10/2 DMB: Lyon v Rangers (CL)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Hed7181, Oct 2, 2007.

1. taiko67

taiko67 New Member

May 14, 2007
    Gaithersburg, MD
    http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=23723

I read this article today where he said that he was still in talks with City when Rangers came in with interest. He said that he wasn't sure about what was going to happen with the new changes at City and thought that he would get a chance to play everyday at Rangers and get some CL time. I'd say this was the best move for him. If he keeps up his form he may get back in the PL or a look in LL. I just hope he makes it through the SPL season. He took some punishment today and looked like might have got some in training as well with the bandage and all.

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Amazing what happens when you play the ball to DMB in space. And it was a nice corner, too.

3. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Anyone else think that this might be DMB's ideal situation, meaning Big club with a larger roster in a smaller league with CL play. This is two separate occasions in similiar situations that seems to be excelling in. Gets plenty of 1st team minutes as well as staying fresh. To me it seems almost perfect for him.

4. Bizz

Bizz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Needham, MA
    You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

[​IMG]

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder why. Incidentally, did you file a TPC form before logging on to this thread?

6. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    All 3 goals on this youtube user page. You get an idea how good the pass to Beasley was, but you don't get the whole picture. It really was a stunning pass and fantastic job by DaBeasley to control it and slot it in. http://www.youtube.com/user/rangersloyalcouk

7. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure you finish your TPS Reports (and put a cover sheet on them), too.

8. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love that celebration from Beasley. In that slo-mo he looks like he's imitating Godzilla from the old Japanese films.

9. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oof. Knew I should have googled it.

10. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    Didn't you get the memo?

11. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    The Guardian described it as "hysterically laughing." I thought it more closely resembled a primordial scream.

12. mtizzle

mtizzle Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Conshohocken
    Left off the "t", my bad. Cachet, not cache. :cool:

13. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    What's the deepest into CL play that a Yank has scored?

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Ahhh, yyyeaahhhh .... Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://global-ussoccer.blogspot.com/2007_09_30_archive.html#4676798752529269112

Within four minutes they had increased the margain to three, after DaMarcus Beasley controlled a long ball from Cousin, rounded the keeper and slotted it home with his left foot. Though Lyon continued to press, and even finished the game with an astounding 32 shots and 14 corners, Rangers’ defense held tight and the game finished 3-0.

{Video highlights ...}

Up Next: Rangers have a tough few weeks ahead of them. This Saturday, in the Scottish Premier League, they face third place side Hibernian, who haven’t lost a match yet this year. After the international break, Rangers face their biggest rivals Celtic on the 20th, before hosting Barcelona in the Champions League on the 23rd.

16. Gers101

Gers101 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Scotland
    Hi everyone, Im a Rangers fan living in Scotland and I just want to give some information on the CL and Rangers/Damarcus Beasley. Most teams playing in the group stages of the CL find it really difficult in the away games because winning home games are crucial to ensure progress to the knock out stages, and so the home teams always make it really hard for the opposition.

This is why the 3 - 0 result tonight is so impressive from a Rangers point of view. Lyon are the French champions, and I think they have been for some number of years now, where as Rangers have just come out of a really bad season and we also havent won a cup in two years.

I dont think anyone expected Rangers to qualify from our group(nicknamed the group of Death in Scotland) when it was drawn.With Lyon being the French champs and Stuttgart being champions of Germany.Then there is
    Barcelona who arent all that bad either! So with two wins out of two, and both Stuttgart and Lyon yet to gain a point, this puts us in a great position to qualify.

As for Damarcus Beasley, I think he had a great second half.He really held the ball up well when defending and his goal was the pick of the bunch. The only real criticsm he gets in Scotland is that he has a very slight build and as a result he is sometimes disposed easlily when in posession.

Our manager Walter Smith has been rotating midfielders a lot and he says he has yet to find his prime starting eleven. However when Damarcus has played he has put in some great performances, especially his two crucial goals in europe, and he seems to be enjoying his football in Scotland so I look forward to watching him for the rest of the season.

Stay tuned for the first Barcelona game in a few weeks time, as we are set to Gub them when they come to Ibrox.:)

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its a distinct possibility with his height (short) and weight (thin) the wear and tear of playing a lot might take that wiry quick edge off him. But cycle him in and out of the lineup, keep him fresh for big games and he can give you full energy every time.

18. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Until when does DMB's contract run at Ibrox?

19. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    One of the things that I love about Beasley, and I think Rangers will learn to love, especially in the CL, is that he draws tons of fouls, but keeps bouncing back up and coming after the defense. This of course leads to cards, then leads to ejections, then leads to penalties, then leads to dangerous free kicks - ah, you know where I am going. Beasley may not be the most physically imposing winger, but he is tough, fast, and wily, three very good qualities to have.

I am wondering if Beasley continues to have a positive experience, if we won't see more Yanks going to the big two in Scotland, meaning Celtic and Rangers? If I recall correctly, there were at least rumors that Celtic was sniffing around at Szetela and Bradley. I think it would be a good situation, comparable to playing at PSV, Ajax, or Feyenoord in Holland. Sure, the leagues don't have the depth of the EPL, but you are guaranteed Champions League or, at worst, UEFA Cup play every season.

20. Gers101

Gers101 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Scotland
    DMB signed a Three year contract in the summer for about £700,000.

21. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Exactly, that's why I don't get the lightweight criticism. Sure he's small in stature and thus occasionally muscled off the ball, but he never shirks away from challenges and he plays tenancious defense. Not to mention, because of his speed/skillset, he gets fouled constantly and gets up every time. I think Rangers fans will grow to love him and I'm enjoying following Rangers. Never did particularly like Celtic.

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

£700,000 total for 3 years? or £700,000 per year?

23. Gers101

Gers101 New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Scotland
    Ive never particularly liked Celtic either mate.:)

The reason his general build has been highlighted again is because the Scottish football league's are more physical than the EPL and the dutch league.Because the SPL is more physical, DMB will be awarded less freekicks when he is disposed and the scottish refs will be more likely to allow the opposing team to play on. However this critiscm is quickly forgotten when he performs the way he did tonight.