Ángel Fabián ("El Fideo") Di María Hernández: Di Maria Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by Quaresma, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Normally I'd agree that Real Madrid is a circus tio which no young player should be subjected to.

However Mourinho likes him a lot and Higuain as well. Working under him can only improve di Maria and make him realize more of his potential and he needs to be under more pressure because in the long run that is beneficial for us.

He needs to be taken out of his comfort zone so to speak.

2. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Still waiting for Di Maria to spark into life in this tournament, hopefully he will start on Saturday.:D

3. echohund

echohund New Member

Mar 20, 2008
    He looked kind of nervous against Mexico...I was frustrated, I wanted him to turn run over the Mexico defense and score on the slow Arquero!!

Di Maria is the shiznit!! He will shine in this next game against Germany....I can feel it!!

4. elbp

elbp Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Cordoba, ARG
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't forget these are young lads shouldering the nation expectations. He's played what, 5-6 games in total? Besides, I guess it's difficult for anyone to keep his thoughts and nerves in check when his name is on all the footy papers the world over. The transfer deal may have affected his concentration, hopefully now he is in the right mindset to set to WC alight.

Di Maria is the next big thing and I am sticking with him no matter what.

5. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's clear that Maradona holds him in high regard,I would stick with him because if he turns it on he is a match winner.

6. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When he is played on the left. ;)

If we go HTM then we will play more narrowly esp.if Heinze and Otamendi (that was a magnificent cross for the Hig to bury against Mexico which he did not unfortunately) don't go forward.

Angelito could be just the thing to stretch that German back four and create space in the middle for Pipita and Leo.

7. lapulga10

lapulga10 New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Di maria is one of my favorite players and I would normally ALWAYS starth him. But in this game, if the rumors are true that pastore will start, Gutierrez should replace Di Maria on the left because the lineup would simply be too attacking and although it would be very dangerous attack it could easily be countered on. With Gutierrez in there he will ALWAYS track back and try to stop the germans from counterring. just my opinion

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree with this, I also think it may help the noodle to come off the bench for a match or two.

9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Biggest letdown of the tourney is from Di Maria. I just hope he does not go to Madrid and get lost in the shuffle. Already played poorly so if he goes to Madrid and sits on that bench, then his confidence is going to hit rock bottom. So talented but does not seem to think very much when he is on the pitch. Hopefully Mourinho establishes something in that little brain of his.

10. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mourinho likes him a lot. And he gets players into shape.

As I said Angelito has not prospered by being played out of position he showed more when he played at RW in the QF when deployed on it.

He was excellent in that role in Munich in the friendly setting up Higuain and creating the 2 other oppurtunities.

He's not been done any favours. Besides he'll have Perotti chasing his heels and that can only be good for the seleccion to have 2 such gifted players for that role.

11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I was reading a blog earlier today(Mundo Albiceleste), the guy wrote for us on Soccernet(Seba Garcia) during the WC. It was written that Di Maria complained about his role during the WC. He did not like the position he played and he was not comfortable with it. Well he was not the only one. As for Perotti, I think the kid is a stud and is more reliable then Di Maria. He has let me down a lot, I mean he was our worse player that played nearly all of ur games. Plus Perotti has that oldschool Argentino that does not back down to nobody. I hope he gets more of a chance.

Him bumping that punk Guti in a game earlier this year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSlFgnM323o"]YouTube- Guti pelea con jugadores del Sevilla[/ame]

12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He certainly has the right mentality which is so important for a young kid.

Manolo Jimenez said he plays without fear like a seasoned old campaigner. Guti is an idiot anyway. No doubt shooting his mouth again and running away at the first sight of trouble.:D

I like kids with this attitude. Mourinho instil's that attitude. Angelito at the moment needs an arm around him to get the best out of him.

Leto is a peripheral choice at this moment.He's done reasonably well at Panathinaikos in getting used to European football.

13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agree about the mental thing. I loved Di Maria when I saw him in the U-20 WC and was one of the first people to rave about him to family and friends. I believed the kid had it. He needs to prove himself, and I hope RM can give him what he needs. He will play with stars and hope he can be something. But again Mourinho does like him.

Leto is a good player and always liked him. But he seems to fall in that ladder of Lisandro(which is a damn shame!) Chelito (who would of done Di Maria's job X5) D'Alessandro and co. As long as Diego is coach, we will never see these players again(D'Alessandro I do not mind because the kid is a bit loco if you ask me). In a months time if Diego will play Di Maria in that same spot vs the Irish.

14. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I picked di Maria, Aguero and Banega as the top 3 players from that u20 team and they are all exceptionally gifted.

Mourinho would see Angelito as the counterweight to Ronaldo and I can see him adopting his straight 4-4-2 there.

For the friendly against the FAI who knows who will be in charge........ ;)

Certainly many player might not be available due to WC exertions and pre season training. I'd hope we have a new coach by then and gradually prior to the Copa new talents bedded into the team because preperation for 2014 begins here.

15. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Full name: Ángel Fabián Di María Hernández
    Date of birth: 2/14/1998
    Place of birth: Rosario, Argentina
    Height: 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)
    Playing position: Winger/Attacking Midfielder

[​IMG]

16. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    "Hablar de una individualidad me cuesta, no te puedo decir nada nuevo de lo que yo pensaba ya de Ángel, para mí es uno de los cinco o diez mejores jugadores del mundo, por eso el Manchester United ha pagado esa cantidad por él", dijo el Tata Martino.

17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    One of the most interesting BigSoccer posts in hindsight.

Moishe and RiverGaucho repped this.
  18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow this thread is funny looking back over the years.

I really like Di Maria and I think he may have been the difference in the world cup final, but i think people are getting a bit carried away about him.

He was pretty bad in the world cup except for his goal against switzerland. Before that point, he had attempted the most shots in the whole tournament without scoring. He lost the ball countless times in that swiss game alone... I think he is one of those cases when a player's "mystique" grows in his absence...

As for him being in the top 3 in the world... Lets be serious... He is a fantastic player, he works for the team, he can play in a number of positions, and he can score and create plenty of assists, but he's not close to the top 3...

Once again, I'm not trying to diss di maria i just don't get the absurd hype around him just because of this germany game. Before the world cup, no one was talking about him as Balon D'Or candidate, and while he was damn good in the CL Final, he was far from Madrid's most important player up to that point. (Yes he as very important, but madrid carved apart bayern munich thanks to Ramos on set plays, which is also what won them the final after all)

19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I found it amazing, this guy bump this thread from the abyss just to pointing Di Maria didnt score at group stage while in other thread he praised Pipita (former River) despite not scoring for 4 consecutive match and then posted his winning goal against Belgium.

Our defence can be considered overated too if you count their performance at group stage.

Pipiolo repped this.
  20. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #95 RiverGaucho, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
    Whatever dude, I didn't bump the thread I was just commentated how all the sudden people are calling di maria is a Balon De Oro candidate because of a great friendly.

I never nominated Pipita for Balon de Oro and i certainly don't think he's top 3 in the world, but di maria isn't either.

All the sudden Di Maria is considered on the level of Messi, when in reality people just like to beat on Messi. Its the reality of a world with social media, people make judgements based on one game without judging a body of work over a period of time

And if you don't like River of that I'm a River supporter i'll remind you river has supplied more players for the argentine national team than any other club

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The bolded statement may be true at face value, but a lot of these players go to River Plate from smaller clubs after they show excellent form, and then are called up to the NT.

22. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    River has supplied many of the seleccion over the years Pipiolo direct from the cantera. If you could recall the River diaspora right now River would be one of the best teams in the world immediately but finances in the current global game mean that is impossible at present.

As for di Maria being in the top three or five players. He is. There are things he does I don't see other players having either the audacity of technical ability able to do so.

He had a poor World Cup Gaucho ? Hardly. He was a constant threat even when being doubled up on. He gave the ball away against Switzerland a record number of times ? So what ? He was playing against a massed defence still nerly set up one goal, had a great effort saved by Benaglio and scored the winner. That shows character.

He was on fire against Belgium. Playing keepy uppy and then playing a delicious inch perfect crossfield ball and playing a part in Higuains goal.

Losing him was crucial. We did not score after that although you can blame Crapacio, Maxi, Higuain and Messi for that. His skill, pace and creativity are a crucial foil for Messi. In tandem they are more effective for each other as we have seen numerous times in the seleccion. With him in the final despite what the bogey eater says in his arrogance considering what Lavezzi was doing there is no doubt he would have made a telling contribution to victory.

Players mature and pick up confidence as they develop. di Maria has gone from being an inconsistent talent with issues about asserting himself on the field to a man whose own belief in himself has grown and grown under the guidance of several coaches notably Mourinho and Ancelotti.

Now he has the perfect platform at Manchester United to be the talismanic figure and receive his rightful adulation given to other talismanic figures that are seen as the figureheads of their clubs ie Cristina and Leo.

Pipiolo and locoxriver repped this.
  23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sorry Albiceleste, but Di Maria is not 5 in the world... Messi, Cristiano, Zlatan, Suarez, Robben, Bale, Neymar, and more in no particular order...

Look man, I love Di Maria, but he's not that great.... Look at Bale, he was a #3, but people realized he was an unstoppable player, so the made him a forward and look at the results... Di Maria has been given more defensive responsibilities over his career and thats not just because of Florentino's marketing campaign... Over a career, a top player should be given more offensive options, especially in di maria's position, its been the opposite for him

Di Maria is awesome, but he doesn't score free kicks, doesn't score often.... I love the guy but I can't take the hype. If i were a russian or arab and was buying a football club, i'd buy aguero before di maria... and vidal and pogba meanwhile