€-Moneyball; High and Low Finance Football

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Feb 27, 2012.

1. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    If we follow your thought process it's because Amsterdam has a lot going for it and Rotterdam is quite boring and I have to agree with that. :D

1 person likes this.
  2. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Having lived in Amsterdam for 3 years I can hardly argue with that now, can I? :-D

1 person likes this.
  3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Really no where else to post this. A cool and cloudy Friday here in Bethesda so I decide to watch the Dortmund/Stuttgart Bundesliga match. Just f**king unbelievable. Dortmund look like they are coasting to a 2-0 win with only 20 minutes to go in the match. Stuttgart snatch a goal back and then another and then yet another to go up 2-3. Dortmund equalize and then go ahead with a goal in the 87th minute but can't defend the lead and Stuttgart again equalize in stoppage time. I've never seen a match like this one. Both managers realize they were just part of something special and go out on to the pitch to congratulate everyone involved. Some of the players on both sides appeared to be totally shocked at the results. Don't know if there is a stream that will be posted but the last 20 minutes of this match were just incredible!

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah was a funny game. Also shows Germany is beatable at the back. Hummels looked weird at times. Maybe it´s a good idea to start a foreign club/NT thread for people to post things about them or keeping track on them? I will start one.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good idea! This was my match of the year so far!

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have made 2. The typo is underway to be sorted out, but I think I have made the general idea of the 2 threads clear and added a nice picture. From now on you can use it.

* For Clubs
    * For NT's

Cheers.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Back to the real issue's here. Spain pretty much scr*ws their youth and us over.

Spain just does what it wants

This means that clubs that owe the state money, get amnesty if they only pay 10%. 750 million goes to 75 million.

Also look at this:

Spanish alarming unemployment is less important than Ronaldo's Ferrari

Not to mention the dishonesty in the football competition and how we try to deal in Europe with the real issues. Netherlands does it's part.

They just can't seem to play it fair.

8. We can now call on the European Commission to act against unfair competition by State subsidies.

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Dutch public broadcaster has to dramatically cut its budget and as a result will have to choose between CL football and the eredivisie. I for one have never understood why in god's name Dutch tax payers money is going towards broadcasting the CL, a tournament in which no Dutch club has a hope in hell, but I still hope that they will favour the CL over the eredivisie. Simply because that could leave the commercial stations to start a bidding war over the eredivisie.

10. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I always thought the NOS did a better job than anybody else. As someone who lives in a country with no public channels (not nationally at least), I've come to appreciate how well they did everything.

11. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Wait, does NOS show Eredivisie games or is it just the highlights programme?

I hope they choose the Eredivisie over the CL myself. Anybody who watched the Premier League highlights on ITV knows that that type of highlights-style programme really suffers with poor editing, and NOS do a good job with their programme. CL is the CL, as long as the broadcaster shows the 90 minutes it can only be so bad.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    At best it makes no difference whatsoever. Commercial station Talpa had 90 minutes for the highlights show, NOS under 60 minutes. That means that if you're not a big club, you can hope for 2 minutes on the NOS. What I also liked about Talpa is that they showed the fan's point of view. NOS does none of that. More importantly however we can expect more money flowing into the game if the commercial stations start bidding - and that benefits all Dutch clubs.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Highlights. Eredivisie clubs have their own pay tv channel (EredivisieLive) and they do the live games.

14. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    I watch most of the games on the internet that are broadcast by an Arabian network for the before and half-time shows--but the game broadcast is in English and a Brit--

-so the Eredivisie must sell some rights internationally---having 6 teams fighting to the end is a great thing for interest and it may spark some added curiousity and possibly financial help with another broadcaster for next year

15. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But they make almost no money compared to other leagues, one of the reasons the Eredivisie is where it's at and will always be at. No major interest and no major Dutch populations residing anywhere outside the country.

16. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Success creates interest

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's been tight like that for years in the Dutch league. Nobody outside of Holland's really interested unfortunately. The international media are largely controlled by Anglo-Americans, they would rather show Scottish football even.

18. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Ajax being good again will help somewhat. They're the only team with a major fanbase outside Holland.

I've been banging on about this for a couple posts now, but the Eredivisie should try and exploit their accessibility in terms of having the most English-friendly league outside the UK.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm not sure I understand that comment, what exactly do you mean?

20. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Probably all of the managers and most of the players in Holland can hold a conversation in English. So take advantage of that.

The Eredivisie should be really, really easy for anglophones to follow, but it's not. Some of that isn't the Eredivisie's fault (not the world's most popular league, etc.) but they could take the lead by providing more English content, especially since it would be so easy - just have the interviewer ask a couple questions in English.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You have got to be kidding me. If English football shows want to cover the Dutch league, great (ESPN does already by the way). If Dutch television starts interviewing Dutch footballers and coaches in English, I'll be the first one to send in a written complaint.

22. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm not talking about Eredivisie Live going English or having Tom Egbers say "Welcome to the Eredivisie highlights show on Nederlandse Omroep Schitching!!!!" but offering English language content to English language channels or on an English language Eredivisie website.

The one thing separating the Eredivisie from almost every other league worth a damn (i.e. not Norway or Sweden) in Europe is the high level of English fluency amongst its constituents - coaches, players, journalists, even fans. That's something the Eredivisie can exploit to sell the league abroad, instead of having to dub or subtitle interviews. The Eredivisie can get you, English speaker who has never heard of a flessenlikker, closer to the league than any other league in Europe (besides the EPL, which you probably already follow anyway).

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    After last season, Ajax (arguably the best known brand in the Eredivisie) came to the US for some friendlies. They played my home town team, DC United, and the match was viewed by all of 13,000. Matches involving the bigger clubs in England, Spain, and Italy all drew at least four times as many (and with much higher financial guarantees). There is not a large Dutch fanbase here in the US relative to Italy, Spain (the large US Hispanic population all know the Barcelona kit colors), or England. We get exactly one Dutch match every weekend on the ESPN Internet feed and ZERO television feeds.

There are three cable television channels Fox Soccer Channel (Sky Sports) which shows mainly EPL matches and two Italian games each weekend; GolTV - Spain, one or maybe two Bundesliga matches, Argentina and Brazil, and ESPN which gets one EPL match. ESPN carries Champions League and GolTV Europa League (but mainly shows only the Spanish teams matches). It's not bleak here but we also don't have a lot of options except to watch Internet feeds via SopCast. I don't expect things to change much if at all.

24. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    People don't care if a coach speaks English or not. That makes no difference whatsoever, at all. There is no interest in the Eredivisie; most of our Oranje squad plays outside the country. With all due respect to the Eredivisie, despite some really entertaining goals there's some really horrid, horrid defending.

(FYI, working in television, I do know that the Associated Press carries Eredivisie highlights of big teams on its APTN wire service so that's why you might see it randomly on CNN International or something.)

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's a vicious circle. The more exposure a league gets the more popular a league gets. If you never get to see an Ajax game then how are you going to start liking Ajax.

The Dutch league just needs an international sports channel to start taking a real interest and we're off. In terms of entertainment value we've got more to offer than most other leagues.