14-team playoff draw next season

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do not like.

VFish repped this.
  3. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Personally I think this puts more importance on the Shield as a trophy. The one offs are a complete crap shoot.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Personally I'm in favor of the single elimination format as I think it will allow the postseason to more closely mimic that of the NFL. It should also engender more casuals to pay attention and get butts in the seats. I also like the idea of not having a FIFA international date interrupting the middle of the playoffs.

Whether or not there should be 6, 7 or more teams involved is rather immaterial to me. I'd lean toward 6 but I know they want TV content. We shall see how this evolves.

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But why is that a good thing? Especially when you have such a huge difference between the sports in the comparative difficulty/ease in which one scores? My fear is this will lead to even more bunkering in the playoffs.

Auriaprottu, Mach1 and Gunner repped this.
  6. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Agreed. This is a complaint often heard of World Cup matches. The absence of wiggle room promotes highly conservative play. Play to make no mistakes. Take it to penalties if you must.

Auriaprottu and yossarian repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I disagree. I mean, the one-offs ARE a crapshoot, but MLS has already told us what the Shield is worth (as much as I wanted us to win it, because it's a trophy) by using a postseason playoff to begin with. A playoff effectively says, "This is for the title, period", and all this did was make it kinda wacky.

MLS can convince me of the Shield's value by eliminating the playoff altogether and allowing the league title to be determined by the season's results. But that won't work without relegation to keep the bottom teams honest.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Spot on. I think every match up should be a home and away series... but the MLS Cup does make for a nice spectacle for most of America that only watches one game a year ($$$$). This NCAA tournament idea is stupid.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Supporters Shield is for people that understand the game. The Cup is all glam for the rest of America. Nothing is going to make the Supporters Shield shiny enough for the casual fan to take notice. I hate to say it but I think NYRBs are the real league champs. That said I think it is more fun to win the Cup.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Relegation to where?

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we're seeing bunkering in the current format, too, which is why I don't suspect that will change all that much. I could be wrong and we will see but the spectre that everything will be resolved within the few hours at least raises the hype for the casuals.

I think this is where we have to accept it's an imperfect answer to an imperfect situation. League size and American nature demands a playoff, but season scheduling and trying to remain true to the game run against that grain. Nothing we ever propose will be perfect, but so long as we're hoisting a trophy at the end...!

12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an MLS old-timer, this. We've struggled with the international calendar since the league's inception. Glad that we're finally taking it into account in the league's schedule.

13. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only good part of this new format, IMO.