PBP: 12/28, Dempsey: Fulham v Chelsea {R}

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by babytiger2001, Dec 28, 2008.

1. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Rossi scored against Real Madrid, Alt. Madrid, Valeincia, and Floretina among others.

2. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt that this was probably the best game of Dempseys club carrer! The man got an early goal, played great on both sides of the ball, made smart desicions, passed well, had relentless effort, and then tied it up in the 90th minute, vs a top 5 club in the world.

It's a good day to be a yank fan.:)

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but you've got to put everything into context... it's one thing getting a consolation or add-on goal but it's another thing two hit two, one coming in the last minute against the champions-elect. When I saw that Chelsea had equalized and then gone ahead in the second half, I thought, 'oh great, another yank scores a goal that will be deemed irrelevant at the end of the day'... but his equalizer, coming in stoppage time was something entirely different from what I remembered Boca doing...

don't forget Subotic v Bayern or Hangeland v Arsenal either... :rolleyes:

4. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know about most people, and I know the rules, but to me, imo, and in my heart, I definatley dont consider Rossi a yank.

5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca scored against Chelsea in the 84th minute to earn a draw 2-2 in the 06/07 season. Not to take anything away from Dempsey he had the great game, the best I remember for an American.

6. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Same here.

7. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    It was a day the office for Lampard, typical performance that underlines why he's been so important to Chelsea for so long, but not a career highlight.

I don't think it was even that close to who was the best player on the pitch, though Lampardcan't take all the credit for Chelsea's dominance in the match, the fact that they did was in part due to him.

The first Lampard goal was very typical Lampard - run up behind the forward putting pressure on the defenders and picking up the lose ball and scoring with a clincal finish.

Dempsey's first goal was the bigger gift than Lampard's first (though Simon Davies must take credit for the free kick that Chelsea couldn't deal with) - he stood on the back post for the dead ball and recieved the ball one yard from the goal line and was able to control it on his chest before flicking it in with the outside of his boot whilst under no great pressure.

Dempsey's secnd goal was his best moment - a really good finish at a crucial moment.

I'm not trying to do Dempsey down at all, he's added to his reputation in England today and if he can keep up the industry he's shown recently and keep on being a scoring threat then that reputaion is going to grow further.

9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    but you should qualify such statements.

Fulham is a team that can't hold a candle to Chelsea's pass and hold game. Many times, Dempsey would pass, move...and his teammates would lose possession. For Fulham to survive, Dempsey has to stay in position, keep shape defensively, and doesn't have near the room to maneuover to receive the ball as Lampard. He doesn't have the same quality players trying to find him open either.

Lampard was better today overall, but given his support- Dempsey was likely just as good. As someone mentioned, he hardly lost the ball all day. His forward line is poor, and that includes Johnson who seems a shadow of his heydey 3-4 years ago.

10. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Easily was overstating the case, but there really isn't much between players like Cole and Dempsey. I'd give Cole a slight edge- but were you aware that Dempsey has scored more goals than Cole in the last 3 seasons? (and they've played the same number of minutes).

If Dempsey was surrounded by Chelsea's cast, he'd increase his scoring chances. In fact, it would be fun to see Dempsey make those strong runs/diving headers that he used to in MLS- problem is with Fulham, he rarely can give up his defensive responsibilities with Bullard allowed to do whatever (and with such mediocre ball handlers)...with Chelsea, they would find him all day on such runs.

Cole is obviously very skillful dribbler, and has strong vision. His shot is erratic (had a nice 'drive your foot in the ground' shot vs. West Brom) and statistically- he's only fair given the talent surrounding him.

Dempsey is stronger buildt as a player, and much better in the air. Both are creative. Cole has a better workrate and quicker feet, but Dempsey is getting better defensively, and can beat guys to get his shot in, or cross.

We can't forget that Dempsey is 1 1/2 years younger as well.

If Dempsey continues to play the 2nd 1/2 of season....the way he has the last 10 games- I have no doubt that we will be hearing of interest from the Aston Villa's, Everton's.....and when I consider that 'Pool acquired Benniyoon (sp?), or Chelsea Sidwell or even Joe Cole...its not ridiculous at all to think those clubs could even have *some* interest if his performance continues this way.

For those dreaming of Europe for Fulham, this club is still much closer to relegation than anything else. They are 1 or 2 injuries away from serious trouble. They are not a great team, but have less disruption than some evenly and more talented sides at the moment. They have bought into Hodgson's system, and that's paying dividends. But their strike force is woeful, and this could really hurt them 2nd half.

They need to win 2 out of these 4 home games (WBA, B'ham, Stoke, Blackburn) and pile on some draws to be safe. Should be doable.

Dempsey is one of the youngest players on Fulham. Fulham will be a pretty old team by next season, so Dempsey looks to be a key building block for Fulham's future regardless. Certainly, he's proven he belongs in the Prem, and would get snapped up in any relegation scenario.

11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    MB scored tying goals against both PSV Eindhoven and Bayern Munich in 2008.

Actually this year has produced a surprising amount of clutch goals by YAs. I would say McBride's go ahead goal vs. Birmingham, Bradley's tying goal vs. Munich, and Dempsey's tying goal vs. Chelsea are the most dramatic for 2008.

12. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoy the game???:cool:

Go Fins!!

And Fulham......

13. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    I forgot about him.

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna had the decisive goal in the CL qualifying stage against Parma (a huge team at the time) which got Rangers through to the group stages at the time. One of the biggest goals for the Rangers in the last 10 years.

Today was simply a great day for Clint. Like I said before, he's King of London for the day. :)

15. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

not a gimme for sure.

16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Link?

Complete and absolute myth. See Shaun Wright Phillips, Carlton Cole, Mateja Kezman, and Alberto Gilardino. (He isn't a Chelsea player but take a look at the midfield that he had surrounding him at Milan)

Again. Complete myth. See him for England as of late. He's one of our better players and has proved it time and time again.

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Zamora is doing his job very well. He is holding up two defenders because they have to respect his ability to receive balls and flick on. The real problem here is AJ. Initially, I felt Robbie K at Liverpool would be the worst pick-up of the year, but AJ was always a close second. Now with Dempsey having cost 2mm and tied for lead with goals and not having started earlier in the year, and AJ costing 11mm pounds, I would say either Dempsey is the greatest value for the money in the EPL over the last two years or AJ is one of the worst.

Bench AJ, put in Nevland. Bring on AJ with 25min to play and tell him to go be a nuisance. Davies, Zamora and Dempsey are feeding AJ very good passes and he is not doing much with them.

18. SIR-T

SIR-T New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Good performance from Dempsey, but he needs to be doing that week in, week out against the Wigans, and Stokes, provided he gets the chance to. I would describe him as a technical workhorse. He can pass, move, and work hard, but he will never be a 20 goal a season player. Of all people he reminds me of Emile Heskey.

The first goal was taken well, but an easy finish nonetheless. The second goal was great and is the kind of goal I am used to seeing McBride score. He was the MOTM without doubt. He scored both both of Fulhams goals and saved a point at the last breath.

19. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey is a midfielder. Started out in MF for MLS club and is now pretty much a Rmid, where he is needed for the USMNT. Heskey's a striker.

Seems to me that if he can do what he did vs Chelsea, then WBA, Stoke, Wigan, and such, provides him the chance to make a difference, even if he doesn't score, he's a midfielder.

20. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised to see an Emile Heskey comparison: Could you describe that?

The first goal was a fortuitous opportunity, but not an easy finish (it was a pretty athletic move to tap-in from that close.

21. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    this picture just says it all..

[​IMG]

22. ragin bear

ragin bear New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the Zamora thing...Fulham appear to be chasing a striker:

"Fulham are considering a £2m move for QPR striker Dexter Blackstock. (Daily Mirror)"

He has been pretty good this year in the Championship with a team high 10 goals in 25 matches...he is also only 22.

23. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't they just recall EJ?:confused:;)

24. I don't know if it qualifies, but didn't DMB run roughshod over Lyon in CL last year for Rangers?

I seem to remember him owning that match. I don't recall if he scored 2 goals, but he had a hand in all the goals I think.

Anyone....

25. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the best I've seen of Clint Dempsey in forever. Both goals were typical goals for him, something that will be nice to have when he plays for the US. He was just in the right place at the right time for the first, same for the second except the second was really a class goal because of the tight placement.

I'm very happy for him to have had such a great match.