지·구 특공대 @ FC Augsburg 2017/18 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Gayageum, Sep 13, 2017.

1. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Historic...JDW makes a cameo at '87 and KJC comes in at '74
    wins 3-0. yay!!

seolseol, chook90 and datschge repped this.
  2. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  3. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I've read that Koo has played well. Like a real playmaker.
    Ji was also subbed in for him and got some minutes.

4. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Koo was the most advanced he’s been all season in the part I saw.

5. TaegukWarrior

TaegukWarrior Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    more to come hopefully?

6. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    both on bench and two subs burned as Bayern carve up augsburg

7. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    This season so far shows
    1. Baum is actually a decent manager
    2. Finnbogason is a better striker than Ji Dong Won (doesn't look like he'll get a contract extension neither)
    3. Koo Ja Cheol has suffered from Gregoritsch's arrival (has to play CM mainly this season)

Maybe it's time for FCA to buy a new Korean player?

8. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Huh? Finnbogason has not been great.

We all knew that Koo was moving back as he did at end of last season. Problem is his lack of defensive discipline makes him awful back there.

9. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #59 aeh1991, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Yes, form-wise, Finnbogason hasn't had a good season yet, but he already scored 6 goals and 2 assists so far. That's double the goals Ji had in total (after playing every game) and same amount of assists. Also stat-wise (according to whoscored, that site takeuchi always stated to claim that Ji's good), Finnbogason has better overall stats than Ji last season. Finnbogason also created 2 penalties if I remember correctly. The most recent one last game against Wolfsburg. His finishing has been as bad as Ji's and his first-touch is worse, but his runs are very effective. Imo, he's just a better striker, not saying that he's been great.

10. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    His finishing has been horrific. The amount of sitters he has missed this season has been epic. Yes he’s industrious which I appreciate but I’d put him in fortunate category and beneficiary of having Gregoritsch playing well. The latter has been a one man offense and criticism of Baum still apply as they struggled to generate consistent offense and creativity despite playing against ten man and sloppy Wolfsburg.

11. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Yet, they're 8th on the table despite having much worse squad than the likes of Bremen, HSV, Koln etc. I dont get the high expectations on FCA. It's a shitty team that managed to stay in firdt league since years. Baum is not good in offense but they have a very good defense.

12. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't mean to dismiss the work that Baum has done or the miracle of their table standing. But I'd hardly use that standing as some credit to an inefficient Finnbogason.

I do feel like though that Augsburg is more fortunate than good, and by same token, Koo unlucky not to be playing more; though his defensive lapses really hindering his minutes this season and more importantly, my hopes of him as Ki pairing for KNT after seeing him as 8 end of last season and in start of this season.

On the other hand, its nice for some stability this season and hopefully avoiding relegation fight will mean more clarity for Koo and Ji as to second half of season before WC, rather than pinning hopes for minutes under new manager.

killaorca repped this.
  13. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #63 aeh1991, Nov 28, 2017
    Not so sure about that tbh. Koo might get his starting place back, but Ji needs to beat both Gregoritsch AND Finnbogason (because if Finnbogason is injured/benched, Baum will use Greg up front and Koo behind him).

EDIT: Maybe I've been too harsh on Ji in the last posts. But I am just trying to look at it from an objective view. I don't think that Ji doesn't have any quality. But atm it looks like his chances have become very small. I hope for him to fight back his place.

14. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Objectively Ji has been used despite your continued proclamations of the end of Ji's time and despite the dozens of players that Augsburg have.
    Objectively, if you think Baum is a good manager, there must be something to his use of Ji all last season and continued use this one once Ji got fit.
    Objectively, Finnbogason has ranged from ok to terrible, mostly the latter finishing wise.
    Objectively, Gregoritsch has been better as a second forward rather than on top and Koo has been more productive at 8 than 10 recently.

Its not binary of Ji between great or K league benchwarmer. And just because Augsburg have scrapped together some wins doesn't mean he's competing against Lewandowski. The gap between Ji and most of his teammates is quite small.

Maybe Ji will continue to be a marginal player this season. Maybe Ji will want more minutes ahead of WC. I don't think he'll get a new contract either at his going pace. But if he continues on, I do think that he will have chances to make an impact.

15. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    #65 aeh1991, Nov 28, 2017
    We'll see. I am not convinced, but I wish him the best.

16. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Mainz 1 - 3 Augsburg

Goals: Gregoritsch, Holtmann, Finnbogason (2)

Another disappointing game by Koo (subbed around the 60th min) according to fans, though I thought he had one good shot and is getting better at defending based on the highlights.
    Ji was an unused sub and is expected to give his bench spot to Cordova who will return after injury next week.

17. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thommy is out through mid January and they will want a backup 9 anyway.

18. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    There are also Heller and Schmid. And there are talks with a young Ukrainian FW and a LM from second Bundesliga.Ji might remain as a backup FW for now though. His situation is at least better than Leitner's or Parker's.

19. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    KJC starts. Ji...well, u know

20. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    1-0 Caiuby goal.

if they win then they leap into no 4 on the table...lol

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Caiuby is such a frustrating player. Can be s*** for so long and then hit the spectacular.

Not sure what Koo was doing with some of his passes today.

22. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    He's Son?

23. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    no, 90% of the time he's crap but if you just saw his highlight vids, you'd think the guy was messi.

killaorca repped this.
  24. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Koo starts, Ji is not on bench.

25. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010