1 to 32: World Cup 2014 Qualification watch

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MIGkiller, Oct 17, 2012.

1. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Blasphemy!

2. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #252 Unak78, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    ...and Africans get tired of the overwhelming majority of the media's conversation about Africa only focusing on poverty, eugenics and wild animals running all over the place 90% of the time except for the marginal respite every time that the World Cup comes around. There are, and have been, other things in Africa besides safaris and starving kids. Guess what, the media has it's common memes and fixations that it likes to go back to over and over and over. It happens, and sometimes you just learn to deal with it.

If you don't like it then don't listen to it. There's always going to be speculation about a sporting competition and it will usually encompass the possibility of surprise winners, qualifiers, etc. What gets everyone excited on this board? The possibility of first time qualifiers. Look at how much press Tahiti got at the Confed or North Korea at the World Cup in 2010.

Yes, alot of this talk stems from Pele's prediction, but CAF comprises many of the newer representatives at the competition. But, outside of Cameroon, most of CAF's likely representatives qualified for the first time after the end of the 1980s. Two of it's best sides only began qualifying within the past decade. There were alot of exciting results from those early sides with Nigeria at one point being ranked in the top 10, beating countries like Spain and taking Argentina and Italy to the wire while playing open attacking football. So it makes sense to speculate. People speculate all the time about the USA and Mexico as well every World Cup and the ppl who act annoyed about that are just as myopic. If you don't like hearing about the USA speculation, then don't listen. Simple.

Why must all the topic of conversation around World Cup time involve fawning over how awesome South America and Europe are? Yes they've won World Cups, and noone disputes that the best football remains there, but it's called speculation for a reason. Noone wants to sit and talk about only one thing. You may not like it, but there are people who are interested otherwise the media wouldn't bring it up. It's something that you're going to have to deal with and learn to tune out if it isn't to your liking. Talking shit about African teams to the point that you're massively underrating them will change none of that, but in fact likely lead to more Africa talk. Your choice.

Hell, my responding to this statement right now will probably lead to more obnoxious wild statements about the quality of African football. I guess I might need to take my own medicine or maybe I just like internet arguments. Or maybe I'm just that bored.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #253 zahzah, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    First off, we're talking about Ghana 2013 vs Brasil 2013. You know... with a midfield focused around Oscar and Ramires... not one around Ronaldinho and Kaka. Ghana's midfield was Appiah and Muntari + a couple of scrubs, now its Asamoah, Essien (admitedly past his prime), KPB, Muntari, Ayew + several other quality players.
    Second off, Ghana's midfield was much weaker in 2006 than it was in 2010 and even weaker than in 2013.
    Thirdly, Ghana did not lose the midfield battle against any of these teams. They lost the defensive and attacking battle. For example, the goal Ghana lost against Uruguay came from a defensive blunder by Paintsil who needlessly fouled Suarez (?) in a very dangerous area, thus allowing Forlan to deliver a blow. I never wrote Ghana has a better team. I wrote they have a world class midfield. Spot the difference.
    Fourth issue, just as a reminder Ghana played Brasil without their best midfield player at the tournament (Essien at his prime) as they did against Uruguay (Ayew).
    And lastly - do we really need to get back to how Ghana was 'eliminated' in 2010?

4. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I give credit where its due. I said Ghana were very good and took full advantage of Egypt's lack of confidence. You don't understand how internal problems work, of course they will think about giving their people a glimmer of hope but doesn't take away that all those problems that happen in Egypt doesn't effect them. It is really difficult to focus on something very demanding when you have a lot on your mind. Johan Cruyff thought the same thing when in 1978 he withdraw from the The Netherlands squad as his family was involved in a kidnapping case. When I tuned in to Ghana - Egypt I thought the same thing as you, but saw how Egypt played without any confidence and how Ghana kept overrunning them I knew it was going to be one way traffic.
    Ghana doesn't have the best midfields in the world, it's good but just subtop. There are plenty of weak points in it; Essien is old and injury prone and barely even plays now at Chelsea. Muntari plays because Milan just doesn't have anything better. Udinese is no longer the team it was just a few years ago and Badu is far from their best player. They do gel very well together however but I doubt they will hold under strong opposition. I wouldn't lambaste Ghana's offense Andre Ayew is together with Prince-Boateng their best player and is arguably Marseille's sole bright point in this disappointing season. The defense is terrible though.

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #255 zahzah, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    A few things:
    Essien - he is 30, has been phenomenal this season whenever given a chance to play (just watch Chelsea vs Arsenal), him being injury prone will become an issue when it becomes an issue. Yes, this isn't the Essien that was the best midfielder in the world, but he's still pretty darn good and would start in most midfields in the world.
    Muntari - isn't even guaranteed a starting slot for Ghana, apart from that even Milan fans agree the guy is a big game player
    Badu - will only likely start for Ghana if two-three players ahead of him are injured or suspended
    You mention Ayew and KPB... But absolutely no mention of Kwadwo Asamoah...

Ghana's best midfield features Michael Essien, Andre Ayew, Kwadwo Asamoah, Kevin Prince Boateng. If Appiah plays 5 midfielders (which he doesn't lately) then slot in Sulley Muntari, Wakaso Mubarak or Mohamed Rabiu.

And like Unak78: Not only are they players class, they also have a winning mentality and great on-field chemistry.

You keep saying Ghana's defence is terrible. Not to rain on your parade but you still commenting based on the one game vs Egypt, where Ghana featured (due to injuries / suspensions) their starting RB as a LB, the third choice RB and the 4th and 5th choice CBs - a configuration that was used for the first time in a Ghana national team. If I wasn't aware that you are judging Ghana's defence on their crisis mode defensive line I would let it slide. But you've basically judged Ghana's defensive line based on that game, so I really can't hold your opinion in high regard.

---

Last thing: No one said Ghana have the best midfield in the world, so don't project. Obviously Germany, Italy and Spain are outside of contention. Ghana is below them vying for the 4th spot with teams like Brasil and Belgium. So if Germany, Italy and Spain are the top, than I agree Ghana are subtop.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well last thing... Ghana's midfield held out pretty darn well against opposition such as Italy, Czech Rep, Germany, Uruguay, basically shielding the flawed defensive line and providing an attacking outlet. In all honesty I haven't seen Ghana's midfield lose out in any game since 2006. If Ghana lose games its because of their defence or attack, they never lose a game in midfield (i.e. even the Essien-less defeat to Brasil in 2006 was lost due to a poor defensive highline, that was exposed by the Brasil frontline).

And the 2013 Ghana midfield is the strongest and deepest midfield yet.

7. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Ghana do have one of the best midfields in the world, that is indisputable, and it's not just the names, but the way they play together. I don't even recall a game where their MF was outplayed, as long as the majority of their starters were there. Even in their 3-0 loss to Brazil in 2006, their midfield totally controlled the game, and as Zaza stated it was defensive blunders that did them in. Ghana will be going to Brazil (so long as no shock takes place in Cairo) with their best and most complete squad yet. They seem to have resolved their goal scoring problems of the past and have many legitimate attacking options with an even more solidified midfield. Defence and Goalkeeping are the only question marks. So long as they stay relatively injury free the sky is the limit for them, I'd say they have a decent chance to improve on 2010.

8. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Well finally it appears that we have found the problem!
    Your guys are participating in the wrong tournaments!
    There are 3 v 3 tournaments all over the place now, I suggest they enter there.
    Mods please open a 3 v 3 forum so these guys start making sense for a change.
    Thanks.

:rolleyes:

9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    [​IMG]

Unak78 repped this.
  10. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...ica-v-asia-play-off-highlights-185716103.html

:laugh:

11. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    going to laugh if Iceland manages to break Croatia after 0-0 in Iceland :)

12. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Jumping the gun again... Egypt still have 3 minutes to score 4 goals!

Unak78 repped this.
  14. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Happy to see Ghana thru and Bob Bradly finish his tenure in Egypt with a win in Cairo. He has nothing to hold his head down about. Noone could have done a better job than he did. He was unfortunate that CAF still uses a horrible qualifying system. Hopefully all of the bitching that's going on about it right now will get them to move on something better for 2018. Even the previous system wasn't the best bc it gave too much reliance on which group you were placed in.

15. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Red card for Croatia in the first half!

Algeria tied their second leg and it's in extra time, right now!

Good stuff!

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Good joke mate:D

18. Vast Research

Vast Research New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Burkina Faso didn't even look like they were trying to even it up till the last 4 minutes.

19. Vast Research

Vast Research New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Croatia #27 btw

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huh, they still have half an hour to play? And also Romania-Greece will end first, so as long as Romania don't send it to extra time, Greece will qualify before Croatia.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  21. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ukraine is in choke mode.

22. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Same african teams that qualified for 2010 in the pitch, made it again for 2014.
    ;)

zahzah and Unak78 repped this.
  24. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's a long time ago I saw Greece playing. I hope they don't play as your smiley suggests at the World Cup.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  25. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I felt that Algeria had the clear advantage with those away goals. But the wrong North African rep went thru this year. Should have been Egypt. That said. I like the consistancy. Africa doesn't need to send new teams all the time. Nice to see that the best sides are solidifying and even more impressive with the qualifying setup.