10/28 - DC : New England - GEIGER

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by Bradley Smith, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    MLS Playoffs - Eastern Conference - Knockout Round

D.C. United v New England Revolution
    RFK Stadium (7:30pm EDT)
    REF: MARK GEIGER
    AR1: Sean Hurd
    AR2: Joe Fletcher
    4TH: Chris Penso

Somebody's probably going to want to chat about this one. :)

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes.

Jermaine Jones is a psycho.

For me, that wasn't a penalty. That looked like ball to hand, and the defender had no time to react, and wasn't chicken-winging it or anything.

What makes it dodgy was the penalty he DID call on the other end, which also looked harsh to me. It was missed (off the post), but they looked like they were on the same plane to me, and he called one and not the other.

BTFOOM repped this.
  3. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The first one (which Geiger called a PK on) we didn't get a great replay of. Geiger would have had a better angle than what we had on TV. It was a fast shot, short-ish distance. Tough to tell if he moved his arm towards the ball or not. It was in at least a somewhat natural position. Live, I thought it was a bad call. Would need to see the replay.

The second one (which was not called) was this one:

https://vine.co/v/eYFaL2ggbMe

Which triggered these reactions from Jones:

https://vine.co/v/eYFuuvtbehz

https://vine.co/v/eYFurzVdddK

Incredibly short distance, arms down by his side but swinging forward at time of contact. I thought no-call live. Replay makes me less sure, but I'm still fine with a no-call. SHOCKED by Jones' behaviour, though. He all-out SPRINTED 40 yards to shove Geiger while the ball was in play.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  4. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the PK given wasn't deliberate handling and neither was what Jones flipped his lid over.

5. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    BTFOOM and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  6. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    Hope MLS and PRO throw the book at him. You never contact a referee. Especially during playoffs, after a red card, in a losing match.

BTFOOM, jarbitro and Bradley Smith repped this.
  7. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    I'm also wondering how much of a punishment Jones is gonna get. There's the fact he got 2 yellows. Then committed a straight red offense. And more misconduct afterwords. Seriously. That scares me.

BTFOOM repped this.
  8. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Should be at least 6 matches. That's what Espindola got for shoving the AR after the playoff match at the end of last season.

BTFOOM and Funkfoot repped this.
  9. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So I admit I was on a phone call at the time and wasn't paying full attention, so my memory is likely wrong, but Jones had a shot in the 87th minute where Halsti dove in and I believe he cleaned out Jones's plant leg right after the shot. I thought it was a situation where if that happens outside the box, it's an easy call and second yellow for Halsti, but since it was in the box and Jones did get the shot away, a no-call isn't a big surprise. I thought that the tackle was pretty bad to the point of thinking it should have been called anyway, but again, I wasn't paying full attention at the time. Am I mis-remembering that event? Was that tackle as bad as I thought?

Oh, and just to echo everyone else - no justification for what Jones did, should be 3 games minimum, would prefer 5+, but it's MLS, so who the **** knows what they'll do?

Edit: @Ismitje posted this in the MLS PBP Thread:

10. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    #10 Tigerpunk, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  11. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    The Boswell-Agudelo thing was so far away from the ball it's hard to know what happened or who even saw it. In theory that's the sort of thing Penso would have been watching and it would have been very close to him.

12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Jones needs to be suspended at least 6 games. Way to blow your top, man.

BTFOOM repped this.
  13. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conversely, Geiger had moments before called a play on in NE's favour for a questionable challenge on a United player, a like challenge for which Halsti received his yellow...high legs, exposed studs, player makes contact with the ball but is played through. One way it's a yellow for United, the other it's an advantage call for NE, and like enough that the crowd was most displeased. Geiger's calls on physical challenges aren't up with the consistency I would like.

On the handball on the NE end, there was definitely more separation there than there was between Jones and Franklin, and Franklin's were in a natural position for his motion, where as it didn't look like that was the case for NE. As mentioned, without a better replay, it's hard to say definitively, but I think the separation and motion were the chief contributing factors in the difference.

shawn12011 repped this.
  14. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at Borg's replay on the MLS FB page, I think separation was the contributing factor to the call against NE, but I'd have been OK with a no-call. I can see why he gave it, though, given the space, and he is well positioned on both that and the one at the other end. Franklin is at about a third that distance and had no chance to move.

15. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geiger has got to ********ing hate handballs at this point. This is his third major handball controversy in the last couple years, all very close calls in big games.

16. Raider025

Raider025 Member

May 13, 2015
    Can you blame him? They come with "damned if you do, damned if you don't" moments that end up screwing him either way.

BTFOOM and Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  17. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't shocked at all because at that point in the game, his team needed that call to go their way, and considering an incredibly similar call was made at the other end, he expected consistency (as did I).

On the first PK call, I'm still not sure the ball hit the arm. From the angle facing the defender, it looked like the ball hit the side of his body and not the arm, but from the reverse angle, it looks like it might have hit his arm. The first angle looks more definitive to me. Additionally, the defender's arm wasn't far away from his side, and he seemed to be trying to avoid the contact.

The second one looked like a good no-call. The defender's arm obviously made contact with the ball, but it was at his side and there was no time for him to avoid the contact. Considering how similar this play was to the earlier one, though, I expected it to be called.

I think if the two plays had been reversed (in terms of when they took place), I think neither would have been called. The second call looked like the clearer one, and with the more ambiguous call happening later, I'm guessing he would have called them the same way because they were such similar plays. Everyone would have been a lot happier. Geiger's actions wouldn't have been seen to have had an impact on the result, and Jones wouldn't have an impending multi-game suspension on the way.

Andy Herron was red-carded in a very similar situation back in 2005 at the very end of the 1-game eastern conference final and received a 6-game suspension for the following season. I'm not sure how much the disciplinary system has changed in the last decade, but that situation seems almost identical to the one that happened tonight.

shawn12011 repped this.
  18. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I think you might also wonder if the fact that DCU didn't score on that PK might have entered his subconscious as well.

jarbitro repped this.
  19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian Espindola got 6 games for pushing a ref at the end of United's playoff series with NYRB last year, so the precedent remains set there.

Andy Zilis and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  20. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I terms of reaction time, I was curious, and checked...
    For the hand ball penalty that was called, it took slightly more than 1/3rd of a second from when the ball was played until it hit the arm.
    On the non-call, it took about 1/6th of a second.

21. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    So twice as long:rolleyes:!

Jeez, I am starting to think our referee is jinxed.

22. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little bit of background on those previous suspensions.

2005 Eastern Conference Final:
    Chicago appears to equalize late, but AR George Gansner correctly flags for offside on the build up. Herron goes nuts on Gansner and is sent off by Terry Vaughn.

Then last year Gansner was again the AR in question. Close in/out decision. Leaves the flag down and a goal is scored shortly thereafter. Replays and freeze frames show it was a correct no call. Espindola goes off on Gansner after the final whistle and is sent off by Ismail Elfath.

Both players were suspended for 6 matches at the start of the following season.

Jones could theoretically get 8. 6 + 1 for second yellow + 1 for failing to leave the field in a timely manner.

Lucky Wilbury repped this.
  23. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I have a problem with the 'hand ball' he did call. As a matter of logic, if a player is moving his arm out of the way of the ball, how can it be considered deliberate handling? How can you handle is you are striving to not-handle?

24. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    #24 Lucky Wilbury, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Re: the debate on how many games he should get, don't we all remember the Dempsey incident over the summer? The nuances of USSF procedures were put forth by everyone. For professionals, it is a minimum of 6 games for Referee Assault (MLS called Dempsey's "Abuse" somehow and gave 3). I think that's where the previous standards of 6 came from that @ManiacalClown referenced. I watched both of those plays he mentioned as they happened, and I think Jones' is worse. He will have to get 1 game for the 2YC issue, but I would like to think that MLS gives more than 6 games for that level of Assault. Herron's came from a different era, but if Espindola's recent actions warrant the minimum, then it feels like Jones has exceeded that. As the camera cuts in, it looks like Jones gave him a somewhat-light 2-handed shove to the chest, but it's tough to tell. We also don't know what happened before the camera cut in to the closer view.

The whole discussion is moot, obviously, but I just wanted to point out that anything less than 6 games (7 total games) should be off the table, per the USSF guidelines in place.

EDIT: I also think that MLS will delay the decision/announcement of this until just before the MLS 2016 Regular Season, so as to avoid Jones being prohibited from USMNT duty during that period, and also to bury an embarassing story about an MLS star player. Remember, the 3 game MLS ban allowed Dempsey to return just before the Gold Cup started.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ld-cup-qualifiers/?postshare=8661446153707504

jarbitro, JasonMa, akindc and 1 other person repped this.
  25. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    True, but if his hand was over his head, and he was moving it out of the way when it was hit, would you have the same reaction?