1/22/09 - donovan:fsv mainz vs bayern

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by luvdagame, Jan 22, 2009.

1. austieaust1

austieaust1 Member

Nov 20, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I really think Donovan will go. He's good, He'll play, and get challenged to improve.
    I'm not as much of a Eurosnob. My theory is to seek your own level. Some players need to go to Europe to challenge themselves and play vs a higher level because they're good. But on the other hand we don't need players sitting on benches either. I like the situations of Donovan, Altidore, Spector, Howard, Dempsey, Edu (he'll play next yr). I'm confused about Adu. Others need to play and MLS is a good league where roster limitations ensure that Americans see the field. I always thought Gaven and Mapp should have gone to Europe to get a kick in the pants, but their demeanors are as if they are just so shy and not going to fight through the difficulties of playing in Europe. For them playing in MLS is just fine. I wish they had some fight in them.

What do you mean Garber doesn't want to sell for a profit? Of course MLS wants to make appropriate money when they do sell. Proper valuation is best course of business. I don't think Garber said he doesn't want to sell for a profit, (Whatever that means). I thought he once said he didn't want to become a selling league, selling all of it's top talent. ( I still don't know what he meant, because they have almost sold anyone who got a proper offer) Maybe except Twellman and Cooper. I don't remember their offers but they may have been low.

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm enjoying two things about this...

First, that Landon...yes, it's a bunch of winter break friendlies...is playing well and apparently having fun...the third time may be the charm after all.

Second...I'm loving the fact that The Mexicutioner (pat. pend.) looks to be in both game-shape and in form for February 11th. :D

4. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    "Vee r German. Vee now dees friendly ist inshignificant. Jajajajajaja"

5. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Agreed. I am starting to pity the defenders that are going to have to chase bunny rabbit Donovan from minutes 60-90 in a match (when he comes in fresh). Bayern is really going to punish some teams, and I'm starting to think 5-0 might not be so unusual a score going forward.

6. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perhaps 5-4 against quality opponents seems more appropriate

7. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006
  8. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like LD had another good match, lets hope he keeps it rolling in the Bundesliga.

9. mick357

mick357 New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I think MLS will sell LD and he will stay at BM, for marketing reasons:

Having LD play at Bayern makes him the poster boy for MLS. MLS can then say that the best in MLS can play with the best in Europe. It legitimizes the league, and maybe, just maybe, it gets some of those knowlegeable MLS-hater fans to buy into MLS - you know, the ones in the US who will watch Chelsea or Barca all Sunday but won't go to or watch an MLS game, ever.

10. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so that is goal in every 60 minutes of play.

11. othakidfrmaltalomahs

Jan 25, 2008
    RC/ALTA LOMA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe....
    i really hope he gets sold....

i hope MLS really opens their eyes on this one...idk why they keep denying they are a developmental league...:rolleyes:

12. herewego

herewego Member

Jun 1, 2004

They simply not celebrate too much, because they are a world class team playing against underdogs. Has to do with respect and fairness against a minor team and their fans, especially as visitors.

In a friendly against Milan or ManUtd it could be different.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Open MS word. Create 2 columns. On the left side, list all of the players MLS has sold in the last 5 years. On the right side, list all of the players whom MLS refused to sell at a reasonable price (i.e., NOT Shalrie Joseph for $1M) in the same time period.

Which list is like 4 times longer than the other?

And again

:rolleyes:

Unwad your panties and look at the facts, people. They sold Altidore. They sold Dempsey. They're selling Kljestan. They sold Guzan and Perkins. They sold Bradley and Arguez. They sold Edu, they sold Adu. They sold Beasley. They stole money from Fulham for Eddie Johnson. And so on.

The only reasonable (IMO) offers they turned down was for Twellman and Cooper. And in the case of Twellman for sure, the LEAGUE was willing to sell; it was the Revs who vetoed the deal. The same appears to be the case with Cooper.

I'll say this...I wouldn't be happy to be drafted by the Revs. That team, specifically, doesn't seem to treat its players fairly or even intelligently. Yeah, the Joseph offer was inadequate, but my recollection is that the Revs did NOT say, that's not enough money, let's talk. They just said "no."

The rest of the league does right by its players.

Anyway, this is one of bigsoccer's dumbest myths.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's write. Er, right. :D

And that's why US-Mexico is never really a friendly. Players celebrate those goals.

15. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Leiwike of the Galaxy has already gone on record in the past and said that he thought a better model for the game here would include the best American players leaving MLS and going to Europe. This was stated either before or after WC06. I doubt his perspective is different now or that he will kill a deal.

BUT, they may play hardball over a fee and drag it out a bit depending on what Munich bids. $10million would be fair. If so, LD would have basically more than paid for himself.

16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    $10million would be fair. I also believe that 2 or 3 years from now that will be viewed as Bayern raping MLS.

17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll never forget that brilliant spot-on lob pass Johnny O made to Mathis over South Korean defenders in '02. That whole goal sequence was absolute class. One of the most memorable USMNT goals I've ever witnessed.

18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leiwike speaks out of both sides of his mouth, depending on what is beneficial TO HIM at the time.

When Donovan left the EQs to go to Leverkusen in 2005 and then came back to the Galaxy, Leiweke was saying that we need players like Donovan staying in MLS and selling the sport to America.

In 2007, when Beckham was coming here and Adu and Altidore were up and coming stars, that's when Leiweke was saying that it's better for the better American players to leave MLS while MLS brings in the established stars from Europe.

It's 2009. His team hasn't made the playoffs for 3 years. He's about to lose the best player on his team. Be interesting to hear Leiweke-speak now.

19. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH, they can't ever be more than a development league until they start putting an attractive product on the field, drawing fans and the revenue needed to pay for better players. i can't see envision this happening until USA international Stars start returning from Europe as their careers start to wind down. Of course, we have to develop a few "International stars" first (e.g Donovan ? Altidore ?) and wait for their return.

20. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I say this over and over, but MLS has to accept its role as a feeder league before it can grow even more. If young players see that MLS can benefit their career in Europe, then MLS will see more young talented players. The most talented players the league has, the more likely they are to keep some of them longer.

21. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes more sense for the league to sell him. If the league can show that it's best young players, domestic and foreign, are doing well in other leagues, then they can have a better chance of signing talented youngsters: Altidore, Dempsey, Toja, Donovan, and now hopefully Montero.

22. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also might help draw some YAs back to the US. Instead of floundering in Europe, they'll say "hey, Landon left Europe for MLS and resurrected his career, maybe I could do the same".

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you can say it til you are blue. They sell players but they want a respectable price. Our wanting to watch Landon on Gol TV does not really mean that MLS has to call a fire-sale on their best assets. $10M is a completely reasonable price.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    nah, his house sucks. ;)