¿Deriamos de Tener Coeficiente en la Libertadores?

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by superfrantheman, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can help with the endless arguments on what league is better, by results we see that Chile, Uruguay and Colombia are very close for the #3 spot.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Definitely, it was great to see your work. But I think it is widely known that (in leagues) Brazil is a clear #1, Argentina a clear #2, Mexico a clear #3 and Chile, Uruguay and Colombia fall in the 4-6 range. Also, that Venezuela and Bolivia are the weakest.

It'd be interesting to see trends, that is, taking windows of 5 years results from both Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudemericana to see the overall trend (say, 2002-2006, 2003-2007, 2004-2008 and 2005-2009). I'd say the Argentina league is dropping in points, while the Mexican league is rising. Also, I'd say Chile has gone up while Colombia has come down.

The analysis cannot go back beyond 2002, because the format of Mercosur and Merconorte does not help with the calculations.

You know, now that I think about it, yes, having league coefficients (and perhaps even team coefficients) may be useful.

3. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If there were coefficients there would be still the issue with the amounts of spots, i guess both Argentina and Brazil should get 1 spot less each.

4. The_Expert

The_Expert New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    It has nothing to do with making it look like something else.

That is the problem of third-world countries: they are so "proud" that they are willing to stay poor instead of admitting that their "way" of doing things is mediocre.

This has to do with taking the good qualities you see in others, mixing it up with the good qualities we have, and making the product better.

Coefficients would not only decide and give slots more transparently, but it would also be an extra-motivational tool for football leagues to create a better system of football (crappy results, less slots. simple as that).

5. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I thought that supposing that only South American sides played the Libertadores using a ranking/coefficients or whatever would help to share equally the spots, like leagues ranked 1-4 get 3 group berths and 1 qualifying round berth, each and so leagues ranked 6-10 get 2 group berths and 2 qualifying round berths each, meaning that leagues ranked 1-4 would get a minimum of 3 teams on the Groups Stage and a maximium of 4, while leagues ranked 6-10 get a minimum of 2 but also have the possibility to get 4.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coefficient in libertadores (updated to results of the pre-group elimination).

Brazil.........84.684
    Argentina...60.016
    Mexico.......49.6
    Chile..........49
    Uruguay.....45.333
    Colombia....44.833
    Paraguay...39.167
    Peru..........36.167
    Ecuador.....36
    Venezuela..27.499
    Bolivia.......20.999

I only used the results for Libertadores in the past 5 years (2007-2011), I used wikipedia, so some numbers could not be correct. Also I do not know what to do for the year were Mexico did not finish the libertadores. So their score can be under reported because they had 5 teams in 2010 but 2 did not get any bonus points for the group play.

Win in pre-group 1 point
    Draw in pre-group .5

Making it to the group 4 points
    One extra point for each round a team advances

Wins on and after the group is 2 points
    Draw is 1 point

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...3YzBzZk85Zzh5U0E&hl=en&authkey=CMmuzYgC#gid=0

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coefficient in libertadores (updated to results of the group stage).

Brazil.........92.35
    Argentina...66.016
    Mexico.......55.933
    Chile..........55
    Colombia....50.5
    Uruguay.....49.667
    Paraguay...45.834
    Ecuador.....40.667
    Peru..........38.833
    Venezuela..30.166
    Bolivia.......23.333

Colombia now ahead of Uruguay
    Ecuador now ahead of Peru

I only used the results for Libertadores in the past 5 years (2007-2011), I used wikipedia, so some numbers could not be correct. Also I do not know what to do for the year were Mexico did not finish the libertadores. So their score can be under reported because they had 5 teams in 2010 but 2 did not get any bonus points for the group play.

Win in pre-group 1 point
    Draw in pre-group .5

Wins on and after the group are 2 points
    Draw is 1 point

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...3YzBzZk85Zzh5U0E&hl=en&authkey=CMmuzYgC#gid=0

8. southamerican1984

southamerican1984 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 10, 2005
    ceezmad Thank you for such information, I really appreciate it. I'm surprised of seeing Colombia in a better position than Ecuador. I mean, from 2007 to 2010, only one time a colombian team reach semifinals, on the other hand, liga de quito from Ecuador had good performances during such period of time.

But anyways,,, forgive my ignorace, i really don't understand such coefficients, if Colombia has a Coefficient of 50.5, that would mean how many berths for Colombia?

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would depend on what conmebol would want. I like the current system where 3 teams per country (5 for Bra and Arg)

But if Conmebol were to go the way of Europe (again I hope they don't)

it wound be more about gropings

For example they could set it this way.

Bolivia, Venezuela, Peru would get lets say 2 teams

Then Ecuador, Paraguay and Uruguay would get 3

Colombia, Chile and Mexico (if they continue to be in it) would get 4

Brazil and Argentina would continue to get 5,maybe Arg 5 and Brazil 6 since their league is far and above the rest.

Note: I guess they could use something like this in the case Mexico is not allowed to continue, then they could split Mexico's spots to Chile, Colombia and the pre-group to Uruguay.

10. BarraUru

BarraUru Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Argentina y Brasil 5 equipos
    Uruguay 4
    Paraguay, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador y Peru 3
    Bolivia y Venezuela 1

Los Mexicanos no tendrían qe jugar la Libertadores, no son de esta confederación y no estan a la altura de ningun club Sudamericano con historia, no tendrían ni merecen jugar en una copa tan importante como lo es la Libertadores..

11. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Asi es, no estan a la altura ni tienen la historia ni gloria ni las copas que tienen los clubes de Brasil, Argentina, Ururguay, Paraguay, Ecuador, Colombia y Chile que han ganado la Libertadores ;)

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coefficient in libertadores (updated to quarterfinals).

Brazil.........93.85
    Argentina...67.416
    Mexico.......57.266
    Chile..........56.667
    Colombia....52.166
    Uruguay.....51
    Paraguay...47.834
    Ecuador.....40.667
    Peru..........38.833
    Venezuela..30.166
    Bolivia.......23.333

Win in pre-group 1 point
    Draw in pre-group .5

Wins on and after the group are 2 points
    Draw is 1 point

2 from Paraguay
    1 Brazil
    1 Colombia
    1 Mexico
    1 Argentina
    1 Chile
    1 Uruguay

Are still alive and can get points for their federations.

13. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Surprised to see Chile so high. 2 Semis in a row cant hurt (assuming Catolica beat Penarol)

14. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Using a real criteria to allocate the spots isn't a bad idea even if Europe does it, the matter is that it doesn't neccesarily has to be exactly like theirs, true, it could be coefficient but it may also be average, the sum of points or another crietria. Now I think that having a groups stage of 32 teams and pretend to carry on with a second competition is excessive considering that there're few countries(even if you include Mexico), I think the groups stage should be reduced to 16 teams if they want to keep the Sudamericana. Now using the order from your table the spots would end like this:

-1st to 3rd(Brazil, Argentina and Chile): Each one gets 2 spots for the groups 1 for the qualifying round.
    -4th to 6th(Colombia, Uruguay and Paraguay): Each gets 1 spot for the groups and 1 for the qualifying round.
    -7th to 10th(Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela and Bolivia): Each gets 1 spot for the groups only.

So there would be 13 teams that qualify directly to the groups strage and other 6 on the qualifying round, from there you'd get the other 3 for to complete the 16.

15. mwjppgr

mwjppgr Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    En 1999 se pasaron el coeficiente y la historia de la Libertadores por el forro de las pelotas. La CONMEBOL decretó que Argentina y Brasil son los mercados más fuertes y que de ahí en más participarían con más clubes que el resto para regocijo de Leoz, Grondona, De Luca, Pelé, sus alcahuetes y las grandes cadenas de televisión.

Si ahora quieren empezar con el tema de los coeficientes deberíamos empezar todos de cero para barajar y dar de vuelta con el viejo sistema de 2 clubes por país.

Recién ahí se podría hacer justicia con los coeficientes.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Remember the score of a country is divided by the number of teams that country sends to the tournament.

If Argentina with 5 teams did not have any team make it out of the group stage, their score would suck.

If all 3 of Uruguay's teams were to make it to the quarters then they would get a very high score.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Whatever system they choose, the most important thing is that is clear and the rules are set...

I like the present number of clubs (38), but I would love to have more preliminary round matches..

champion directly to group phase
    1st ranked 5 teams (4 group, 1 preliminary)
    2nd 5 (4 group, 1 preliminary)
    3rd 4 (3 group, 1 preliminary)
    4th 4 (2 group, 2 preliminary)
    5th 3 (2 group, 1 preliminary)
    6th 3 (2 group, 1 preliminary)
    7th 3 (2 group, 1 preliminary)
    8th 3 (2 group, 1 preliminary)
    9th 3 (2 group, 1 preliminary)
    10th 2 (1 group, 1 preliminary)
    11th 2 (1 group, 1 preliminary)

That will leave the same number of teams in each round, but will make a little more rewarding being a better federation..

18. mwjppgr

mwjppgr Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Pero usted también recuerde que, por ejemplo, cuando juegan 2 equipos de un mismo país no pueden perder los dos.

Y que las chances de que esto ocurra aumentan con el correr de los años y la cantidad de equipos con la que uno participa.

Argentina desde el año 2000 tiene 4 cupos seguros + 1
    Brasil también, 4 cupos seguros + 1

El resto de los mortales tenemos 2 cupos seguros + 1

19. mwjppgr

mwjppgr Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Y pensar que hasta el año 1995 Peñarol y Nacional tenian ganadas más Copas Libertadores que todos los clubes brasileros juntos! Cierto es que entonces los equipos uruguayos no ganaban una desde 1988, pero Brasil también pasó sus sequías, y mucho peores.

Los clubes brasileros estuvieron 13 años sin ganar nada, de 1963 a 1976, y luego otros 10 años, de 1983 a 1993. Pero claro, un día esto le pasó a Uruguay y se decretó a Brasil y Argentina como amos absolutos del Universo CONMEBOL.

O mejor dicho, se auto-decretaron. Los tipos hacen lo que quieren con sus alcahuetes.

20. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    I say 2 teams per country and that's it

11 countries(counting Mexico) = 22 teams plus the last champion and the Sudamericana champion = 24 teams

6 groups of 4

first 2 of each group(12) plus the 4 best third place teams qualify to the next round = 16 teams

and then home and away games until the end like it is today

Simple

21. mwjppgr

mwjppgr Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Estoy de acuerdo.

Tal vez con la salvedad de que en 1ra fase preferiría que clasifiquen solo 2 por grupo y nada de mejores 3ros. Y luego exactamente como en el mundial de España 1982.

Algunos argumentan que no es viable definir semifinalistas con 4 grupos de 3 equipos porque se corre el riesgo de que en esos grupos se jueguen últimos partidos al pedo o con un equipo ya eliminado. Pero eso se resuelve haciendo jugar en el 2do choque al eventual perdedor del 1ro con el que todavía no jugó.

En definitiva:

6 groups of 4

first 2 of each group (12)

4 groups of 3

first of each group (4)

Semi-Finals

Final

Total: 14 (7x2) matches for to be champion

Simple

22. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Works for me

I was thinking about ending up with 16,8,4...
    but going from 12 to 4 in one step sounds even better

Sold!

Get that fat ass Leoz on the phone

23. mwjppgr

mwjppgr Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Vió que no es ninguna locura tampoco? Ni siquiera le haría perder dinero a la FOX. Prácticamente se jugarían la misma cantidad de partidos que ahora. :D

24. BarraUru

BarraUru Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Mexicans should not play Libertadores

25. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't forget that there were years in which not all the countries took part, for example Brazil missed it three years(If I recall correctly), one of them was 1970. If i recall correctly Argentina and Uruguay were the only ones that never missed it.

FOX should take hike, we shouldn't ask them their take on anything, because it isn't going to do us any good.