“Interruption” view on Adu quite a bit over the top

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by babytiger2001, Apr 7, 2004.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not leading unless somebody is following. I don't know of anyone else complaining about Freddy being on the bench

Let the crazy man yell at the pigeons

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: “Interruption” view on Adu quite a bit over the top

Wasn't Michael Wilbon also saying the same thing, to a lesser extent?

If he was, then that's an army of two.

PTI, party of two, your table is ready.

In any event, they're basically the only ones who are voicing these viewpoints, to the best of my knowledge, and teh opinion is clearly that in the minority.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

Once again, is the "l" in your name silent or what?

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. If it's a reference to a subject then "the" is appropriate. Both "MLS" and "The MLS" can be used.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Only to dimwits who have to move their lips and follow their fingers along the screen when they (try to) read.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

This is in what grammar handbook?
    ;)

7. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Adu should have started. The MLS had made such a big deal about this being Adu's debut, it was wrong for them to expect casual sports fans to sit through 60 minutes of the game before seeing Adu in action. Big mistake not starting Adu. If they were really concerned about what is best for Adu as a player, they would not have been hyping him this much.

8. DCUnited*Fan

DCUnited*Fan New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Near Washington DC -
    I honestly didn't see MLS or DC United OVER-hyping this game as "All-Freddy, All-the-time"

Even the mainstream sports fans who are not very into soccer, but know that I am kept asking me, "Do you think Freddy will start?"

I kept telling them probably not, and not one seemed surprised. I just don't think the PTI folks are correct in their assesment of the situation.

NOW, given that was their impression, I can see why they are ed and how that would be a huge marketing blunder.

On the other hand I think it may have left folks with a "I didn't get enough Freddy. I think I'll tune in again"

And those at the game definitely left with an awesome feeling and I think a desire to come back. The next home game should sell pretty well considering some didn't get in to the stadium on openning day and the chance of Freddy plaing more will likely be higher based on his next two games.

9. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United hyped Adu to sell tickets. Adu deserves to be hyped. MLS brass decided to let him do all these shows, 60 minutes, Letterman, TRL, PTI. Adu is not just another professional athlete, he's 14 if he breaks a leg w/ a compound fracture who knows when he'll recover and what he'd be like when he'd return. The hype is only worth noting for the sake of MLS, and based on his U-17 performances. Adu's hype generated interest in the MLS, which is great, but just throwing him outthere as the new poster boy for American soccer at age 14 is not the best idea.

I actually like the idea of restricting RFK to 25K. Because that's how big the New stadium will be or..possibly 30K. I can't wait for the match against the Galaxy, I'd hope that Adu will get to come in again and not as a Target striker but an Attacking Midfield/Wing or 2nd Striker

10. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

No, MLS could not have done that...or they absolutely would have.

The problem, as you mentiond it, is not really a problem. It's more of a perception. When the PTI guys demand an Adu start, they are basing that only somewhat on Adu being the bell cow in terms of salary. Another part of it is substance must follow hype. Backlash from that is standard fare for PTI, regardless of who fails to meet expectations. Still, even they realize how and why Adu is paid is tied to things other than today's skill (like current and future economic impact - which, BTW has already been justified by the .7 ABC rating bump for the opener). For PTI purposes, better to scream about how Adu's 20+ lackluster minutes lead to not being able to shout about anything else but the lack of a start on their next show. Essentially that's their gig.

I'm quite certain that "Heads on Sticks", etc. was not even remotely considered "Journalism" when they both went through J-school years ago...and it still isn't. Entertainment and vertually everything else have merged somewhat.

Appologies if this was mentioned before.

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a "Critics Corner" blurb from Kornheiser on the back page of the Chicago Tribune today lambasting DC, Nowak, and the MLS for not starting Freddy (this might be left over from his last tyrade, but it referenced the 5-day mark). He even tried to pass the entire event off as a con. A "bait and switch" that wasn't what "we" were lead to believe it would be.

I want to know, in what promotion or on what television appearance, or in what magazine did it every say "Come see DC United vs. San Jose and 14 year-old Freddy Adu in the starting lineup?" That's right, it never did. Maybe that's semantics, but never did any media approved by MLS claim that Freddy would be in the starting lineup. Maybe that's what some people wanted, but it wasn't what was advertised.

12. Glasglow Celtic FC

Glasglow Celtic FC New Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I think the MLS did a great dis service to itself by releaseing the that Adu was the highest paid player in the League without even have stepping out on the field. Do they not realize they just put a hugh target on his back? I can see why they signed him to be the highest player rather than risk losing him to an elite Euro under 17 club. Being a Celtic fan I know all to well what its like to bring up a talent only to lose them to the oppistion. All the Feddy Haters need to chill out it will be atleast two to three years before you will be able to see results of his potential. Remeber he is 14! :cool:

13. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

This thread seems to be petering out. We've all dissected Freddy's debut to death. Time to now follow the roadshow to L.A., where we should see another packed crowd. As much as many people would like to feel that Freddy's playing time centers around their needs, Nowak & DC United will do what's in the best interest of the team. I see an amazing story unfolding-I will just sit back and enjoy it, and hope that Freddy realizes his wonderful potential.

14. csh2000

csh2000 New Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Chicago
    At the risk of being dismissed as a "stupid soccerhead", I dropped Tony and Mike a line about their recent coverage of Freddymania. I went for insightful analysis rather than something that they'd actually read on the air in its entirety (like "why you gotta be hating on Piotr Nowak?!?").

15. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great thread csh!

16. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although Kornheiser and Wilbon may know big stories, but they don't know soccer, as I concluded from the few times I've suffered through PTI. And even if they didn't know soccer, they could still fathom the physical challenges of a 14 year kid who's listed at 5'8, 140 lbs (yea, maybe Freddy's 140 if he's giving a piggy back ride to a 4 year old) going up against 25-30 year old veterans who outweigh him by 50% or more. To say nothing of the mental pressure of the national (not just soccer or even sports) calling you you "the next Pele" when you're 14. Nowak got it right because he knows the physical and mental demands on soccer players. US Soccer is lucky Freddy has someone like Nowak nuturing his development right now. Kornheiser and Wilbon may have let their enthusiasm for the big story osbcure what it's clearly in the best interests of Freddy's long term development not as a circus spectacle but a soccer player.