PBP: 040: A1.France - Brazil.3C

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My experience of growing up in the Province of Quebec says that many people can become fully fluent and write both in French and English. Some of us are even trilingual if we have a different heritage too. ;)

blissett repped this.
  2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Your feed must be a full minute ahead of mine. I initially had no idea what you were talking about.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Maybe, maybe not. The alchemy of determining extra time is one of the great mysteries of the universe. Like why are there interstate highways in Hawaii.

blissett repped this.
  4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming in with her studs up, that has to be a yellow. Which makes Thaisa not getting one for the same reason confusing.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    39' 0-0 Asseyi dribbles centerward at 35m mid-right, Marta heel-hooks her down.

40' 0-0 Majri fk at 35m mid-right, high to 6-top 4-left, Henry hop-heads wide left low. Everybody was offside anyways :D

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While true that does not mean that many Frenchmen will consider the French so spoken as "good" French. We won't discuss that spoken in Louisiana.

I sort of speak four languages and where ever I go, even in my home town, people think I am from somewhere else. I blame TV and travel.

blissett and Kakeru repped this.
  7. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #57 Semblance17, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Seriously.

If Brazil ends up coming away with the win the ref who made the final decision to call back that goal will have to leave the stadium in an armored car. :rolleyes:

8. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    LOL at Tamires for leaving the crime scene so quickly, but she still gets the yellow card.

blissett repped this.
  9. dmax316

dmax316 Member

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm here in America..west coast
    Did u see the play?

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well if you really want to narrow it down there are only a couple of parts of Paris where "proper" French is spoken.

Kamtedrejt, blissett and soccernutter repped this.
  11. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Yawn. Not much beautiful football here. Dear players— Please. Stop. Fouling. Play. The. Game.

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    44' 0-0 Debina cuts inside to 27m box left, MBock Bathy clears ball point-blank off Debinha, it reflects down box left into Cristiane's stride. Cristiane dribbles to 5m mid-left, shoots left instep to 2m left post low, Bouhaddi kick-saves over endline left.

45' 0-0 Brasil longball to 25m arc right, Bouhaddi comes out and clears upfield. +6'.

45+1' (of +6') 0-0 Tamires dribbles between Asseyi and MBock Bathy(?), trips flat and loses ball. Asseyi collects behind her, Tamires remains seated and kicks both feet out at Asseyi's ankles, trips her down. Foul, Tamires sprints 30m back to avoid censure. R1 stalks after her like a hunter after prey, yellow card on Tamires -- crowd roars.

blissett repped this.
  13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I think 6 minutes of stoppage is too low. Between VAR and all the foul/injury delays, play was stopped closer to 10 minutes.

Kamtedrejt, blissett and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  14. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    What a snoozefest ths it is! It doesn't lift up to expectations at all.
    The French team can't string 3-4 passes together let alone create a decent attacking play. Also a lot of fouls in this.

15. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just to expand on "proper" French in Paris: It is almost as rare as "proper" English in London. The English are just not quite as supercilious about it.

soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think it's a big mistake for France to not start Thiney, she's the only one who could link the plays. Without her France could only go from the two wings if Brazil don't make mistakes.

FawcettFan14 repped this.
  17. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    France needs to get their act together. Brazil is going to get one eventually with the amount of attacking. They also need to get more physical and stop letting them comtrol possession. The brazilians are getting their head.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45+3' (of +6') 0-0 Bussaglia diagonal pass from 27m arc right through box top mid-left sends Majri past Brasil's right flank, she shoots high over left 90.

45+5' (of +6') 0-0 Le Sommer turns in a seam at 30m mid-right, passes to Asseyi at box top wide right. Early cross spins too close to right post, Bárbara catches easily. Huge boo from the crowd: for Bárbara, not the cross? :unsure:

HT 0-0.

kolabear repped this.
  19. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, not at all what I expected. Brazil does generally have a high foul and flop rate but the French are not raising the bar much either.

Kamtedrejt and blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #70 blissett, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Eh eh, I thought the same. She was breaking away so fast that it looked like she wanted to blend in with the color of the pitch like a chameleon. :laugh:

Bravo to the referee who caught her and chased her anyway. :giggle:

Kakeru repped this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    France needs to bring up Thiney, so their attack could link up and gain more dominance in the midfield.

You can see in all of their group stage games she has played a big role.

22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    After the dream start vs. South Korea, France have been pedestrian.

The teams I hope to see in the semifinals are Norway, USA, Netherlands, Germany. These four have actually played the game with skill, fluidity and good faith. No cheap tactics or constant fouling.

MiLLeNNiuM, JimWharton and BlueCrimson repped this.
  23. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The disallowed goal would, I think, have raised the effort and level of play of this match.

I will say that the round of 16 is often, at World Cups, one of the most unbalanced and sloppiest round f the tournament.

Kamtedrejt, Semblance17 and blissett repped this.
  24. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Referee assertion that Barbara had possession of the ball on Gauvin’s goal is so, so stupid.

25. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, keepers get the benefit of the doubt on control when players go crashing into them, probably rightly. Challenging a keeper with both hands on the ball isn’t going to go your way. However, I’d point out that jumping at a player is also a DFK foul. If you foul a player on the follow through, it’s a foul

Think of it this way: if you slide into a defender, get the ball but then take out the defender on the follow through, it’s a foul, even if the ball is headed goalwards.

Not sure what theory they applied here so I’m guessing a bit