Ángel Fabián ("El Fideo") Di María Hernández: Di Maria Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by Quaresma, Jul 26, 2007.

1. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Did Di Maria even play today? The only time I saw him was when he was being substituted. I think Diego had more touches than him.

2. bustos21

bustos21 Member

Aug 13, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yup i agree. if he is giong to be mvp like everyone suggest then he needs to improve his game big time.

3. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    If he and the team end the tournament the way they want, NO ONE will remember this first game. He (along w/ Higuain) looked a bit nervous. Look for that to be rectified in the next game. Having said that, I don't think he'll be the player of the tournament...Best young player, perhaps.

4. ELMELOH

ELMELOH New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    yeah they looked very stiff,,,
    not necessarily bad but just very nervous,,

5. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    3-4-3 sucks for him. especially that Tevez didn't do anything to deserve a starter.

Without a doubt, the worst seleccion match for Di Maria ever.

6. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Tevez did very little but more than him.
    I kept seeing Higuain at the places where Di Maria should be, wtf.

7. msi2

msi2 Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE
    IMO his position wasnt helping him (similar to Jonason the other side).

8. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    he was clearly nervous. his positioning didn't help, but his touch was way off from what we normally see

9. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    His (and Higuain's) first game at a world cup, it's a big moment when you have the eyes of millions and millions of people on you and he's only a young lad, so I'm not surprised he was nervous. Hopefully now he's got that out of the way he'll get better.

10. threervana

threervana Member

Jun 4, 2008
    China
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Come on dudes, it's just his first game...Don't worry then, I still trust him.
    He always offers his service when we need it the most like he did in U20 and Olympics, especially in the knock-out stages!!

But he really has to fit into this new formation cos I kept seeing him in the #9 zone....kinda weird...It's Diego's tactics to switch him with Higuain (Pipata sometimes switched to the right side) or what?

11. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Today DiMaria took one for the team, in that others shone besides him. The game that ended up being played today did not benefit him. Come the game against Korea and we will see the DiMaria runs again.

VAMOS ARGENTINA!!!!

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where has Di Maria been the whole tournament? :confused: I love the way he plays, always have.. ever since his Rosario Central days, really. But the truth is he has been absent the entire World Cup so far. Is it time to sub him out?

13. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I think maybe it is :(

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know what is wrong with him, hell I been impressed with Pastore with the 20min he has played than Di Maria for the 3.5 games thus far. He did well vs Germany in Berlin in a friendly, but maybe he is running out of fumes. He is dead weight, but I am somewhat hopefully. But who would we replace for him?

15. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Awful. Angel Di Maria is a nervous wreck so far. He is the first candidate to be subbed out for any decent left midfielder. I'd say to give Pastore a chance or Kun. Or maybe even more defensive ever since the right midfield side of the Germans is not the worst.

16. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Give him credit he is playing aan unfamiiar role against his natural inclinations.

He needs to play up top on the left stretching the pitch and cutting in or providing crosses which is his forte. But then we'd need to remove Tevez probably and bring in Pastore/ Bolatti for midfield balance attack/defence wise.

17. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Di Maria isn't getting any benefit with Tevez playing in front of him. The 4-3-3 doesn't favour him at all. I think he had a very good match against South Korea, in the other matches, when he gets the ball there's a good difference.

18. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    jajajajaja
    And the fact Heinze refuses to go up. He makes a run for 10 yards and stops when he overlaps, then the ball turns back going to Mascherano or Burdisso.
    Di Maria played like a DM today, he had 2 or 3 chance getting the ball above the half way line and there was no one to support him in all of those chances. His side was clearly told to stay back and he did just so, running back and forth getting a workout for nothing.

19. threervana

threervana Member

Jun 4, 2008
    China
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In this system, he is more of a balanced side midfielder than a fully attacking winger....

He still has three games to shine...Hope he would expose at least once:)

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Are you just pulling stuff out of your ass, cause I don't see a 4-3-3 anywhere in the formation. It's a 4-4-2 straight up, with a traditional South American diamond midfield (DM: Mascherano, RM: Rodriguez, LM: Dimaria, AM: Messi). However, I think it's a waste to have Messi come back so far down next to Mascherano to begin our plays. I would prefer a Veron, Bolatti or Pastore in there in a 4-2-3-1.

21. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Apparently we just purchased him, so info about where and how he plays would be appreciated. I've watched a few clips of him in the recent past, but nothing substantial. He'd better be good!

22. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Up until the World Cup he had been playing at a freakishly high level for both club and country. Tremendous on the wing, very quick and unselfish. He makes good decisions for a young player and can honestly move to either wing and be effective. You guys got a wonderful player.

23. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Is he a 4-3-3 out-and-out winger type, or can he also play as a wide midfielder in a 4-5-1? The main concern on our forum seems to be whether we can get Kaka, Ronaldo, Di Maria and Higuain (or Benzema) all on the pitch at the same time. We might be able to do that with a 4-5-1, but if he doesn't track back and we use a 4-3-3 then our midfield looks a bit flimsy.

24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At his best he's an out and out winger. If needed he can play as a wide midfielder and he will track back. He and Ronaldo along with Higuain in the middle would give Madrid a nice bit up front and if Kaka can play consistently for a long clip then you'll be happy.

25. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Di Maria, I'm sorry brother but you messed up by going to Real. Hopefully, Mourinho plays you the right way. I would have preferred to have seen you wearing Barca colors.