02/28: Washed Out: FCD vs Tauro [R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Feb 26, 2018.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Game: FC Dallas vs Tauro FC
    Date: Wednesday, February 28th
    Time: 7:00 PM [CST]
    Location: Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas, United States of America
    Weather Forecast: Thunderstorms; H 67, L 45
    Competition: CONCACAF Champions League
    Last 5 for Opponent: L-W-W-D-L (all comps)
    Live TV: Go90 [stream]; Deportes En Vivo [stream]
    Delayed TV: Galavision [11:00 pm] **not confirmed, they just have a 2 hour block titled "futbol" at the same time they showed our game last week**

Finishing has got to get a helluva lot better. Weather will only yield the most steadfast supporter. Time to see what this 2018 team is made of.

2. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, I need to hear some damn optimism from somebody. I have sour feelings about this. Somebody talk me down.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we score early, we'll be fine. Tauro gets a lot of chances but they're garbage in front of goal. The only reason they lead this series (besides our shit finishing) is because Jesse royally F'd us on that corner.

We're much better at home. Just wish we'd have more of a home field advantage with the crowd. The FO has barely talked about this game and the weather won't be pleasant.

I'm still expecting us to win this series.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The weather makes this a complete tossup. We should be better on set pieces because of our height advantage (I think) but they scored their only goal off of one. crappy rainy weather means some possible sloppy goals and probably goals off of set pieces.

5. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Debating driving over from Shreveport. How hard are tickets go come by?

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will be easy to come by. No way there's more than 5K for this game. If it's rainy may be 1K. Locally they've been adverting the Saturday MLS home opener.

7. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am with you on this one. Club America is probably the next opponent if FCD manages to get past Tauro.

I feel like this whole season is going to be hard with the quality of players coming to MLS.

Anyway, prove me wrong boys!

8. azulcremaporvida

Jan 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    you boys have a stream for this game?

9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on Galavision right now.

Anyway, I guess that we're in for a rough 2018 season, y'all. All that crappy play and the lack of finishing from the second half of 2017? Yep! It's back! And let's also add some gaffes from Jesse Gonzalez.

10. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That pretty much sucked. Probably another 8-10 years until FCD has a meaningful international game seems to be our pattern. FCD was torched on social media by Wahl, Twellman and Doyle. Embarrassing.
    At least Urruti and Colman scored a nice goals.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lots of sloppy play (and sloppy weather for the last 10 minutes). I'd like to blame it on being early season but that lineup choice was terrible. Hollingshead? 2 defensive mids when we need a goal? Gruezo needs to pull his head out of his ass. Tauro played like a Panamanian team leading on aggregate in an away game (diving, crying, faking injuries) and ref bought it all but that should come as no surprise to anyone (especially Pareja). Just overall very poor against a very poor team.

On the bright side, we would've got clobbered by America playing like this (although I think we raise our game for bigger opponents). Also, I'd rather us play shit now and figure it out on the run in as opposed to what we historically do. Oh yeah, and Colman scored!

On the negative side, missing out on playing Club America in a meaningful home/away series really f ucking sucks. Regardless of the score, a trip to Azteca and a (probable) packed house at Toyota would've been awesome. Pretty upset about this.

Strap in kids, it might get bumpy...

12. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well it should be obvious Ulloa or Gurezo not both in the same lineup. Why in the hell is Tesho the 4th winger/striker choice on the bench?

Gonzalez has to play better and oh yeah players need to actually finish their chances more than 1 in 10.

I'd like to see what Hayes has to offer because it can't be worse than what we've gotten so far. I'm also of the opinion that the sooner Ulloa and Tesho are traded the better the team/bench is going to be. Servenia and Pomykal may take a few lumps but both offer way more well rounded game than the standbys who haven't gotten anything done for well over a year.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say this but the ghost of Schellas has hijacked Oscar. He played not to lose instead of the attacking swashbuckling style he had a couple of years ago. He just needs to say F it and play his hunches and have fun. The players aren't getting that vibe anymore. They're tighter than (use your imagination).

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh also the team needs to press together. It can't be Urriti by himself. It can't be one or two help him while the rest stay back and leave open men. That's why the defense looks so bad. Everyone is a cone. BTW, Acosta excels as the hammer leading foes to the anvil.

15. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not liking people bashing Reggie Cannon on Twitter. He's a young player , and the team will have to take their lumps with him. He will likely improve as the season progresses.
    Everyone asking for more significant minutes for the youngsters, is asking for inconsistency from the team. You can't cry about the young players not getting minutes , then turn around and bash the team for playing inexperienced players.

Also, the people crying about Colman not entering the game earlier, are the same people that wish him gone LOL

16. matthewe08

matthewe08 Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you see Gruezo and Hayes on Saturday for the opener. I think Papi was wanting someone with some experience for the two CONCACAF legs, especially the away leg. That will be Hayes spot until Acosta comes back I suspect.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me, man. I still believe in Colmán. FCD's paying him ✌️big bucks✌️, so they might as well get their money's worth out of him. If nothing else, they need another striker out there to take a little bit of the heat off of Urruti, who EVERYONE knows has been FCD's only credible scoring threat.

Besides, the alternative at the moment appears to be Tesho, and it's not like he's doing much to push Colmán down the depth chart.

El Chico Carmona and TxEx repped this.
  18. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If this team continues it's mediocre ways I'd much rather they trade a few vets and play the kids. Tesho is what he is at this juncture...not very good. Same with Lamah, Ulloa, and Figueroa.

I've seen plenty of bad baseball and hockey and the only thing that makes that tolerable is knowing that the kids are getting valuable minutes and actually improving. With no fear of relegation Papi needs to win me back over that he's a good coach and hasn't morphed into Bruce Arena 2.0.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Biggest problem is that by starting Ulloa/Grueso together there was out there who could connect the defense to Diaz & the attack. Diaz was coming way back to get the ball. Everybody on here was saying we needed to go with Hayes as a partner with Grueso in this game. I don't get why we didn't do that.

And for pete's sake, why did we need all of lamah, mosquera, tesho, and colman on the bench? Do we have that little faith in Pomykal? I can't envision a scenario in which Tesho would have gotten in. If we need a forward it was Colman. If we needed wingers we were putting in Mosquera and Lamah. So what was Tesho doing there? i think he's the kind of cheap role player that all MLS teams have. But we weren't going to use him in this game.

THe worst part about all of this is that a nice win in this series could have gotten the bad taste out of everybody's mouth from the end of 2017. Instead the stink of failure remains.

If you feel like being optimistic you can say that the goal conceded in the first game was a save Gonzalez needs to make. And we had plenty of chances in that first game. Then to start the 2nd game we get an awful bounce off of Grueso that lands at the feet of a Tauro player that would otherwise have been a mile offside.
    At that point, down 2-0 on aggreate (plus one an away goal) it was just kitchen sink time.

It just sorta looked like our problems from the 2nd half of 2017. Its shocking to me that Oscar hasn't fixed these issues, and he doesn't look like he particularly knows how to fix the issues.