☆☆☆ AFC Ajax: Sons Of Gods & The Three Stars ☆☆☆ [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Vandervaart, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I agree. First half Siem de Jong was horrific. Should have converted at least 1. Sulejmani and especially Greg were bad as well in the first half. In the second half imo everyone played up to par. Although they did back down too much after they scored the 0-1.

I thing I like better from Siem de Jong compared to Sightorsson is that he doesn't drift out of position as much. Sightorsson often drops down too much while he doesn't have the skillset to be of added value there.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Who left Ajax over the Summer? :confused:

I ask because I genuinely don't know...

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Also, did I see it right that Alderweireld was on the RB over the weekend?

4. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Dario Cvitanich - Boca Juniors (rented)
    Demy de Zeeuw - Spartak Moscow
    Florian Joseph Son - NAC Breda (rented)
    Geoffrey Castillion - RKC Waalwijk (rented)
    Suk Hyun-Jun - FC Groningen
    Jordy Deckers - Excelsior
    Maarten Stekelenburg - AS Roma
    Marvin Zeegelaar - Espanyol (was rented to Excelsior)
    Mitchell Donald - Roda JC Kerkrade
    Oleguer Presas - Free agent
    Rasmus Lindgren - Red Bull Salzburg
    Robbie Wielaert - Roda JC Kerkrade (was already rented)
    Roly Bonevacia - NAC Breda (rented)
    Ronald Graafland - Capelle
    Sergio Padt - AA Gent
    Timothée Atouba - Free agent

Russian forward Dmitri Bulykin on a free transfer from Anderlecht; Goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen from NEC Nijmegen for a fee of €3.3m; Icelandic forward Kolbeinn Sigthorsson from AZ Alkmaar for a fee of €4m; Forward Derk Boerrigter from Waalwijk; Belgian midfielder Mats Rits from GBA; Midfielder Theo Janssen from Twente for a fee of €3m; South African midfielder Thulani Serero from Ajax Cape Town for a fee of €2.5m.

5. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thanks, a whole list as you can see. Demy de Zeeuw and Stekelenburg were starters so they're the most notable.

Only for the first 30 minutes. He wasn't very good on right back. And Ooijer wasn't very good in central defense. So Ligeon came on as right back and Alderweireld moved back to the center.

6. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Enoh is suspended for the Klassieker so please, please, please play with my favorite midfield. I just want to see it one time at least.

As we all know, the heavens have parted, as have the seas, and Feyenoord surpassed Ajax in the rankings. Here's an interesting list concerning their opponents and their respective standings though:

Feyenoord:

AZ (1)
    Heracles (7)
    Roda JC (11)
    Heerenveen (12)
    NAC (13)
    ADO (14)
    Graafschap (16)
    VVV (17)
    Excelsior (18)

Ajax:

AZ (1)
    PSV (2)
    Twente (3)
    Vitesse (5)
    Heracles (7)
    Groningen (8)
    Heerenveen (12)
    Graafschap (16)
    VVV (17)

7. But you dropped the most points against teams that are far worse than Ajax....sooo...that's opening prospects for us:D

8. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Yep but he wasn't very good. Frank brought on the 18 year old academy player Ruben Ligeon in the 2nd half and pushed Toby back into the center and things got much better.

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We dropped points vs AZ, Twente, PSV, Groningen and VVV. All of which are better than your club. So I don't quite understand what you mean...

10. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    It's mind boggling that De Jong couldn't get himself on the score sheet with all the chances he had. He faced four or five decent opportunities, a proper striker should have buried at least a couple of them. That rebound after Vertoghen free kick was pretty rubbish, it didn't even come close the goal post. That said, I am giving Siem a lot of credits for his positioning. He is very good at peeling from his defender and being at the right spot. He needs to add finishing touches to his reportaire to become more effective.

I thought Enoh did well, much better than last weekend vs. AZ. Theo did good, too. He was much more assertive in these past couple matches. Aside from his well-taken goal, Boerrigter was mediocre, looked nervous and limited at times in front of goals. I am not sure he's what Oranje needs at this moment. The defense was rock solid, especially Vermeer and the center half duo. Overall, comfortable win.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The bottom line for me is that he really needs to be a striker since he is too slow to play in the midfield and forces FdB to play Janssen in the deep lying role. I've felt this way going back to the season before last. When Suarez was with the squad, de Jong got lots of opportunities to score and converted well, dangerous in the air. The more time he spends in the midfield, the less he gets time at #9. Skill sets are totally different.

12. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    They have figured out where Theo J. should be playing so this makes Ajax stronger up front. It was hard to believe he could have lost that much over the summer

At the back it still looks to much like a free forall and against clubs with good strikers --look out

They really should have had more than just 2 goals---thye were in the area with good possession many times

with a little luck they should make 2nd place. Thye need to outscore Lyon in the home game against Zagreb (2-0) and get a tie in Lyon----or flat out beat Lyon--not at all impossible

they also have to make sure they that RM doesn't kill them but that game is the last one and RM at that point will probably be playing out the string with their alternates

13. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Everybody on this board was pretty much in agreement about the preferred lineup this season and having Siem compete for the striker position. Frank went in a different direction and I don't want to brag but it looks like we were all correct in our collective assessment...

14. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If only Frank de Boer would read this forum. ;)

Now he just needs to pick up Assaidi, Narsingh and a back-up for left back and we're all good.

15. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bottom line is that he should be on the bench. Period.

16. It has a name, it's called "crowd sourcing", to come to the right decision.

By the way, no new predictors beside the usual suspects? Show that collective assessment in the Savvy thread if you dare.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No bid surprise HERE.

18. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's a shame. I don't know of many people who can talk more sensibly about football than Marco.

I think Guus Hiddink has always been and still is on top of the list. I think Ten Have has mentioned that they want to announce the new technical director in December. When hopefully Hiddink will have failed to qualify for the EC. I guess second in line is Edwin van der Sar. Maybe in cooperation with someone more experienced.

19. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sweet, Feyenoord doesn't stand a chance.

20. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Has FdB been reading forums?

21. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You got Eriksen and Janssen the wrong way around. ;)

22. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Inverted midfielders are the new fad.

23. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jonk and Bergkamp have officially signed their contract today.

Some changes that have taken place in the youth academy since the "revolution":

- No more Judo
    - No more Gymnastics
    - 1 hour every training dedicated to improving technique (Wiel Coerver method)
    - The youngest generation of kids dedicate more time to positiespel (literal translation: positioning play) after the technique training.

Hopefully the (youth) scouting will be reorganized soon so we reap the benefits in a few years.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Can't argue against the Judo (though it might help against rough opponents if they know our players have black belts in Judo!:eek:

I would substitute Yoga for gymnastics so that our players don't end up constantly in the infirmary like Arjen Robben.