Post-match: 10/15: Aw, f*ck it: Seattle vs. FCD

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ElJefe, Oct 15, 2017.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    burning247 didn't start a match thread for this match, and I can't really blame him.

FCD lost 4-0.

I actually didn't watch it, and felt vindicated when I saw the final, but didn't really need to, since I'm pretty sure I know how it went. The last three months have damn near broken me.

Air your grievances here.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hot take:

In retrospect, it's pretty clear that FCD should've sold Barrios and Urruti to San Lorenzo. We all would've hated it and we all would've considered it to be "HSG being HSG," but they would've been only slightly less productive for FCD in Argentina than they've been the past couple months in Frisco.

cowtown, burning247 and TCS35 repped this.
  3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 ElJefe, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Hot take #2:

Play the kids in the finale. I don't care to see this impotent bunch of limp dicks even one more time this year, no matter how good their chances are for the playoffs. (And since they need for Minnesota to get a result in San Jose in order for FCD to make the playoffs, LOL at the idea of playoffs.)

TheZo, burning247 and TCS35 repped this.
  4. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a cluster. As soon as the second goal went in, you could see their heads drop. This team is mentally weak on top of everything else.
    Gonzalez needs to learn how to deflect shots away from goal and not directly in front of him. You can go on all day, but the bottom line is this team needs to go back to fundamentals.
    Is there an expansion draft next year? No need to talk about playoffs. We should be talking about who is worth protecting.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As disappointing as I can remember FCD playing. But not surprising. I still hope we make the playoffs - but I have no doubt we would get bounced fast.

This season is a whole is an enigma though as it mostly the same players as last year.

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks, Dustin. I've had a horrible week at work and somehow forgot to start the thread. Watching this game was the cherry on the sundae.

Can't really add much more that hasn't already been said. Just terrible from back to front. Many need to be shown the exit. Pareja needs to do some long soul searching and find that winning spark he had in 2015-2016.

I don't want us to make the playoffs for 2 reasons...

1) I don't want the FO to be able to say "yeah, it was disappointing...but we made the playoffs! We're clearly still doing everything correctly."

2) I can't stomach watching us get our ass kicked in Seattle again.

7. TheZo

TheZo Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I turned off the match after the second Seattle goal. I also saw their heads drop and knew they were done. I had avoided spoilers until then, but after that goal went online to see the final score and wanted to puke. Where did their magic go?

8. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Offense and goals can come and go, but I've been disappointed in our leaky inconsistent defense. Javi may have been somewhat responsible for the first goal, but Hedges and Fig, our best defenders failed to react at all to Hernandez standing between them unmarked ready to receive the killer pass that lead to the goal.
    On the second goal, Dempsey was able to run around Hedges to get to Jesse's awful rebound. After that I FFd through the rest of the game on DVR.
    Until then, I thought they had done OK (not great) on attack. At halftime FCD had outshot Seattle 9-6.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good point. We actually dominated up until Seattle's goal. Just goes to show you the quality difference. We can knock on the door all day but all they needed was Dallas F-up to take the lead.

10. GaSarge

GaSarge Member

FC Dallas, Liverpool, Bayern Munich,
    United States
    Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My frustration is the lack of production from the dudes we brought in and the lack of "real" skill we brought in or have on the roster (Grana-brings nothing to offense, Lamah-extremely frustrating and inconsistent, Colman cant hit the barn much less the broadside) Vets (Akindele-never been that impressed with him as an overall baller, Harris-way overrated and not an overly skilled player).

We are getting passed by teams who are willing to spend a little more and get better talent and the thought was we were producing our own (not been playing the youth lately) but we are only playing vets. while others, like Atlanta, are getting young good talent that are making a huge difference in the league. You don't have to break the bank but you got to spend a little and find solid talent not hopeful talent.

Maybe it is just a perfect storm of bad performances compounded by a couple of players wanting to leave, bad timing of injuries, etc., but I do not think it is all coincidence. I hope we miss the playoffs, people wakeup, do some soul searching clean out the crap and bring in some more young TALENT.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect there to someday be revelations about what happened this year. hedges must have an injury. Yes Barrios and Urrutti haven't been the same since the broken deal and not playing the kids killed what the DNA of this team.

TCS35 and cowtown repped this.
  12. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be perfectly fine seeing only the following "big name" players return: Figueroa, Hedges, Zimmerman, Gruezo, Acosta, Gonzalez, Seitz.
    I wish Maxi wanted to stay but he wants out.
    Harris and Akindele have brick feet and need to be in div 2.
    I want the others to go mostly because they are quitters. Yes, Diaz included.
    Oddly, I still want to see Colman given a long run with positive teammates.
    All the others that spent most of their time on the bench can stay except Morales.
    That is all... lol

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100000% disagree on Diaz. The guy hasn’t been his best, but he’s still recovering from a pretty major injury that put him completely on the shelf for several months.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  14. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this sentiment too. I think it was Hitman who warned us not to get our hopes up with Diaz given the type of injury. He came back a little faster than anticipated but his form has never truly returned. If he doesn't improve next season then maybe it is time to let him go.

Colman flat out needs to play. I am worried about the guy though. Something obviously isn't clicking since Pareja chose to play a 5'2" winger, and the team assist leader, as a the loan forward in a must win game. None of that makes sense.

As for the other transfers brought in Grana and Lamah can go. Not a big loss IMO and take up quite a bit of salary. Younger guys can back up. The rest (Chala, Cermeno, Luis Gonzalez) actually have to play some minutes to know anything. Clavijo's feet should be held to the flames with this mess.

15. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hate to break it to you guys, but FCD is not likely to make significant changes this offseason.
    With the SCCL starting in February, FCD will likely focus strictly on reinforcements.

Many of the team's issues can be solved by Diaz and Zimmerman getting healthy.
    The new guys will likely return, and will likely play better with a full season under their belt.
    I expect Chala back, and I expect FCD to go into a full 3-5-2 (3-2-3-2) next season:
    Gonzalez
    Zim-Hedges-Fig
    Gruezo-Acosta
    Grana-Diaz-Chala
    Barrios-Urruti
    The 4-5-1 will still be used at times.

Team needs:
    Solid 3rd CB
    Utility defender capable of playing LB.
    Left Mid to challenge Lamah (likely solved with the return of Chala)
    Sub capable of playing anywhere on the attacking 3rd.
    See which young players are ready to produce (Cannon and Pomykal)
    Replace any starter sold.

All subs added, must be capable of pushing the starters for playing time.

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully expect Urruti to be gone this offseason. He wants to go back to Argentina, and his contract is only for one more season. Might as well get a few bucks for him now, rather than have him be here and unhappy for the 2018 season, and then lose him for nothing.

Now, that being said, can FCD give him more money and help him out with his family situation? Sure. But as I've understood the situation, it's not been a money issue, but I guess that they can help the situation by spending a bit more money.

But whether Urruti stays or goes, FCD needs, NEEDS, NEEDS another scorer. Urruti has been the only reliable scorer this season, and the team went into the tank when his scoring went into the tank.

17. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's a good thing TAM is expected to increase by 2 million. FCD will definitely find a way to spend that money on attacking options.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure they can spend another 2 million on another Colman!

19. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
  20. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Diaz's overall body of work has been a minor disappointment. First, I have to mention that he has missed an entire season's worth of games at least. Yet his productivity isn't exactly top class in MLS. Briefly, if you score goals=2 and assists=1, and weight by the number of games played (summing scores), you get the following ranking of #10's in the league. I know this is not the best analysis, because many players switch positions - but it is at least some metric.

The eyeball test will tell you that Piatti, Valeri, and Lodiero are better than Diaz. I don't think most would argue against that.

For this FCD system to actually work, we need Diaz to jump to the top of this list for next season, or we need a #10 who can increase our goals scored column.

Piatti 1.26
    Valeri 1.15
    Schelotto 1.05
    Higuain 0.97
    Lodiero 0.84
    Lee Nguyen 0.79
    Ferreira 0.77
    Diaz 0.74
    Javi 0.72
    Kljestan 0.69
    Benny 0.59
    Rosales 0.48

VivaIslamico repped this.
  21. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not spending money, certainly isn't the answer. I'd rather they spend and fail, than not spend at all.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I agree. They just need to be a lot smarter. Any predictions on who leaves? I can maybe see a mass migration and think perhaps that somewhat contributed to the veteran heavy lineup this year. They were going for it. I'll guess Acosta, Urruti and Barrios. I would have added Zimmerman and Gruezo but they didn't play that well this year. Gonzales is a wild card - if he has real ambition he needs to go to Europe too.

TCS35 repped this.
  23. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Like I said, I don't expect a lot of changes.

I expect gone: Javi Mo, Walker Hume, Cariaco, Urruti
    Could be gone, but not a given: Seitz, Acosta, Attiba, Chala, Grana, Craft, Zim
    Year loan: Adonijah Reid

TCS35 repped this.
  24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How bad have Cariaco and Colman been in training to not see the field during this shit show of a 2nd half of the season?

25. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Colman will get his shot when Urruti is gone, so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Cariaco, in limited minutes, has 40% pass completion. Clearly Cariaco is a player that comes from a different system, and needs a full season just to get settled in.
    I'm curious to see if Cariaco's loan is for a half season, or a full year loan.