10/31: Halloweeners: FCD vs Portland [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I will disagree here. Dallas is a soccer smart market. If they had that level of skill, even with no-name players, they'd be dominating MLS in a manner that would create demand of both media and fans. They'd be on SC Top 10 nightly. I get the point, but if you're seriously suggesting you couldn't find 20Kx16 to come watch the "Fake, but just as Good Barcalona" in the DFW area, you're selling short this market's interest in, and understanding of, soccer.

I fear this hybrid is not possible. Frisco is already not a MLS destination high on the desired list of top quality inbound players - if you were to add in selling such a player that he would be propping up a mostly academy populated team - I don't think the best players (known or otherwise) are interested in that.

I'm confused by this analysis. What other formation or tactical approach do you think was actually workable with this roster? Please, break down what formations, and who, you were going to put in those places and make this thing work? Remember, this was largely a 4-4-2 team, then a 4-2-3-1, then 4-1-4-1 and about 5 other variations in 2017 and 2018. Hell, there was a span of time when he tried a 3 man back line.

Clavijo's inability to deliver a proper #9 is the epicenter of almost every issue tactically on this team.

I guess I should apologize if these replies have had a tone to them, but I find any discussion that Oscar is somehow the problem to be tone deaf of what the real problems of this team are. Kinda like saying its the race car driver's fault he's losing races when the owner put a 'gerbil in a wheel' as the engine of their car.

I will add this as a thought while watching Seattle yesterday because I think it relates: In July the Sounders sought out and signed a LigaMX leading scorer and went from 10th to 2nd and a league record streak of something (wins, no losses, not sure). FCD lost two more players, who didn't want to be here anymore (now a running theme!) and replaced them with a mid-level striker with a questionable finishing rate and a young, promising, but unproven Chilean midfielder (who Oscar told us from Day 1 was unlikely to be ready to really help this season) - and the team went from 1st place to first round knock out.

The Hunts are NEVER, EVER going to go out and spend on a RuiArce, a Rooney, a Vela, etc. But they want to grow and cultivate young Dallas area talent into prospects with sell-on value. So far, they may actually be very good at this, and as a fan I would be far more interested in supporting a team made up of that type of roster - regardless of results - than what we've gotten in the last 10 years.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly you may be right unless somehow playing here gets them big interest from Europe.

3. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the DFW market is interested and knowledgeable about soccer. I'm often impressed at FCD games and US national team games in DFW when fans cheer for a well-executed trap, an incisive pass, or a key defensive intervention. I just don't think much of the market interested in driving to Frisco to see MLS because it's "just too far" or because "it's crap compared to EPL."
    (italics indicates whiny voice or Euro-soccer-snob voice)

4. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    There has to be a mix for FCD to be successful. There is not magic pill, but they can certainly do better than they are now.

I don't think FCD will ever be a franchise that can draw 40k+ per game, even if they had the capacity. However, there is no reason they couldn't get 20k-22k there every single week.

For me, the issue is both a product of poor marketing, lack of relationships with DFW based youth clubs AND roster/style of play. There seems to be very little connection to the community by the players, they must do a better job building this bridge. They have signed 22 HG players, many of which grew up in the DFW area, playing for any number of clubs. These kids have roots and I think have the ability to bring more people to the stadium than a non big name import can. Issue is, they have to play in order for this to happen.

I can't speak for all soccer fans, but I would much rather watch an exciting group of young players (even knowing they won't make the playoffs) than I would this boring tripe they roll out every week. There is something to be said for building from the ground up and going through bad times in order to get to good times. I think FCD is at this cross roads.

5. New2EU

New2EU New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Wow - this thread prompted me to find my username (created in 2006 - don't judge). I have been a looooong time lurker since moving to Ft. Worth in 2013 and have been a season ticket holder in 17, 18 and soon to be 19 - making the trek from Downtown Ft. Worth.

Why is an unbalanced schedule only true for regular season and SS and not the MLS Cup? The Cup entertains the top 6 teams of each conference, not the 12 best teams. It plays silly two-leg games, with away goal rule and then is decided by one single elimination game, not a full knock-out like the Open Cup, Champions League or WC. (Don't forget one of OP's playoff eliminations was after two ties to SEA with no ET or penalties).

The SS got started 3 years after MLS Cup and was incentivized 10 years later. That is really the only reason MLS Cup gets the glory (plus USAmerican's love playoffs and the Cup is easy to digest).

6. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under the heading of "Crapshoot," Portland beat the hottest team in MLS on PKs after a series of goals that came from defensive blunders. One of Portland's goalscorers was a guy they sent down to PT2 several weeks ago.

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah. Portland (#5 in the West) is once again making the case that your regular season position doesn't mean shit in the playoffs, as long as you're in. I'm no fan of Portland but I love seeing Seattle fail. So I enjoyed the highlights this morning.

Bosanski Bomber repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really hard to come down on FCD when looking at what Portland is doing. I guess the biggest difference is they still have their #10 and he is bigger than ours was so he's able to withstand hacking better. I know FCD had some problems but Portland just isn't very good yet there they are.