05/4: Cuatro de Mayo: Houston vs FCD [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, May 2, 2019.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    upload_2019-5-2_11-46-55.png

Game: Houston Dynamo vs FC Dallas
    Date: Saturday, May 4th
    Time: 3:00 pm
    Location: BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, Texas, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: AM Thunderstorms; H 86, L 69
    Competition: Major League Soccer
    Opponent's Recent Form: W-L-W-W-W
    Live TV: KUNV-23 (Univision) [DFW] | Univision [USA] | Twitter [USA] | DAZN [Canada]
    Radio: FCDallas.com/radio [English] | KFLC 1270 AM La Voz del Pueblo [Spanish]

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't cringing at the thought of this game, especially without Pax and especially with how awful we were last weekend.

2. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    86 degrees and Houstank humid. Perfect for the team who struggled in the heat last weekend.
    I can't believe I'm worried about how we'll do in the heat.
    I find it interesting that even though we get almost no attention from local media, we're getting to be on national TV a lot between Univision and ESPN.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I feel like the only seasons we really used the heat to our advantage was Pareja's first 2 or 3 seasons.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also no Pomykal. Perhaps the 5-3-2 again? Gum up the works and hope to steal a goal or two?

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that was a total screwjob by Alan Kelly (the center ref) and Christina Unkel (VAR) today.

SeventhRowScreamer repped this.
  6. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fix, the fix, the fix was in!

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I seriously hate MLS a lot of days.

8. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, we got jobbed in this one. A draw would have been the "fair" result. We were pretty terrible until the end, but they didn't do much to make us pay for our awfulness.
    Good weekend for the Unkel family. Christina hosed us on VAR. Ted hosed Columbus several times as the center in their game.
    On the positive side, we scored and we didn't look like we were dying at the end of the game.

9. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD took a hot rod up the backside served by the officials.
    However, I would’ve liked Dallas’ odds had PP been in the 18.
    This weekend I watched all this year’s games back to back...
    It was stunning how much PP controls the team.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's time to try Arranguiz at one of those 8/10 spots. Has FCD won a single game this year the Pomykal wasn't in that spot? Too defensive with any combination of Acosta, Cerrillo, Gruezo and Hayes. BTW, Gruezo came out so has Cerrillo surpassed him?

11. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    boy howdy - how quickly Luchi's grand promises of something we, not he, deemed' "Luchi ball" have soured into "Luchi boring". When was the last time you saw this team high press, pass the ball around and attempt to dictate play? Seriously, I can't honestly tell you.

Buzz spoke a lot, prophetically - even if it was obvious, that this 4-3-3 concept was never going to work in this climate, even with a staff of 3 lunged kiddos tromping about. Seriously, this side was either not fit enough to start with or was burned out so quickly, a team from NoCal (!!!) seemed less affected by May Texas sunshine than our heroes. It was months ago Buzz predicted a formation change would come sooner than later.

But if I have a single concern is this nagging question of how we got to a place where a 19 year old blonde haired kid from Farmer's Branch became this team's sole midfield attacker? To be clear, there were two well vetted international mids out there for FCD and I'd be so bold as to say neither were a step better than the 18 year old homegrown fitted along side them. Gruezo's shit touch started the 1st goal sequence and in 90 minutes none of the three made a single pass into the box or the area directly outside the box (aka: Zone 14).

With Pax out until June sometime (and that assumes 1- he returns healthy and 2 - doesn't have a performance of the ages and ends up attracting global offers) - how do Luchi fix this? Probably a 4-2-3-1, with Pablo at the 10, but I've seen little to nothing from that guy that tells me he has much in his bag. Mosquera is the human equivalent to a light switch - more on than off this past Saturday - and other than that you can hope Barrios junkyard dogs his way to something (ooops, he's out this weekend due to urinating on too many legs) or that Jesus somehow stumbles across that rare moment someone decides to serve him a ball in or around the box.

While my expectations for 2019 were very low (I predicted no playoffs), this has gone limp faster than even I expected. What was interesting and sometimes exciting has deflated into boring even for MLS standards.

And I still can't figure out how Pax ended up being the new "we pin all hope on him" version of Diaz.

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As usual, you have depressingly summed it up.

13. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did MLS manage to go 0-for-5 on scheduling Cali and Texas teams on Cinco de Mayo?

14. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 SeventhRowScreamer, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    I think Pomykal is already a more effective player than Mauro Diaz. Diaz benefitted from Castillo and Barrios taking all the attention. When Castillo was sold Diaz was the focus and was exposed. Last season I didn’t want PP on the field. To me he was slow, small and boring. This season he is the glue, brains and heart. He’s getting a fair bit of focus. Maybe teams will figure out how to suppress him but so far... nope.
    Until he returns it’s gonna be counter attack city. If they want results Mosquera and Acosta have to be on the pitch together. I also think Nelson & Roberts need to be out there as much as possible because they have great touch and actually know what a triangle is.

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love the kid too but let's not get nuts.

16. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The loss of Castillo didn't help Mauro, but I'd say the biggest cause of the decrease in Mauro's effectiveness was his Achilles injury.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so hard to judge Díaz because two things happened to close to one another that hurt his effectiveness going forward: Castillo departed and his Achilles got hurt. When he was less effective in 2017 and 2018, was it because Castillo wasn't there anymore to take the heat off of him or was it because he just wasn't the same player after the Achilles injury? A little bit of each, I'm sure, but it's hard to say in what proportions.

I will say Pax has been more effective than post-Castillo/post-Achilles Díaz, however, but he's way more effective with Acosta, and vice versa.

18. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Barrios this week due to yellow cards. So our main offense will be from Reggie and Hollingshead overlapping? Maybe the occasional long distance shot from Acosta? Ugh.

20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    upload_2019-5-7_17-53-0.jpeg

ElJefe repped this.
  21. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeesh. I missed this one. Acosta is good, but he's not going to be creating much on his own. Route 1 football and set pieces may be the only offense of any note.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Pomkal gone for a while they may need a different formation for a bit. Buzz suggested a 4-2-3-1 I believe with Aranguiz at the 10. Then maybe it would be ferreira up top with Mosquera and Badji on the wings with two of Cerrillo, Gruezo and Acosta as the two 6/8 d mids. Could also go 4-1-4-1 with one of those two dmids moving up but I don't think any of those three are creative enough to add anything higher up. Maybe add Roberts late in a game if behind so then there'd be two creative types together with a destroyer behind them. A good question is who is the current better destroyer Gruezo or Cerrillo. Based on recent substitute patterns Luchi prefers Cerrillo.