1/22/09 - donovan:fsv mainz vs bayern

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by luvdagame, Jan 22, 2009.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for you guys: should I move this discussion over to the main forum?

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, it'll die naturally when the next gameday thread gets posted.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood. That's kind of why I asked, actually. It's not an problematic discussion, but it's bound to get pushed to the bottom of the page simply because of where it is. So I thought I'd ask the participants if they want it moved to the main Donovan thread (or a breakout thread) in the main YA forum.

So, not being the Grim Reaper. Instead, the Somewhat Obliging Re-potter.

4. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it. If there were anything new or groundbreaking in this thread, I'd say go to the trouble of separating it out. But it's mostly the same old, and the same things are being discussed in several other threads and fora. Save yourself the trouble.

5. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, we looked awful in that second half. First half wasn't quite so bad -- ( except for the amateurish miscommunication on Bayern's first goal). However, a big reason being, as stated by coach Andersen, before the game--- Most important is that no one gets hurt in this game, as the big (big for us, anyway) Cup game on Thrs. is coming up. Also, this wasn't just a friendly, it was even less important (if that's possible)... it was a benefit game (proceeds went to the renovation/1000yr celebration of the Mainz Cathedral---Props to FCB for that, actually, they take a lot of stick, but they did a good deed for the city of Mainz here). But it made for a lousy game, Bance', for instance, looked like he couldn't wait to get out of there and down to Hafeneck n' have a Kirner. That said, the difference in class between FCB and our Karnivalsverein is obviously wide.

Landon looked good in person though. So strange to see him in a FCB kit. His movement away from the ball impressed me more than the goals, as well as a couple instances of really pressing the backline. Much more animated than I can recall him being in a long time. Still like to see him try to go 1v.1 more, but you can't have everything...