“Football. Futbol. Soccer. MLS”

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    http://american-soccer-news.com/?p=90

This is a joke, what an awful slogan. I'll come up with a better marketing campaign right now on my own, you try too.

Mine is "tricky" one word nice and simple. Show the best moves MLS players made last year, get the defender that got schooled on camera shaking his head and saying "I couldn't stop that" or something to that effect. Finish with "tricky" its my version of the PGA's "these guys are good" campaign.

2. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It beats the whole face paint thing.

3. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember to:

WORK HARD.
    PLAY HARDER!

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awful.

"Instead of being the breeding ground for future U.S. national players, the faces of the league will include David Beckham and Cuauhtemoc Blanco."

Wasn't it just a few years ago that Garber was talking very heavily about promoting the young US guys? This being the league of the Eddie Johnson, Freddy Adu, Landon Donovan type players?

Anyone else think the league needs some new marketing guys?

Last I checked, this is an American league in America.

Something smells funky in MLS HQ.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever the hell that means.

The Crewzers in 2008 promise to WORK HARD. DANCE HARDER.

TyphonInc repped this.
  6. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I guess it's an upgrade, but not by much to me, what are the ESPN comercials going to be.

Football: Lampard scores at Stamford Bridge crowd goes wild.
    Futbol: Totti scores at Stadio Olimpico crowd goes wild.
    Soccer/MLS: Gaven blows a sitter at CCS and the crowd groans in frustration.

What I want is something that makes a kid want to go out and kick a ball with his friends. At the same time I want a teen/young adult to think "sick". While an adult, even a soccer hating adult has to admit "that was impressive".

7. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will just be too confusing to rednecks wondering where the QB is and why the guys running around are using their feet and not wearing pads.

8. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be an ass but it's not called "futbol" in italy. It's "calcio" or some such. Futbol is spanish.

9. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I don't think you're an ass, I deserved that, I thought it was something else but was to lazy to check.

10. soccerwookie

soccerwookie New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Columbus OH

11. smithnwesson

smithnwesson New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    MLS just needs to teach Americans what skill is in soccer.

If someone sees a great goal, they might just assume it was luck. But a good marketing strategy would involve showing the goal, then explain that the only way to get that ball in the net was to put it a space no bigger than the opening of a car window. Then show an MLS player kicking the soccer ball into a moving car window.

Skills.

That's what I'm saying. People know how hard it is to play golf, because they've played. But since many adults never played soccer, you have to show them how difficult it is to do what a professional soccer player does.

Plus, the aim of getting soccer people to come back to American soccer isn't going to work until MLS can sign the truly great stars, not wash-ups and greats on their way back down to earth.

12. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially on the new silver poles that will be installed on the stage for halftime shows sponsored by Club Platinum.

13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus

Hey, maybe we can have Ngwenya kick a basketball into a basket or something...

14. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice point. Something like Micheal Jordan's "Nothing But Net". That made me want to play, why not just cop that? It's familiar to people and it works. And, just show a shitload of goals.

That's my one roommates problem. He is like there is not enough scoring for me. I try to say well dude if each goal counted for 7 points you would be impressed. Like a 3-2 game is really like a 21-14 score. So show a crazy ammount of goals.

Or change each goal to 7 points. Or 100 points, lol. I really think soccer and hockey's problems lie there. :rolleyes:

But MLS and ESPN don't get it. It's like with these promo's soccer isn't cool enough on it's own so lets jazz it up with something else. When it is.

Like I think a "Nothing But Net" campaign would be great. Like have three players arguing and outdoing each other by talking about their clips from games of doing better shit then each other. It would also put a humanistic approach on the players if they were laughing and having a good time, cause I think people who like other sports treat people who like soccer as if they are aliens.

15. jonathan.hays

jonathan.hays Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Dublin
    Great idea, but you know the production would end up being terrible, and it would look more like a high school project (like Crew commercials).

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe "calcio" means "to kick" or some such.

17. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    In Italian, calcio does meen football/futbol/soccer. And "to kick" in English translates to "per dare dei calci a" in Italian. Kick is "scossa" and "foot kick" is "scossa del piede"

18. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I guess I should clarify my previous post. These are really, really rough translations. I hardly know squat and any Italian I have picked up come from a Portuguese friend, which should tell you a lot.