News: Óscar Pareja leaving for Xolos

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ElJefe, Nov 17, 2018.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN puts the remainder of their Serie A coverage on ESPN+. They also carry Eredivisie, the English Football League (a.k.a. the three divisions below the Premier League), the FA Cup, and USL. And oh yes, MLS.

It's a pretty good deal at $50 a year.

2. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've thought about getting ESPN+, but paying more for TV on top of what I already pay makes me gag on that idea.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that. I've been cutting back on what I spend on TV lately, mostly by going from DirecTV (the satellite service) to DirecTV Now (the streaming service) and saving about $50 a month.

Besides, as someone who lives far from D/FW, paying the moolah for ESPN+ is the only way I get to see FCD.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed. I cut cable/satellite for a shared DirecTV Now account (barely use it), shared Netflix/Hulu/Amazon and my own ESPN+. Saving about $100 vs what I used to spend.

5. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xolos played their first home game with Pareja in charge vs. Tigres. Tijuana fans welcomed Pareja by presenting him with plenty of empty seats as he was accustomed to seeing in Frisco.
    Xolos lost 3-0, but the game was pretty even until they gave up an own goal on a corner kick.
    Oddest thing about the game was Xolos supporters horn section playing "The Night Chicago Died" and Blondie's "Heart of Glass". I thought I might be hearing things, but the wife agreed that's what they were playing.

6. Rufiolo

Rufiolo Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your wife watched Liga MX with you?! I am super impressed. My wife usually falls asleep whenever I turn sports on. If it is the Cowboys or FCD, she knows I am going to be loud...

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xolos are now dead last in Liga MX after two matches, with zero points, zero GF, and 5 GA.

It's a bit early, but the club is not renowned for its exceptional patience with managers, even among Liga MX clubs. If things don't start getting better really quickly, Óscar Pareja might start the MLS season as a candidate for whichever gigs open up during the season.

8. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    This was a major driver of my theory that Oscar was simply so convinced the FCD model wasn't workable, he took a gig which has had 7 coaches in the last 8 years (or something like that). He took it knowing if it quickly blew up, he'd find another gig, but he knew he wasn't going to get what he needed to win in Frisco - so why stick around?

BTW, I've watched parts of two of Xolos and they're terrible. Pretty sure last seasons' FCD team would roll this current Oscar team.

cowtown repped this.
  9. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he was looking to use Xolos to quickly launder himself and not raise any eyebrows that would've gotten raised if he had moved directly from FCD to another MLS club? Sort of like what Nedyalkov did last year when he used FCD as a waystation between his old club in Bulgaria and his current one?

That's clever.

TCS35 and Pegasus repped this.
  10. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly "watched." She's in the room with me and will take a look at the game if I yell at something or ask her to look.

11. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999

No, I wasn't thinking something so thought out. I was just more thinking there was some event or moment that gave him the realization he needed to just go somewhere else and Xolos had the best and first ticket out.

cowtown, TCS35 and Pegasus repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he really wanted the US job and was trying to win a title for FCD before he left. When it didn't happen he'd already left FCD in his mind so took that first ticket out then. Or maybe the first foreign ticket as he realized he would need more than just an MLS coaching resume (and junior US team assistant).

13. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Buzz has told the story several times Oscar had told him he really wanted an opportunity to coach Colombia, but to even be considered, he'd have to prove himself against a media swarm like Mexico.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense. He has said he would only leave for a few teams but now he may have had to leave for a team that wasn't on those lists too eventually get to his destinations.

15. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OP has Xolos up to 4th place in Liga MX, undefeated in their last 5 games (4 wins, 1 tie). Coincidentally (or not) the last American just left the club. Joe Corona transferred to the Galaxatives.