09/10 Ajax Thread (Part I) [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BTV802, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Generally speaking Ajax is not a club that thrives on thuggery, but that's not to say a certain level of toughness isn't important. We lost a bit of that grit and determination when we lost Vermaelen. I agree that we have some pretty boys on the squad, but not all of them are as soft as they look. Vertonghen's got a bit of a nasty streak (just ask Boschker & Velthuizen) and although Enoh is a bit reckless, he's generally very tough in the tackle.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You have had the luxury of only two managers in the past how many years? I don't know when Rutten started but it's been him and McClaren. We have had a different manager each 18 months and a front office that spoke great things but had no clue about how to run a club. I think that has all changed after the implementation of the Cornell report recommendations. Jol has a clue about how to manage a club and chose players which van Basten did not. Also look at the players that we've lost in the past three years: Huntelaar, Sneijder, Heitinga, Vermaelen. All are either starting or seeing significant playing time at their new clubs. Twente's only significant loss was Elia. Now all the Eredivisie clubs have to sell top talent to keep the books balanced (though I think this is rapidly changing given the recent UEFA report and the current economic downturn) but you can't compare the players lost.

The Ajax youth system is still producing good young players. If you look at the youth NTs there are far more Ajax players than Twente players (I think on the current under 17s there are six Ajax youth who start). Ok, so all of them won't progress to first team football but maybe some will. I think the club is finally on the right track after the years in the wilderness. You won't see this current management overspending for transfers (1. because of the financial issues and 2. because they are better at judging talent).

Maybe we pull something out of the hat this year, maybe not. I wouldn't mind finishing third and winning the cup. I would be ecstatic about finishing first or second. The proof of the pudding will be next year (with or without Suarez) and whether we make the necessary progress.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    This is a bit of a chicken and the egg story though. They always call up more Ajax players as a matter of course. Twente has won the youth league and the reserves league in the recent past. That didn't stop the managers of the youth teams calling up far more Ajax (and Feyenoord) players. This is something that is deeply engraved into Dutch football culture and it will take decades of the likes of Twente playing in the top three before it will change.

4. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question: do you think Twente will be in the top three for decades? I'm not asking to be pedantic - I'm really curious how you see Twente's long term future.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Munsterman unfolded Twente's new five year plan in january of this year (and there's no need to doubt that plan as he's stuck to the letter of the previous five year plan even though he was laughed at at initially). This summer the second stadium expansion phase will start and then in 2011 the third one. In five years' time we'll have a capacity of over 40,000 plus added value facilities such as a hotel and conference centre. With larger capacity comes ever increasing revenue as the stadium is ours and all services in it are under our management. This coupled with the fact that PSV and Ajax have hit a revenue ceiling (as in no chance in hell in the CL) makes it pretty much certain that we'll stay in the top four at least for years to come.

On VI TV last night they said they researched club fanbases. Ajax has by far the largest fanbase in the country but its fanbase stays about the same. Twente by contrast has grown its fanbase by a staggering 200% over the past two years. We're becoming a pretty big club, not sure how aware people outside of the NL are of this.

6. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see Twente being a consistent top four finisher for a while, especially considering how weak Ajax and, to an even greater extent, 010 are in this day and age. Eventually those teams will pick it up (although I think Ajax will do it before 010) but until then a team that maximizes its potential in the way Twente does stands to benefit a lot.

I know Munsterman has a good plan, and I admit to not knowing too much about the Twente catchment area, but I still wonder if this next stadium expansion isn't a bridge too far. Then again, NFL owners get rich while their teams play in half-full stadia, so who knows.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    This has all been properly researched. We've a catchment area with a population of 600,000 people. And that's not even counting in Germany - we're quite literally on the border as you know - and the fact that we're increasingly popular outside Twente itself. We have 14 supporters associations at the moment, the newest one is from fans in the prove of Gelderland. You also have to remember that in the 1970s we sold out capacity crowds of 40,000. This isn't new or anything. Twente is an extremely football-mad region, always has been. Even Heracles are now expanding their stadium.

8. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we've had this conversation before. Like I'm sure I've said elsewhere, I hope it works out. It's very hard to predict the future, as the last two years have shown.

In any event, hup Ajax!

9. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    is soakin gup Twente pressure for 30mins scoring and going on to easily win the game not a way to show how to win a tough hard faught game?

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You still cannot get Twente Kits and other stuff via the Internet; you can get Ajax stuff. Until that changes, the club will still be considered provincial. Ajax, for better or worse, is still an international brand.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    When did you hear me deny any of that? All of our sponsors are regional too. In our minds that's not a bad thing but actually a good thing but I guess Ajax people have a different mindset.

Ajax outsources its merchandising. Twente outsources nothing. That's why you can only order that type of stuff from Twente itself and nowhere else. We prefer to remain exclusive teeheeeeeeeeee

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The point is that in that game too you needed luck to change the game around.

13. I never said that Ruiz is a better player, in fact I posted a long time ago that Luis is the best player in the Eredivisie, so either you're a new comer or you have reading or memory problems.
    And for your reading problems, the discussion wasnot about Feyenoord, but about the difference between Ajax wins and FC Twente wins in the run up to whom is going to snatch a CL ticket.

14. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I'm new here. Hi.

I addressed about every statement you made in that post. You were suggesting we need help of the referee in order to win games. I think that's a very questionable statement vs a team that has a goal record of 73-17 after 25 games.

As for the friendly rivarly, get used to it. ;)

15. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    i see things haven't changed much in here. the ajax thread still being dominated by outsiders in terms of posting quantity (note how i conveniently left out quality) :p.

16. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    dont see how really, its not lucky that Twente cant take chances.. and Ajax can.. Ajax were simply better over the full course of the game and it showed really.

17. afcajax73

afcajax73 Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    did you not know that the Ajax thread is for discussing Twente, Fword and ocassionally PSV?;)

18. I had a strange flash of an Ajax vs PSV soccer moment in which van der Meyden scores against Ajax:confused:
    Is he still playing football for Ajax and now scoring an own goal against Stekkie:eek:

19. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Mandy can score versus anybody these days.

20. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    welcome back to the eredivisie andy!

and kudos for convincing psv to sign you for doing a bogarde. :D

21. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I didn't realize Groningen was employing Blind as their right fullback. Anybody seen him in action? If we lose Van der Wiel that experience could be helpful for him to find his way into our starting lineup next season.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He was playing fullback for the reserve team prior to the loan. I think the jury is still out on whether he is first team material. He is also starting for the Dutch Under 21 team along with Anita and de Jong.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    PSV drop three points today losing to NAC 2-1. We need to take care of business against Sparta tomorrow.

24. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Saw that on my blackberry on the way home from Montreal today. If we don't capitalize tomorrow I'm going to be very distraught.

25. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that whenever we have a chance to gain on PSV and Twente we don't. We really need these points today.