05/19: Winged Nuts: FCD vs LAFC [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, May 18, 2019.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    upload_2019-5-18_15-57-7.png

Game: FC Dallas vs Los Angeles FC
    Date: Sunday, May 19th
    Time: 6:30 pm [Local] | 4:30 pm [Los Angeles] | 23:30 [Universal]
    Location: Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: Partly Cloudy; H 86, L 68
    Competition: Major League Soccer
    Opponent's Recent Form: W-W-D-D-W
    Live TV: KTXA-21 [DFW] | KFTR-46 (UniMas) [Los Angeles] | YouTube [Los Angeles] | ESPN+ [USA] | DAZN [Canada]
    Radio: FCDallas.com/radio [English] | KFLC 1270 AM La Voz del Pueblo [Spanish]

Take 2...

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My optimism isn't high.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nor should it be. I'd be satisfied with a draw and I can't remember the last time I said that about a home match.

4. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Street Fighter narrator voice: "Round 2: FIGHT!"

5. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had thought Chris Penso was an above average MLS ref. I don't think that anymore. I don't know how the PK called on Bressan in the first half stood after VAR. I don't know how the GK bear hug on Jesus wasn't a straight red for DOGSO, especially as he gave Hedges a DOGSO red just a few minutes before.
    If we gave 60% of the effort we gave in this game against Red Bulls B last Saturday, we'd have won that game.
    Tremendous game by Jesse.
    Good to see Vela get the MLS star treatment. At least MLS refereeing is consistent on that. Impressed by Vela's work rate as well as his skills.

6. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Hedges red and Bressan's hand ball were both legit calls (the latter lucky to have not received a 2nd yellow, tbh - and I still don't understand how he's even in this game in the 1st place after last week's butcher tackle on Vela) - the Miller one is far more subjective. DOGSO is a gray area in the LotG and I've yet to see a replay where at least one, if not two, LAFC defender(s) isn't in position to intercept Jessie. I also can see the argument that he "could" have 1touched it about the time Miller hugs him. "Direct and Obvious" are pretty clear guidelines and I'm not 100% sure that was either of those. But maybe a different replay I've not seen would prove me wrong.

side note: Gruezo's hammy injury remains mysteriously underreported and I don't get why there hasn't been more questions about it since Buzz finally revealed it last week.

Runhard repped this.
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got mad and left about 70 minutes in. Didn't want to see the ref award the game to them so at least the tie held up. I was also mad at the coach for not replacing the speed threat with another speed threat after Badji came out. Twumasi was on the bench and would have kept LA honest instead of setting up permanently on Dallas's 30 yard line. Missed Reynolds debut. Will have to go watch tape of that. He also could have played a speed forward.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how those go against us at a 2-1 rate over the years. There were also fouls where when we did them he called it a certain way and when they did it was always not called, just a foul when we got yellow or yellow when we would have gotten red. He was very sly at taking a bit off their fouls and adding a bit to ours.

I'm actually surprised FCD let three central mids go to U17's with Gruezo also injured.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another week and another horror show from MLS' refs.

And Pete you weren't kidding about Cobra. Woof. What an absolute shit player. Who found this guy? How could anyone pay actual money for that? I'm pretty sure my dead grandmother could run faster than him.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hedges red and the Bressan handball were correct calls. Hedges knew that he was headed for an early trip to the showers when he made his challenge, but he knew that if he didn't, Vela was in 1-on-1 with Jesse, and to his credit, he made the challenge outside the box. That's why he left the field with a minimum of drama. And Bressan's handball? Hell, if Penso hadn't called that, it would've been a stone-cold makeup call. Make up for what?

Bressan's earlier penalty, of course. That was not a penalty IMHO. Bressan got the ball, and he didn't go through the attacker to get to it. The absolute shocker is that the VAR, Silviu Petrescu (who has escaped some of the dragging that he so rightly deserves for last night's debacle) didn't even have Penso take a second look.

As for Miller's yellow card, I can see Peet's point that Miller had two defenders coming into the play. But the only reason why those defenders even had an opportunity to come into the play was because Miller had wrapped up Jesus! It was a clear case of DOGSO and it was absolutely cynical and it was absolutely egregious. Again, the fact that Petrescu didn't see fit to have Penso take a second look was shocking.

Finally, I'm going to join the chorus who are questioning how Cobra is drawing a paycheck in Frisco. So far as I can tell, he's a big rah-rah presence and he can occasionally hassle and harrass defenders. Great. Might as well go get Steven Lenhart out of retirement. He's younger, would probably cost less, and wouldn't take up a senior international slot.

11. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reynolds was impressive for the few minutes he was in Nice defensive play on one end. Won a corner and uncorked a powerful, but blocked, shot on the other. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the second time the Luchi has had a speedy guy leave and replaced him with a slow guy and the other team sets up shop.Twumasi or Reynolds would have been superior choices over Cobra who's value would be if you are behind and desperate to cross the ball into the box. I'd say the team as a whole is a bit speed impaired. Barrios and Badji are pretty much it and even they aren't even close to Castillo speed. I don't know much about the two Ghanians but I'm getting close to the point of if they don't get played soon then cut them and add some help or move up some HG's.

TxEx repped this.
  13. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    yeah, got to watch the MLS Instant Replay which had angles of both the Bressan tackle and the Miller hug - I was wrong on both.

That said, Bressan deserves to be suspended for the Vela tackle from the previous game that wasn't even called a foul, and I'm officially expressing concern he's a Jackson-level red card waiting to happen.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Davis pointed out on the TV broadcast that Bressan turned over the ball that started LAFC's attack on which Hedges got his red, so well, I guess a red card did happen.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well luckily we get to see Bressan start this next game so we will have more ammo. Hitman's Jackson comment reminds me of when Fox Sports World started showing the Brazilian league. I was so excited thinking I was going watch all these new to me young Pele's! Instead I was watching the most thuggish league I'd ever seen. The Brazilian defenders definitely know how to stop the tricky attackers. Hopefully Bressan learns quickly that doesn't play well here.

cowtown repped this.
  16. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pop into BeIN every now and then and watch the Turkish league, pretty violent. I talked about it some when he moved, but I have a feeling that gave Castillo quite a bit of trouble while he was there.

cowtown repped this.