“I’m obsessed by the idea of making my mark in history — and Arsenal is my paradise.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by gooner007, Jul 28, 2003.

1. gooner007

gooner007 New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    From the Sun .. finally some good news !!

Cracking quotes but the best for me is ..

“I’m obsessed by the idea of making my mark in history — and Arsenal is my paradise.

29/7/03

The good wife

By PAT SHEEHAN

THIERRY HENRY has revealed how getting married has calmed him down on and off the pitch.

The Arsenal striker tied the knot this summer with girlfriend Nicole Merry and admits getting hitched has taken the sting out of his fiery temper.

Henry has trouble keeping his emotions in check and landed in big trouble when he launched a furious rant at referee Graham Poll when the Gunners lost 3-1 to Newcastle in December 2001.

But the France international now believes: “Getting married is part of the evolution of my career.

“Before, I was a bit crazy on the pitch. Now I’ve calmed down — and it’s the same in my private life.”

Henry also insists he will not be part of any Highbury exodus, even though captain Patrick Vieira has yet to commit himself to a new contract and has just one year left on his current deal.

But Henry, 25, will stay no matter what happens. He said: “The fact that Arsenal have never won the European Cup makes me want to stay.

“I want to build something with Arsenal and, if we can bring the trophy to London one day, it would mean making history.

“The atmosphere here is fantastic. I can’t see how any footballer could want more.”

Henry claimed 32 goals last season but admits he got just as much pleasure from the 20 goals he created.

He added: “My 20 assists represented much more in my eyes than my 32 goals.

“Manager Arsene Wenger encouraged me to work on my strong points.

“Now I can shoot, cross, or provide the final pass and even take free-kicks with my right or left foot.

“There are still weaknesses in my game but being better in the air is no big deal to me.”

HE'S THE MANN ... keeper Jens Lehmann gets to grips with things
    during his first training session with his new team-mates

Meanwhile, Wenger has expressed his delight at finally landing German international goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.

Gunners paid Borussia Dortmund £1.5million for the 6ft 2in stopper as a replacement for David Seaman, who joined Manchester City this summer.

Wenger said: “I have been after Jens for years but Dortmund were never willing to sell.

“He is very experienced and used to playing under pressure. I wanted to sign a keeper with a big stature and personality.”

Former AC Milan star Lehmann, 33, said: “Arsenal are one of the world’s top teams.”

Dortmund president Dr Gerd Niebaum added: “It was not an easy decision to sell Jens as we have lost Europe’s best keeper.”

Gunners take on Turkish champions Besiktas tonight as part of their tour of Austria.

2. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    We are lucky to have this fellow. Never forget it...