”I believe there aren’t any gays among soccer players!”

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SemperFidelis, Jan 14, 2009.

1. SemperFidelis

SemperFidelis New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Coach Marcello Lippi of Italy's National Team was found to make that statement in the title of this thread. He went on to say there were no gay players in the sport of soccer whereas he was originally quoted saying only in the Italian leagues.

What's your take on it? Personally, I'm 18 going on 19 (Damn, I hate aging) and I've been playing soccer since I was 3, I've played as a striker as far back as I could remember. I have not come across any player in that entire time who was bisexual or homosexual.

I play on a competitive level and I play for my university which made its way to the NCAA games this year. :D

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. I'm pretty opening minded about anything in general. What's your take on this?

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I give it a big "who cares?"

3. Leeds92

Leeds92 New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ditto on this. How would you know if someone was gay (unless they told you) and furthermore why would you care???? If the best player on my team was gay, straight, left, right, male or female, black or white who gives a flying f**k what his personal status is??

The only reason it would make any difference to you would be if you are so insecure in your own sexuality.

You said you were only 18 or so and dont know where you stand on the issue. If you need others to make your mind up for you then you still have a lot of growing up to do.

What a useless thread.... End of discussion

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I couldn't care less either but can understand pro footballers not daring to come out of the closet. Not because of colleagues but because of the abuse they'd get from the fans.

There was a footballers poll in Holland's leady footy magazine last month, including the question: are there gay men in Dutch football. 40% said yes.

5. SemperFidelis

SemperFidelis New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Excellent.

And that's a sweeping assumption. I was talking about the comment the coach made, not my personal stance on a homosexual player. :)

Personally, I've been playing almost my entire life. My team mates have always been a second family to me, always. I've met some absolutely fantastic people, even people I got into a brawl with I befriended. I guess growing up in the soccer scene in the US made me this way. I consider any of my new team mates brothers. I wouldn't let sexual orientation come in the middle of anything. I don't care who you sleep with, I care whether the person can be their best and have fun while doing so.

That's what I care about.

My issue about standing is whether a well known coach should even be allowed to say such a thing despite history showing that there have been homosexual players, although the only case that comes to mind at 6:14 AM while I've just awoken from sleep would be Fashanu, I think that's what his name was.

Basing your pretty rude post I'll say you're 16 or 17 judging by your username since people tend to use the last two digits of their birth year in username and your really irritating sense of leadership which is pretty much nonexistent AKA, that was really rude. Grow up.

Yeah, a lot of high school players (they don't get mentioned in the media much) will keep it in. Actually, the whole problem with homosexual players that are very much in the closet ask themselves how they could possibly be gay in the first place because all they've thought about are stereotypes. College athletes fear their team mates deserting them and or that they won't get the chances from sponsors or possible drafts due to them being out than compared to staying in the closet.

The fans are something else. Last time I checked, the UK is having a major issue of fans throwing out racial slurs and sexual slurs against non WASP players and or suspected bisexuals, homosexuals and those questioning their sexuality. I'm not really sure how the third viewpoint even makes it outside of the persons head which rather astonishes me. :confused:

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I do not believe Lippi would make such a comment. He should know that gays do exist in soccer and some of them play great soccer. Or else he would not take Inzaghi to the WC Finals? :)

7. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey

8. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

he is so not gay

[​IMG]

9. Leeds92

Leeds92 New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You presume incorrectly. Leeds92 is in fact based on Leeds United winning their last top division championship. I would think that you dont follow the English leagues otherwise you would know this. I will let that one slide.
    If you are thinking that I am hiding behind my username in an effort to be rude I will also let that slide. I have been on here for awhile now and always respect others opinions. This would be the first time you could say my response was considered "rude" however you stated at the top of the thread, I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.

You will also find that many people on here have a "username", many of whom have highly respected opinions and views. If you think that we hide behind these to voice our opinion then all the power in the world to you.

To give you an indication of my age (which is much more than yours), I have followed the world game from before you were born. I have family and friends who are gay who have been treated with such disrespect from those who claim they dont care when they dont know, but it makes a difference once they do. These sorts of posts just flare up the same disrespect. I have children of my own who are involved with people from all walks of life. If you want a leason in tolerance dont presume to teach it to me.

10. SemperFidelis

SemperFidelis New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    You're right on all accounts. I apologize for my rude post. I wrote that post at 6:22 AM after I had awoken from sleep.

11. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh cmon, that's just... camaraderie :D

12. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    I think his beautiful brazilian model for a wife would disagree

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Assuming that "she" isn't in drag:eek::D

To the original thread starter, if you don't know where you stand on this issue with regards to futbol, ask yourself where you stand in regards to the issue in normal day to day life. If it doesn't matter in your normal life then why should it matter in regards to sport?

14. SemperFidelis

SemperFidelis New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    There was an error in my OP, read the update on the first page. I said I didn't know where I stood on Lippi's words, not homosexuals in soccer.

15. eyemeagalot

eyemeagalot New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    West Palm Beach
    Club:
    Palm Beach Pumas
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    That's a great way to put things, I totally agree.

16. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, I just came across this, but I wanted to mention a correction.

If you've played the game for 15+ years, you HAVE played both with and against gay or bisexual soccer players. It's inconceivable that you haven't. They just didn't bring it up.

It really doesn't matter where you "stand" on this issue. It's a fact. You will continue to play with and against gay/bi soccer players as long as you're in the game. If a specific case happens to become known to you, it becomes your issue to deal with, not theirs. If you have a civilized bone in your body, it won't be a problem. But either way, this is reality, regardless of whether you, Lippi, Blatter or anyone else acknowledges it or not.

17. silapunaes

silapunaes New Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Club:
    Abbotsford Mariners
    I'm sure there are too much about it.

18. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So amongst tens of thousands of players there are no gays? ok...

19. NJ Red Bulls

NJ Red Bulls New Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That quote reminded me when Presedent Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran said there were no gays in Iran to the NY press corp. He had to stand there like a fool as the reporters burst into laughter. A coach that say's that should be let go, his team surely has at least 1 gay player. He is one of the reasons players can't feel ok about coming out.

20. yupgift2u

yupgift2u New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    You're right on this matter. I think it will be better anyhow.

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Many Brazilians soccer players are homos, there was even a scandal in the Selecao prior to WC86. I believe Leandro, Renato and possibly one or two others were involved in shenanigans.