03/13 - Houston : Orlando City - PENSO

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by Bradley Smith, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Houston Dynamo v Orlando City
    BBVA Compass Stadium (7:00pm EDT)
    REF: CHRIS PENSO
    AR1: Kevin Klinger
    AR2: Mark Cahen
    4TH: Armando Villarreal

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost had another Joe Nasco situation but advantage saved the red card.

3. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    One interesting situation in this one so far:

Houston's GK Tyler Deric gets his clearance blocked away by Ribeiro and Ribeiro gets behind him in on goal. Deric is grabbing and holding him and nearly tackling him all the way to the net. In fact, Ribeiro almost goes straight into the post after heading in the goal. No misconduct issued.

https://vine.co/v/O9UHn9Q9dEt

Edit: JasonMa beat me to the punch, but this is the incident he referenced.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  4. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
  5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we absolutely sure there was no caution issued? I remember the crowd booing something well after the goal was scored. The Spanish commentators were definitely saying something about a yellow, but I couldn't tell if they were saying there WAS one or there SHOULD be one.

It would not surprise me in the least bit for a card to have been completely missed by the cameras, English commentators, and the live stats.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people on social media are calling for a red card for SFP.

Does anyone here see that? Because I certainly don't..

7. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Huh? Obviously we all realize this the easiest DOGSO of Penso's career if the goal isn't scored, but I don't know that there's a whole lot to worry about beyond that. At some levels of the game I might caution the goalkeeper, either for the hold or for the force that put the attacker into the side netting, but I don't think that's totally necessary in a professional match.

In any case, if there's a red card here it's probably VC, not SFP. But this play isn't a red card.

8. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching it live, I thought Deric was lucky to not get a red. He shoved Ribeiro into the goal and his face nearly smashed into the frame.

9. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    Chris has confirmed that he did issue a caution to Deric. For some reason, it's not been included on the box score.

jarbitro, Hararea, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Confirmed how?

11. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    In a public forum on Facebook.

12. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    I, too, made the assumption that he was cautioned and that the camera and announcers had just missed it. I'm relieved to hear that I might have been correct.

13. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm hearing from others that were at the game that they saw the yellow being shown to Deric as well. Still not listed in the box score on the MLS website, but glad to hear the caution was indeed issued.

14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not cost effective, but it would be neat for each site to have a team of four whose sole job was to observe one of the referees to make sure things like this aren't missed. This was a somewhat chaotic scene so while it's not surprising that the card was missed, it's an important piece of information about the match that really should make it onto the league's box score sooner than later (or never).

15. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Because of card accumulation rules in the league, I'd be very surprised if record of this caution didn't end up somewhere on MLSSoccer.com at some point.

16. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just to bookend this thread, the official box score on MLSSoccer.com now lists the caution to Tyler Deric in the 75th minute.