¿Group of Death?

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., Feb 14, 2005.

1. The question is simple, Which is the group of dead of Copa Libertadores 2005?

2. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Good thread. ;)
    I'm gonna go with Group 2(Santos, LDU, Bolivar, Danubio) because of Bolivar's advantage in high altitude and Santos and LDU are very good teams. Danubio is also a good team. Other groups could be (Atl. Paranaense, America, Ind. Medellin, Libertad) and also Group 7 (Cobreloa, Guadalajara, Once Caldas, San Lorenzo)

3. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel
    the group of death is this one
    group 2
    Santos :mad:
    LDU :mad:
    Bolivar
    Danuvio

4. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    Fortunately not Sao Paulos:

Sao Paulo
    Quilmes
    Strongest
    Universidad de Chile

This a group which Sao Paulo can pass very easily, without a loss I would say

5. tiburon

tiburon New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    West Palm Beach, FL
    yea sao paulo has the easiest group i think...

junior wont have it easy in group 5 with heavy weights like river plate & nacional de uruguay

it wont be easy but those teams are defeatable as long as junior comes up with a good strategy and our DT doesnt fvck up like always :mad:
    the first test for junior will come tomorrow against nacional in montevideo, if they come out with a good result it will be a major weight off their back since this will probably be one of their hardest matches next to river vs junior in buenos aires..

JUNIOR TU PAPA!

F ¤ R ¤ B ¤ S

6. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    looking forward for bolivar to play like in the sudamericana even though its a much harder tournament :)

7. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'm gonna go with Group 2:

Santos: They $hit in their pants when playing against Uruguayan (Danubio) teams, for some reason . Like argies and uruguas, they $hit in their pants when it comes to high altitude (Bolivar). Santos cannot win in ecuador (LDU) for some reason.
    Bolivar: All they have is the altitude on their side. Home wins will be most likely positive that will come out this. Bolivar, can be said, that they're one of the top teams in South America.
    LDU: Not the same strong team of the past 2 years. Will lose all away games as shown against Penarol. Like Bolivar, they will depend alot on home wins.
    Danubio: Little team with little to aspire to. Like brazilians, they will $hit in their pants in the high altitude (Boliviar). Like LDU and Boliviar, home wins will be key.

Overall for all teams, home wins will be key. Expect alot of home wins in this group, thus making it a true group of death.

8. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel
    La Liga would make this teams pssssssss in their pants, if there are no more "mano negra"

9. kaviedes_freak

kaviedes_freak New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    Peruytu i suppose you didn't know that that dumb Brazilan ref tried to get Liga eliminated for various reasons which were discussed in another board.

And I disagree that LIga was stronger two years ago. We got a great group with new great additions such as Edison Mendez, Ariel Grazziani, ROberto Palacios, Cristian Mora, Alex Aguinaga (second season) and perhaps Gabriel Garcia (looked pretty dangerous and unlucky to score).

We have great depth in our attacking, mid-field and with the addition of Mora, pretty good keepers. No need to worry about defence as Espinola mans the back very well with La Sombra providing his big immoveable body and presence everywhere at the backline with Ambrossi and Reasco or Gomez running down the sides.

I suppose the Peruvian teams are "Great" teams. LOL only 2 teams in the Copa for Peruytu....atleast you got El Potro Figueroa on Sporting. ;)

And don't forget just recently LDU beat Santos away.

10. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Heh someone got offended...
    Dude, my intentions were not to offend you, nor any ecuadorian LDU fan. Unfortunately you got your own feathers ruffled... so don't look at me just for expressing my opinion about a team that i've seen many times play. Of course my opinions were based on many things and i'm just gonna state one, and that is that the colombian, murillo is it? Well he was basicaly the reason LDU were so good. Oh and yeah, I did see the Penarol game... although it could be said the ref was very unfair and seemed to be siding with the uruguayans, you can also say that the LDU were on the extreme of faking injuries.

And since you took your time to actually try to attack me, which I must say, it was a very weak attempt. But if you'd like to compare Peruvian and ecuadorian teams then you should really look deep into what your ecuadorian teams have won... yeah, nothing. Cienciano were champs of the Copa Sudamericana buddy. Now i'm not saying Cienciano is this is great massive team... I know they currently suck due to the fact that most of the team has been disbanded and they had this AWSOME ecuadorian coach :rolleyes:, but at least the latter has been taken care of...., but all i'm saying, Cienciano are champs and what has any ecuadorian won. Sorry kid but you dug your own grave... just jump.

Also, it doesn't bother me that there are only 2 Peruvian team in the Copa Libertadores... is not like i'm going to lose any sleep. As i've stated before, I was rooting for Cienciano all the way, but since they're out I really could care less now. Sporting Cristal, I may watch them just for kicks and giggles... anyways, they have an ecuadorian player on their team, I mean how good can they be if they resorted to this? And Alianza Lima? HAH Well as i've said before and i'll say it again, I hope they get a$$ raped by every single team they play.

Enjoy. :)

11. kaviedes_freak

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    while it is true that Ecuadorian clubs didn't win any championships yet, but so who cares if Cienciano won the copa Sudamerica? It just show that no one cares about that tournament. And it was not Sevilla's fault that Cienciano got whooped by Guadalajara. He is not the one on the field. It is just easier to fire a coach and get a new one.

And there is a poll saying which team will win the copa first....just go and see which team is leading that poll, my peruvian friend.

And yes i took it as an insult what you said about one of my teams saying they aren't as strong as before. Murrillo is a great player but he is not the best player....you have to give the honors to Franklin El Mago Salas followed by Paul Ambrossi or Alex Aguinaga. You obviously have an issue against Ecuadorians. I am happy that El CHorri is a Liga player. I know he is one of Peru's best players ever and it is an honor to have him as I know he will help us win and he helped us qualify against Penarol.

And I didn't dig myself a grave. I can say so many things that can upset any Peruvian futbol fan, but I won't do that. And I am sure you can say many things about Ecuador, but anything negative is mostly in the past as the present and Future is looking good.

12. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not to mention LDU got altitude in Quito too.

13. kaviedes_freak

Oct 1, 2004
    Toronto
    yes let's not forget the infamous Altitude :eek: Brazil's worst nightmare.
    I think the altitude is not as big as people think. It is nothing compared to the hights of La Paz. And even though they got little air up there, they lose half their games...while LIga win almost all....what does that show :rolleyes:
    hey you know, all the Ecuadorian teams are in the Sierra so they ALL HAVE ALTITUDE!! MWA HAHAAHAHA! :D

14. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Apparantly Boca Juniors cared enough to play their league games with subs and put all their top players to only play last year's Sudamericana.... make your own conclusions. Same can be said when Cienciano won it, River Plate did the same Boca did, and Santos and Atletico Nacional and again Boca Juniors did it for the Recopa which Cienciano also won (huh make that two cups for Cienciano buddy ;)). If that ecuadorian was this great coach, why did he only last a little more than a month? Don't you think if he had any good qualities, they would've at least given him chance to show it? It was obvious that the man sucked... and not because he's ecuadorian, simply because he sucks bad. And yes, I do agree that Cienciano does suck, but at least they're making the right decisions to remedy it. Got rid of the ecuadorian and they're going after a good striker, some colombian valentierra. Any striker at this point would be a good addition since their current batch of strikers ALL suck. I can go on and on about the negative aspects of the team but to deny that the ecuadorian wasnt a big part of CIenciano's lameness is absurd.

Polls? you're relying on bigsoccer.com polls???? Stop there while you think you're ahead.

I say it as I see it. Murrilo was the best LDU had and now he's gone. You can't compare him to any of the current LDU strikers. No, I have nothing against ecuadorians as I agree that Salas is a great player... indeed he is. But thats just about all LDU has. Aguinaga and Palacios, although great players in their own time, they're both old and will hardly add anything good to the team, if any. And no, Chorri is not one of Peru's best players.. but unfortunately he's the only number 10 that the Seleccion has. But its ok, Juan Cominges of Colon Santa Fe will be taking over Chorri's place in the Seleccion soon enough.

You can say anything you want, this is a forum to express your feelings, please don't back out out of expression your feelings. I mean, weren't you the one that said that I had something against ecuadorians? To me it seems likeyou have something against Peruvians....
    Anyways next time you feel like saying something have some base because it seems to me that you're adamant at making your ecuadorian teams champs but sometimes you just have to be realistic just as I am when it comes to Peruvian teams.

Anyways, in the end, i'm the one sitting back and relaxed as I see this year's Copa Libertadores as pure futbol entertainment. But if you ever really want to get MY feathers ruffled, just wait for the Copa Sudamericana when la U plays.. maybe then you can say something that will upset me, and maybe then I will start talking bad about ecuadorians.... but as for now, its all about entertainment.

Enjoy :)

15. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have to admit, I dont see a true 'group of death'
    For Group 2 - Only Santos (BRA) has gone far in the Libertadores as of late- Bolivar, altitude or not, has choked and usually doesnt get past the 1st round, Danubio is a young team just starting to put their name out (like Fenix did a couple of years ago) and Liga is the best that Ecuador has to offer, but also can't get past the sweet 16 round. Not to say Liga - Santos isn't a great game to watch, but would you feel the same about Liga/Santos - Danubio?? probably only if your Ecuadorian/Uruguayan.

For Group 1 - There's a bit more rivalry involved. America de Cali has been to the finals 4 times, and to the semis 6. DIM and America were both in the semis 2 years ago, DIM losing to Boca and America de Cali to Santos. DIM is stacked with talent. America de Cali is betting on it's youngsters. They both know each other very well. Libertad is a strong team like most Paraguayans squads but they may not enough depth. Strangely enough they seem to always get a 'Colombian group'. That being said, their really isn't some deep rivalry, and I see them having a tough time making it thru. Atl. Para. is another strong team from Brazil. The last time they played in Colombia (I think 2001 or 2002) they were sent home packing by America de Cali 5-1. That was the year that Atl. Para. had won the Brazilian championship -- this will be a heated match. Again, except for America - DIM, I'm pulling teeth to get a real rivalry/death group.

And after what I saw with San Lorenzo in the clausura, (3-0 vs Olimpo), I don't know if they have what it takes to make it big in this tourney. River + Boca are far above what Quilmes/San Lorenzo have to offer. Once Caldas has allot to prove, and Chivas is on a high after winning 5-1 in Cusco. Cobreloa is a Chilean powerhouse but again not making it a true 'group of death' ...

the next stage (sweet 16 round) will be lovely!!

16. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    True true, all groups have only 2 "strong" teams, or teams with more history and that are clear favorites. A group of death should have at least 3.

I think the Pachuca/Boca rivalry will be pretty good, and DIM/América/Paranaense (they are Brazilian after all) and Libertad could give the surpries, of course that's the group I'm really watching. Another group that's pretty even, and could be labeled "group of death" is Junior/Nacional/River......I believe will see some pretty nice games out of this group, and here I believe Junior is that one that has to prove they can play with the big boys after a long recess from Copa.

Other than that, the Once/San Lorenzo/Chivas........I don't know how Once will do this year, but they have to defend their title....San Lorenzo they are very inconsistant, and Chivas.......well I think Cienciano wasn't a good measuring stick to begin with, I didn't expect them to get killed like that but it happens.....oh I heard that Cienciano is after Valentierra.

17. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel

sorry for u my lil sad friend, Elkin Murillo is still on the team

this r some of Liga's recent games
    Liga 4 Santos 2
    Liga 2 Santos 1
    Santos 1 Liga 2
    Liga 4 Cienciano 0
    Cienciano 2 Liga 2
    altitude or not Liga always find a way to beat them

u can say that cienciano won tha Sudamericana and Recopa, but u cant say that Peruvian clubs r the biggest POMADAS on this tournaments

18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why don't you put a poll on that? Let's measure our opinions.

Personaly, I think that groups 1 (America (Col), DIM, Libertad, Paranaense) and 7 (Chivas, Cobreloa, Once Caldas, San Lorenzo) are the toughest. You cannot see wich two will advance and there will be a strong team left behind. This is not to say that the other groups are easier, only that it is easier to pick the favorites from lets say group 8 or group 4. Another intriguing group is Group 6 where I do not see a team able to reach quarterfinals/semifinals, but at the same time I think all of them have a fair chance to make round of 16.

19. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    They say the deal is done.

20. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Oh good for you, if murillo is still in the team then LDU has a good chance to go far.. if not then you guys are screwed. Must suck to depend on just one guy though. But with the quality of coach that LDU has, Oblitas, i'm sure he'd be able to come up with a good tactic to adjust to murillo's absence.

Yeah, I must admit that I am "sad" that my team, Universtiario is not there in the Copa LIbertadores and hasn't won any Libertadores or Sudamericana. But then again not too "sad" since we'll be playing the Sudamericana this year. But the word "SAD" must be awarded to the "SADDEST" people in all of South America, apart from bolivia and venezuela who haven't won a damn thing, and that is ecuador. It must really suck to not have won a Copa America, a Libertadores or even a Sudamericana. It must be "SAD" to be an ecuadorian... hmm come to think of it, i'm really quite not THAT "SAD." ;)

21. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bolivia won a Copa America, 1963 i think.

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You're right!!!

Copa America Winners

14 Argentina (1921,1925,1927,1929,1937,1941,1945,1946,1947,1955,1957,1959-1,1991,1993)
    14 Uruguay (1916,1917,1920,1923,1924,1926,1935,1942,1956,1959-2,1967,1983,1987,1995)
    7 Brazil (1919,1922,1949,1989,1997,1999,2004)
    2 Paraguay (1953,1979)
    2 Peru (1939,1975)
    1 Bolivia (1963)
    1 Colombia (2001)

23. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Oh yeah, sorry, Bolivia did win it... wow even they have something to be happy about. :)

Anyways, this thread is has been derailed in a bad bad way... due to some unrealistic fans.

So we should get back to the topic at hand....

24. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel
    oh man, i m so sad for u cuz i think this year u r not going to world cup either , sorry just forget what u have did, and think in the future

anyway, these r Liga's forward for these tournament
    gael garcia
    ariel graziani
    elkin murillo
    franklin salas

25. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    What you think and what the facts/numbers are miles apart. Peru is only 3 point from ecuador in the elimininatorias standings. And so far Peru has tied ecuador in ecuador 0-0. So keep on thinking, maybe some day people will start caring.