1-32: FIFA World Cup qualification timeline

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Fuera del Area, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we did a thread on this four years ago and I couldn't find the 2018 edition anywhere, I thought this would be a place where we could track all the teams who are in position to qualify for Russia.

March 28:

BRAZIL can qualify to the 2018 World Cup with a win and losses by both Ecuador and Chile.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think they also qualify with a win combined with: Chile and Argentina losses.

3. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    In the spirit of the other thread (and given it's "1-32")

1. Russia

("Qualified" on 2 December 2010 when the hosts were announced. I have no more information about that date)

J

4. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has a team qualified this early for the WC Finals?

5. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    If Brazil do it would be early compared to the last couple of times. Usually AFC teams start qualifying in the June window - and the Netherlands also achieved that for 2010 - which must seem like an awful long time ago for them now,

J

Fuera del Area repped this.
  6. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  7. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How? If Iran beats China and loses on Matchdays 8 and 9, they will have 17 points with 1 game left. If Uzbekistan loses to Qatar and wins on Matchdays 8 and 9, they will have 15 points with 1 game left. They could pass Iran on Matchday 10 if they won and Iran lost. Uzbekistan ends against Korea Republic, but if Korea Republic wins their next 3 games they will have 19 points before playing Uzbekistan.

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Together with what you posted.
    Asuming that Syria would lose next match to South Korea, if they win their 2 next matches vs. China and Qatar, they would reach 14 points, so going into the last match date preciselly against Iran whom would have only 17 by then, if they happen to beat Iran for that last match date, they would add up the same amount of points as Iran, where goal diferentiate can leave anyone of both of them out, for the 3rd place of the group. And if in this case Iran doesn't finish among the 3 best teams in the group (2 direct, while 3rd plays the 3rd of the other group for the playoff spot), means they would get get the honour of getting a position number on the other thread related to the timeline of eliminated teams..... :p

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    To clinch its qualification for certain, Iran still need 6 more points from its remaining 4 games. In fact, by my count, the earliest when Iran can clinch qualifying is 12 June, when Iran plays against Uzbekistan in Tehran. I certainly hope we will have done the job by then and not have to wait any longer for our last 2 games (against S.Korea away and Syria in Tehran).

As an aside, while our chances look pretty good at this point, I still don't give us the 97% odds that some bookies are giving us to qualify. I see our chances at this point to be around 70%. If the scenario you mention unfolds, namely Iran beats China and the Uzbeks lose to Qatar, then I would start giving Iran better than 90% odds. But even 90% is not 100% and I won't be comfortable until we have actually clinched.

11. ineedanewname

ineedanewname Member

May 16, 2007
    Iran Air
    As FIFA.com pointed out Iran will indeed qualify tmw if we beat China and both Korea and Uzbekistan lose their matches. As that will have Iran opening a 7 point gap on koreans and 8 point gap on uzbeks with 3 games left and since uzbekistan and korea will be playing each other theres no way both can pass Iran.

12. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iran cannot qualify just yet even if they win and South Korea and Uzbekistan both lose.

Iran wins tomorrow and loses out. They'll be at 17. Syria could win out and get to 20 points. South Korea could lose their remaining matches and max out at 16. Uzbekistan would max out at 18 if they lose tomorrow and win out, thus leapfrogging Iran. So the only way to guarantee Iran qualifying with only 17 points is if South Korea vs Uzbekistan ends in a draw, and that won't be until later this year.

13. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm just wondering what you think will happen to Syria if Korea lose tomorrow. Like, don't you think they'll get some points for doing that. Like, maybe enough to pass Korea in the table.

J

14. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I think it would be fair on the poster to point out here that FIFA possibly did make this mistake - but have updated the article since. (While the title is now "Iran look to edge closer" the link address - and presumably the original title is "Iran eye early qualification")

Still, don't believe everything you read, eh?

J

15. ineedanewname

ineedanewname Member

May 16, 2007
    Iran Air
    Yep it's FIFAs fault they've changed their article now. Totally forgot about them playful syrians.

16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Don't rely too much on FIFA.com
    They usually make even more mistakes than wikpiedia ....:p

17. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the FIFA.com article was written with the assumption that Syria wouldn't beat Uzbekistan on a last-minute PK, because had that match finished in a draw, Iran would be able to qualify in a few hours.

18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    They have no excuses.

they are simply a bunch of useless fvk-ups.

With all the money they win, they can perfectly hire more competent people, to avoid this sort of embarrasment, but it's easier and lots cheaper to not do much over it instead. :sick:

19. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In your dreams.

+PL+ and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Won't Brasil qualify today if they win vs Paraguay and Ecuador and Chile lose?

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yes, 33 points will put them at least 2nd at the end of Conmebol qualifiers (if not first, depending on what the other teams do). For facts, with the 30 points they already have, they might already be ready, but up to today, mathematically some other teams might still catch up.

22. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 Fuera del Area, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Looking ahead to the qualification matches in June, I have the following scenarios:

AFC:
    IRAN qualifies for the World Cup with:
    - a win
    - a draw + South Korea loss

An Iran win puts them out of reach of both Uzbekistan and Syria. For the second scenario, Iran would get to 18 points, and both South Korean and Uzbekistan would max out at 19, except they both play each other on the last match day in September. Therefore, only one would be able to surpass Iran.

EDIT: BRAZIL is already in. Argentina could win out and get to 34, but in doing so, Uruguay could only get to 32 points.

23. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Isn't Brazil mathematically in already? The Brazilian press is saying so..

24. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    I think with Uruguay losing they are. Argentina has to win every game - which means beating Uruguay - which means Uruguay can't catch them

J

25. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Russia (2 December 2010)
    2. Brazil (28 March 2017)

Rickdog repped this.