ALWAYS try to improve work hard .Good luck .