1/19/09 Robles, Donovan: Kaiserslautern v Bayern (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Zak1FCK, Jan 17, 2009.

1. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL

I thought the cross was top class, the goal looks even better from the reverse angle in the highlight a few pages back.:)

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With LD's touch and speed, he's going to help Bayern A LOT. I hope he proves me right..

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Nice goal. Landon's doing well so far, exactly what he needs to do. He's showing he can do the job. He just has to prove he can do it when the intensity steps up for real games and he's got to show the ability to do it consistently. It's a big order playing for a team like Bayern. But, so far, so good.

4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    who gives this?

5. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    yeah, this is completely wrong. he scores with his left foot all the time.

6. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to see him doing so well. Hopefully he can translate this to the Bundesliga. If bought, Donovan is gonna get some good chances in the Champions Leauge as well, and the thought of him playing makes me estatic.

7. tsaldana3

tsaldana3 Member

Apr 26, 2008
    TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hehe, that was bundesliga.... although it was a Bundes 2 team. (and a friendly) It still is bundesliga quality. :D

8. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what I mean.;) Anyways, how many more friendlies does Bayern have before the real matches start? One I believe.

9. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, by that math,

Donavan 2008/2009 = Beckham 2001/2002.

Both about age 26 in those years.

Hmmm....

10. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The simple fact is that if he is signed by Bayern and spends some time there with any success he is "in" so to speak. Rarely does a player drop to an insignificant club after that.

By the way, anyone see the Hoffenheim match vs. Bayern? Tony was absolute shite until he scored the winner. That is the way he plays. It was cruel for Hoffenheim but that is what top class players do to you--LD included.

11. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Actually, the Eurotrash crowd was insisting that he probably couldn't make it at a club in any of the big four (I recall the oft-made suggestion he limit his vision to mid-tier French clubs), and the pro-US crowd was saying he was saying he probably could.

Being third striker at Bayern and reguarly scoring, if it works out that way, is beyond the wildest dreams of either camp. But you're right that we won't know the answer for a year.

12. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Its true he can score with hard direct shot. What is not true is that he has tremendous accuracy or frequently crosses with his left foot. That is what I meant.

13. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    well, not many players have "tremendous accuracy" with either foot, let alone their off-foot. i'd definently say he is solidly above average as a two footed player.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Landon has a damn good left.

15. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006
  16. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    Nice goal and great vision and execution on that pass to Toni although it wasn't easy to convert. LD has never been able to play with this kind of talent surrounding him. I think it will bring out his best. The third striker role will be very good for him.

17. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It is getting easier, though. Landon was brought in because Podolski complains about being the third forward and Landon won't. The more Lando plays like this, the easier it is to sell Podolski, buy Landon, and keep the change (and I don't think the league will ask so much that there isn't change).

I have observed something like that, too. It's easier to stay in the club than it was to get there.

18. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Pardon my ignorance but will LD be playing the Champions League for Bayern. I believe they drew Sporting Lisbon in the next round.

IIRC there is a roster limit and I'm not sure how a player on loan fits into that. He certainly isn't cup-tied.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To my knowledge Champions League rosters for this upcoming round have not been set. I'm sure once the winter transfer window closes clubs will have to submit their rosters. Seeing how Klinsi has stated Landon is his #3 striker, I have no doubt Landon will be on the roster.

20. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is without a transfer or extended loan LD is due back to the MLS by I believe March 15th. So if they put Donovan on the roster he would only be available against Sporting Lisbon. The match dates are 2/25 and 3/10.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, I was unaware of when the fixtures were for this round. I have to rethink what I previously said. But do we reasonably think Donovan will be back in MLS? My guess is that the loan will be extended and movement will be made towards a permanent deal. I think if Landon is indeed on that roster, it will tell us exactly Landon's plans------i.e. if he returns or is his loan is extended. Now, we'll have a captive audience just waiting for the CL roster to be released because it will gives us a sign. ;)

22. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    I think it's great that Landon's had some success over the past month. However, I fail to see how getting our best field player 20-30 minutes of playing time at Bayern Munich during a WCQ year is helpful. Sure he'll play in the B1, and sure he's training with the first team - he'll get sharper to the extent he gets into games and maybe he'll even get some CL action, but that's a far cry from going 90 minutes in each match. That said, who knows, maybe he will become a regular in time. And as others have said, there's always the dreaded injury bug.

Nonetheless, in April when MLS is ticking along, Lando could very well be in a supersub role, or if things don't go as planned, he could be getting Cardiff'd. If I'm Bob, which I'm obviously not, I probably don't want my best player and captain playing only 20-30 minutes per game in the Bundesliga during a WCQ year. I'd rather have him return to MLS this year and go abroad after the WC in '10. Is that crazy?

23. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think LD will be back. The problem is hammering out a deal before the roster deadline. I don't think Bayern will chance not having a third forward,or less a spot on the roster, should the advance.

24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a risk, because obviously we did extremely well in qualifying last time, a lot of which was due to Donovan's play and leadership, and he wouldn't have to worry about getting minutes for the Galaxy. But it's probably worth the risk, and he's only going to stagnate at the Galaxy at this point in his career. Also, Boca is captain. I won't argue the best player part.

25. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really don't think 20-30 minutes a match (and, if he really is the 3rd forward, a few spot starts) in the B1 and training day in and day out with players like Klose, Toni, Ribery, etc. is better preparation and development than going 90 in MLS? I like the MLS but Donovan has moved beyond it. The league has nothing left to teach him. The difference at this point between the two options is Donovan getting better (at Munich) vs just retaining his match fitness (at The Galaxy). Not that I think match fitness is anything we need to worry about with him.