지·구 특공대 @ FC Augsburg 2017/18 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Gayageum, Sep 13, 2017.

1. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Not in the first few years. Guess why he started playing as a defensive winger.

batumchange2 repped this.
  2. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ji's scoring rate in his first season at Augsburg stands up to any season Suk has done. On a terrible team and at a higher level of play.

He played as a defensive winger because thats what Augsburg needed. Just like when he's been CF in past few years, he's worked the job nobody wants winning long balls with no teammates to work with.

3. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    Please elaborate.
    Because his scoring rate in his first season is not higher than Suk's in Victoria + current team.

4. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    even the season at Vitoria...albeit it's only 1/2?

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I meant it was a very good scoring rate and that half season stands up better than any of Suks given circumstances. Not bothering to look up numbers.

Anyway clearly based on comments very few people have seen him play post Sunderland given that they don’t even know what position he plays. Not sure why people need to root against a guy that they’re only checking goal tallies on.

He’s done so much for Augsburg and done it for a longer period than most KPAs. He did so well there as to open doors for HJH, and earned a chance with Dortmund. He’s had a hand in Europa League success for a tiny club.

It’s very ironic that he’s done the type of hard, unheralded work that we praised PJS for. But Suk who gets lucky with some good bounces and suddenly some people think that Ji who was producing every match while Suk was failing in Hungary and Turkey deserves a new round of criticism...

Angel Bear repped this.
  6. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #106 aeh1991, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    You're biased with Ji imo. I have seen tons of FCA matches and he has definitely not done "so much" for FCA. Winning aerial duels and giving a nice pass now and then, scoring very rarely but a few beautiful goals, yes. But most of the time he was invisible, running like a headless chicken and gave away lots of good chances by missing or standing in other player's ways. Why fo you think did I watch all these matches? Because I wanted him to succeed. But most of the times it was frustrating to watch.

There's always a reason when a player gets bashed. It wasn't different for Suk when he sucked in Turkey and Hungary. It wasn't different with PJH before his K-League return.
    I also think if people like you didn't overrate him too much (for example saying he's better than Finnbogason), he wouldn't get bashed this hard.

edit: And btw I am not only talking about this forum, but in other forums, facebook, naver, daum, etc. the majority has a similar opinion ln Ji.

LeeSeungWoo repped this.
  7. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    ji dongwon has respectable size, athleticism, speed, and technique whilst not being a complete doo doo head. he was once a very promising prospect and i actually still have hopes that he move to a lower league where he can play full time as a striker and develop into a serviceable cf. that said its silly to suggest hes been anything but a failure the past 1-2 years. in recent times hes accomplished absolutely nothing and shown zero progress as a player

12th Player repped this.
  8. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I agree with everything except that he has speed. To me, that has been one of his limitations, especially when he's deployed as winger.

Kanuck repped this.
  9. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    He's one of the slowest strikers you can find

10. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Meanwhile manager Manuel Baum has highly praised Koo after the training camp where he used him as a RCM. He said that he will try to use him more offensive now, confessing that using him on the "6" has robbed Koo all his attacking abilities.

11. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Koo starts as RM

12. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Awful match thus far by both sides.

13. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    KJC goal!!! Great header.

14. DrJinh007

DrJinh007 Member

Jan 20, 2014
  15. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  16. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    what's with KNTs n their headers recently :thumbsup:

seolseol repped this.
  17. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    chook90, jessypjs and seolseol repped this.
  18. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ji still hasn't returned to full training yet from that knee injury.

btw, Cordova was so bad.

19. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #119 aeh1991, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Ji is going to the 2nd Bundesliga joining Darmstadt, the team of his former manager Schuster.

https://www.transfermarkt.de/-bdquo...i-vor-wechsel-nach-darmstadt/view/news/299040

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/sv-darmstadt-98/darmstadt-n-54599412.bild.html

Edit: will be interesting to see if he can rejoin the competition for the CF position in the KNT.

Edit2: finally we can end the discussions about Ji vs the other CF from FCA, about him extending his contract or not, about Baum/Reuter rating him or not.
    IMO there's no loser in this deal. I hope Ji can regain his form, even if it's the 2.Bundesliga. At least the manager trust him a lot and I rate that Ji is staying in Europe instead of going back to Korea.

20. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    It's official, however a very interesting turn that he is only going on loan, with his contract being extended for one more year. They must be hoping that Darmstadt can get him back to form (or Darmstadt has a buy option if they don't get relegated).

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It sounds pretty clear that the driving factor was Ji wanting to increase chances of going to WC rather than hoping for injuries for chance.

Interesting solution given that Augsburg look safe this season and might need a much larger squad if they sneak into EL

Kanuck, Sons of Thunder and chook90 repped this.
  22. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    Ji rejoining Schuster is great news, to me he was the one coach who used Ji's capabilities to the best effect.

Much larger squad than the 37 players they had before they finally cut it down now? =D

Kanuck, Seol Korea, chook90 and 2 others repped this.
  23. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I think Augsburg is preparing for a squad addition as they have been offloading lots of players recently (Leitner, Callsen-Bracker, Rieder, Stafylidis, Thommy, Ji).
    Ji extending his contract really implies that they're preparing for a possible EL qualification (and a possible Finnbogason transfer as well?).
    They seem to plan with him next season if he does well, so I wish him all the best.

24. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    lol. Finally the roster is down to a reasonable side.

Clearly Reuter rates Ji a lot and didn't want Ji going off to Korea to re-ignite WC momentum and tried to find compromise where Ji gets to play but Augsburg will still have long term stakes in him.

25. cappuccino_kid

Oct 23, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    22'
    It doesn't look good here as Ja-Cheol Koo is injured and is taken off the field to receive medical treatment.
    21'
    Ja-Cheol Koo is down injured and receives medical treatment on the field.

Kanuck repped this.