지·구 특공대 @ FC Augsburg 2017/18 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Gayageum, Sep 13, 2017.

1. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    Oversized squad. Somehow Baum and Reuter thought it's a good idea to have 33(!) players this season.

2. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    That'll be pretty average if it was k-league lol.

3. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Suk has played minutes this season, Ji hasn't. And I feel Suk is more consistent in terms of scoring than Ji anyways. Hwang UJ was not a deserved callup by any means, but that's not what we're discussing here.

4. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    before today & when the roster was released... 9 mins (Suk HJ) vs 0 mins (Ji DW, who didn't have proper pre-season due to injury). as for scoring, 3 league goals (in 3 different leagues for Suk HJ) vs 3 league goals for Ji DW the past 1 and 1/2.

based on 3 possible candidates, shouldn't you be upset with the inclusion of Hwang UJ more over Ji DW? or are you okay with Hwang UJ.. since, technically.. he has played most min before the roster was released (even if he is poor for Gamba imo).

5. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Hwang UJ is the biggest mystery. Not only is he a bad player but also his character is known to be bad. Why Suk wasn't called up is a big question.

6. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    based on international experience, club career, goals scored (league & national team)... Ji DW has the best credentials to be the lone FW for Korea (not to mention, is versatile who will give 100% unlike others).

jessypjs repped this.
  7. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    the only positive to SHJ not getting a call up is that he would get more practice time with the club.

8. ConcernedK

ConcernedK Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    Busan I Park
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    JDW at best is a super sub. I'd much rather have HHC and SHJ.

9. ConcernedK

ConcernedK Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Club:
    Busan I Park
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He looked pretty dangerous today.

10. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    hope he continues

chook90 and ConcernedK repped this.
  11. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What is known about his character?

12. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    As far as I remember he is arrogant and has girl problems

13. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

chook90 repped this.
  14. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    Koo had a pretty good game today.
    Augsburg has had an amazing season so far! They don't really play the most beautiful football, but they are rock solid atm.

And about Ji... he might need to find a new club in the winter. Would be the best for everyone imo
    He's good enough for a team like Hannover or Freiburg.

15. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what does a "transfer" to struggling clubs solve? this is the final yr of his contract, he & the club has to make a decision soon but give it a more than few games (of which, most of it.. he was absent due to injury.. such as the last game) before it is nothing but doom for him (or any player) after playing all games last season.

16. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I dont believe that he was absent due to injury for the last few games. He missed parts of the pre season and at the beginning. FCA has since found a new starting eleven compared to the last season.
    He said it himself to CDR during his visit "Ji told me that he is in a good condition despite his lack of playing time".
    Just accept that atm Baum doesnt count on him. It doesnt necessarily have to do whether he's better or worse than the other attackers. FCA doesnt seem to want to extend his contract and give the other/younger players such as Thommy or Cordova a chance. His injury played a big role in it. The others took advantage of that. I feel sorry for him but I dont think his contract will get extended.

17. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

yes, atm.. Baum doesn't. doesn't mean situation won't change (such as injuries to other players). also, Reuter has consistently stated he rates Ji DW highly. he could extend .. he might not, but a transfer to other clubs doesn't automatically solve anything.

18. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I agree. It won't automatically change. Bjt tbh I want either a fit Ji or no Ji. If he remains mainly on the bench for the rest of the season, I don't think he'd be a help for the KNT and it would be pity (the Morocco match was the best example. Visibily unfit imo).

19. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #44 takeuchi, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    really? unfit Ji was still able to score & create space for Son HM + Kwon CH unlike Hwang HC (1 goal/0 assist out of 8 apps), Hwang UJ, Lee DG & Kim SW. yes, Ji DW isn't flash nor does he stand out, but he can make others around him better.

also, by the end of the season.. the played "mins" between Ji & Suk could be about the same. not like either are slated to be "starters"...

edit - btw, the FW options for Korea is so pathetic.. the best performing, especially in terms of "goals", the past 4 to 5 years... is Lee JH of Busan. over the past 7 years? i don't think anyone has outperformed Ji DW since 2011 AC..

20. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I know. Suk or Ji atm doesnt matter. Both are having problems with playing time. Imo the CF problem in 2014 was that PCY was unfit because of lack of playing time And it doesnt look like Ji or Suk are in a different situation. I know you think match fitness is overrated, but I think of it differently. For me, both need to play more often.
    However, in the end, we will suck anyway under STY so what's the point of discussing who's the best for KNT?

21. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #46 takeuchi, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Why are you singling out PCY when the entire 2014 team was unfit or injured? Also, did HMB have better options at the time?

And no, I don't think "match fitness" is overrated but again, you are singling out Ji DW when other options are also "unfit" or even if they are "match fit" like Kim SW or Lee DG, they are a brick w/ less energy + movement. Hwang UJ? Does it even matter if he is "fit" when is useless? Unfit Ji DW has outperformed all of em... and yet, why do you & many others continue to ridicule him + crying out for him to be dropped completely? :coffee:

edit - this is sad but even "unfit" & a player who gained a bit of belly due to lack of playing time like Park JH played better (even if he didn't stand out) than Kim JS (who is "match fit") in his recent one outing for KNT.

22. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    I've not intended to say to drop him completely. I am just saying that I am against the idea to rely on players who don't have playing time which ultimately results in bad fitness.
    And at the moment, it's just not the case for JDW at FCA. It may change during the season and I will think differently.
    I am not only singling out JDW but I can say the same to SHJ, LCY and the other bench warmers. And in my subjective opinion both JDW and LCY looked very tired against Morocco.

It's not that we only have JDW, HHC, LDG, KSW and HUJ.
    There are players such as Yang Dong Hyun or Joo Min Kyu. They should at least get a try imo. We can even argue that Park Chu Young should be reconsidered as well.

23. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    sigh.. :rolleyes:
    here we go w/ listing even worse players. Yang DH & Park CY (as much as I liked Park CY, he has now entered Lee DG status of that old guy who should be ignored completely)? again, two guys who barely move, even if they are "match fit" because they play in K League.

Joo MK? another awful player but he is young enough. perhaps Shin TY will test him out in EAFF (meaningless tourney) against backups + young players of J League, China, and North Korea.

24. Steven511

Steven511 Member

Jeonbuk FC
    South Korea
    Apr 1, 2017
    this might shock you takeuchi but I agree with you on this issue. The whole "if you they're not playing for their club don't call them up for the country" is a european mentality that isn't applicable to us.

All the players are still training and we should call up players based on their ability rather than so called "form". Even though Hwang is at almost 1 goal a game if Ji was in the Austrian league he'd be scoring at a higher rate. Ji, LCY still have a role to play given past NT performances for us.

In 2014 Uruguay played Gimenez at CB against England when he only played 2 games in 2013-14 season. Brazil calls up players even when they moved to China or play in "inferior leagues". Gil got called up over David Luiz over the summer even though Luiz was doing really well at Chelsea. NT's like Sweden, Netherlands, Switzerland call up barely used players and start them all the time.

Outside of Spain, England, France, Germany most NT's talent pool is spread out and is polarized so coaches call up who has more talent.

Ki, Koo, Son, Ji, LCY, Kwon are probably the best we have and should be called up until others prove they deserve to play over them.

TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  25. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ji still out injured. Koo on bench.

seolseol repped this.