03/3: The Real Test: FCD vs RSL [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Mar 1, 2018.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Game: FC Dallas vs Real Salt Lake
    Date: Saturday, March 3rd
    Time: 7:00 PM [CST]
    Location: Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: Partly Cloudy; H 69, L 53
    Competition: Major League Soccer
    Live TV: KTXA-21 (DFW) | KMYU (Salt Lake City) | Direct Kick/MLS Live (Out of Market)
    Radio: KFLC 1270 AM La Voz del Pueblo [Spanish]

2. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I want to see Hayes instead of Ulloa.
    I want more Coleman.
    I want the Bulgarian Barbarian.
    I want some high draft picks off the bench.
    I want Pax.

TxEx repped this.
  3. matthewe08

matthewe08 Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that Nedyelkov (sp?) is dealing with achilles tendonitis and asked for the sub in Panama so there is no telling what is going on with him. I posted in another thread that I think Hayes starts the opener. Hopefully that Colman goal is a sign of things to come and not a repeat of last season when he scored in CCL and then never showed up again. It would be huge if he can come in with some confidence and start proving he's worth the money spent.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Oscar needs to have starters for different formations. Reading Buzz at 3rd Degree/DMN he showed that Barrios still played left winger instead of second forward and it impacted Cannon's ability to add width from his left wingback spot. That means if playing a 3-5-2 either Colman, Mosquera (who we need more data on) or Tesho needs to be the second forward. In cases where there is roster rotation like this week then I'd say Mosquera / Urruti / Barrios start in a 4-2-3-1 and Colman / Tesho start in the 3-5-2. Either Gruezo or Ulloa plays but not both as starters. Don't know who plays backup right back and Cannon can't start every game with short turnarounds.

Wouldn't mind seeing Pomykal start over Diaz this weekend with a few more youngsters such as Ferreira on the bench.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Back to the 4-2-3-1.

----------Urruti------------
    Mosquera-Diaz-----Barrios
    --------Grueso-Hayes--
    Figueroa-Hedges-Ziegler-Cannon
    --------Gonzalez-------------

Bench:
    Maurer
    Hollingshead
    Reaves
    Ulloa
    Pomykal
    Lamah
    Colman

Subs depending on the course of the game, but I really want to see Pax get in there. And crucially important to get Colman in there to build confidence. So Pax on for Diaz, Colman for Urruti..............at about minute 60. Hopefully we're winning and can bring on Ulloa for Hayes to close the door.

Prediction: FCD 3 RSL 1

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your optimism. I'll take the home field advantage and a 1-0 win for the Hoopless.

7. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD needed to start Barrios at the second forward spot because of the rain.
    Everyone expected a waterlogged game, and that would have hampered Barrios speed on the wing.
    It was the right move for the conditions at hand.

8. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the lineup and reverting back to a 4-2-3-1. I’m interested to see how the defense works with Maurer at the back and how Hayes/Gruezo link up with Diaz so he doesn’t have to go back to the defense to get the ball.

9. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random post-game thoughts:
    1. Pretty enticing to watch Cannon bombing forward, though he does show a little confusion sometimes.
    2. Cannon is NOT impressing me defensively. (To be expected?)
    3. I like Ziegler. He picks his spots to defend well and he can play a nice ball. Clear upgrade over Zimmerman, and I like him better than Hedges at this point, too.
    4. Hedges grabs pants.
    5. Defense overall doesn't look reliable enough. But I choose to be optimistic.
    6. Still haven't seen enough of Mosquera to have a fully formed opinion.
    7. Offense in general looked better than last year, but lack of finishing frustrating.
    8. Despite scattered scattered optimism in above comments, home draw is a terrible result. RSL didn't look impressive to me at any point.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon was ball-watching badly while Plata slipped behind him, then when he realized what had happened, overran Plata on the recovery. The young player giveth, the young player taketh away.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Urruti needs a running mate up front. Every time he got the ball in RSL's half, there were two or three RSL players immediately on him.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've got a lot of work to do...

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Seems like a continuation of 2017.
    So many good things going on, so many chances, but no win.

We were Rimando'd on occasion. We had a whole bunch of goalmouth scrambles where the ball just didn't fall to us. We had the one that ended in Hayes hitting the crossbar.

What did I like? Diaz doing Diaz things. Barrios doing Barrios things. Mosquera is gonna grow into his role and be better than Lamah was last year. Hayes looked comfortable. Ziegler looked good. This was Cannon's first MLS start and his assignment was a tough one in Plata. One bad moment, and he's punished. I have faith that he'll be an upgrade over Grana by the 2nd half of the year. Urruti absolutely works his ass off. Colman doing some positive things.

What didn't I like? The subs. If we were planning on taking Diaz off after 60, that's what we decided to go with? Why wasn't Paxton given the chance? Pax has to be on the bench over Tesho. Not a fan of Figueroa at left back. But he's a backup. I'm looking forward to seeing Nedyalkov in that role. Oh.............there was the Savarino waltz thru the entire team with Hedges trying to pants him as a last resort. What's with that?

Its just yet another performance from FCD that I watch and say "We could have won that 3-1. With a better #9 we'd have won that 3-1." Then again Urruti works his ass off and was responsible for creating our goal.

How many times have I said that recently? A lot.

Oh, and I don't think a draw against RSL is a bad result. They played some really attractive soccer at times.

TCS35 repped this.
  13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna use that goal as more evidence that Maxi needs a running mate up front. If Colmán hadn't been lurking at the back post, Silva (who ended up putting the ball in his own net) and the other RSL defender would've been all over Maxi, as they had been most of the match. Since it was Colmán that was lurking, they figured that they didn't need to show him the same attention that they were showing Maxi, but they couldn't leave him unmarked. Result: Maxi has a bit more space to turn and get off the pass/shot.

I'm not clamoring for Colmán to be put in the starting lineup necessarily, since it then becomes a "whom does he replace" question, and I'm not sure that the answer is an easy one. But FCD does need a second striker up front with Max. As long as their scoring relies on Maxi doing Maxi things as a lone striker, I'm not sure that things are gonna differently than they did last year, with opposing defenses collapsing on Maxi, and Barrios and Mosquera perhaps unable to pick up the slack.

14. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not sure who Colman would replace. My only guess would be if Gruezo could play disciplined enough as the lone defensive mid, then play Colman and Urruti up top. Mosquera and Barrios on the wings. That would probably lead to disaster with the way the fullbacks like to push forward though.

I just wanna see Colman and Diaz together at the same time for more than 5 minutes.

On another note I just saw Zimmerman was a late scratch from today’s game due to injury. So a definite upgrade with Ziegler.

15. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the game, it looked like Reggie lost track of Plata and left him way too alone. Watching the replay when I got home, it looked like the MF got trapped upfield and Reggie sort of went to the ball (where a midfielder should have been) leaving Plata alone. Still not good, but not nearly as bad as I first thought.
    Overall, it was an OK performance. Geez the finishing! We dominated much of the game, so it feels like we should have won. On the other hand we got a gift from RSL # 7 on his breakaway so it was nice to tie instead of lose 2-0 or 2-1.
    It was also nice to see Colman contribute to a goal, although it would have been interesting to see if he could finish a tap-in instead of the defender breaking up the pass (I assume it was a pass) with his own goal.

16. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello Dallas fans, just wanted to give a shout out to the many Dallas fans who welcomed my son and I to your tailgate party and match. I think it was one of the owners of the brewery prior to the match who made it a point to welcome us to the tailgate and get us a few cold ones. Outside of the 85th minute own goal the experience could not have been better. Cheers!

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just came to point out that supposed favorites in MLS this season LOST their season home openers this past weekend (TFC, Seattle, SKC, etc.) Everybody's darling in Atlanta FC went to Houston and got their doors blown off.

BY the end of the year I'm not so sure we're going to view a home draw against RSL, following an emotionally draining midweek CCL match, as a horrific result. Disappointing, but not horrific. Let's see how we build from here........................

There was a lot to be encouraged by in this match.

EricSunRa repped this.
  18. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm fine with a slow start. The team needs to grow with the season, especially with the revamped backline and with Jacori and Mosquera slotting in. I have lower expectations than usual for the team right now, but that should change with the season once (if?) our new guys get into the groove. I did see a lot of good play against RSL. Mauro actually cursed out the ref at one point and I almost dropped my beer. That might have been the highlight for me. Mosquera looked lost and Reggie looks green, but I wouldn't really expect more from them at this stage. Jacori was a pleasant surprise, but he needs to tone his aggression down or he will be serving a ban soon.

TCS35 repped this.
  19. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    my one big worry from the opener was the surprise that Mosquera seemed to refuse to even try to take on a defender. While I'd not seen him in person, previously, I'd been led to believe he was a shifty "bigger Barrios" type who loved to knock the jock off of a defender into space. I saw zero of that Saturday night and in multiple opportunities to do so, just didn't.

Hell, even Getterson tried to beat someone (and failed) the one opportunity he got.

20. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I noticed that too but I don't remember him having that issue in the Tauro game a few days prior. Hopefully the exception and not the rule.