¿Azerbaijan federation banned from qualifiers?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Oscar, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    LINK

I don't really see this as a big setback for Wales if they would be banned, and the games/points against Azerbaijan removed, seeing as all contenders would probably defeat this team home and away (except for Yugoslavia that is, who already tied with them, I guess there's 1 team who would benefit from this)

Wales would lose 6 points
    Italy would lose 3 points
    Finland would lose 3 points
    Yugoslavia would lose 1 point

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    The real loser in the scenario is Italy because they drew at home with Yugoslavia, a result which was sort of neutralized when Yugoslavia only managed to draw at home to Azerbaijan.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The real loser is wales we've already beaten them twice. The winner is serbia and montenegro, having drawn at home and still have to go to azerbaijan.
    It doesn't really bother me though as we can still win the group.

4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeh I think Wales is the biggest loser. They already got the 6 points. Although Azerbazian was struggling they took points off serbia and trust me the Italians were not looking forward to that away game in caucasias. I still think Wales will qualify but they have to feel a little robbed by this. Privately they had to be hoping that they would have enough points to make the trips to Serbia and Italy throwaways, now with those six points taken away they are probably going to need to get something in those matches.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    No, Italy were not looking forward to that trip to Azerbaijan. Especially considering they'd already MADE it last September and won AWAY 2-0. I still think Italy is the big loser in this scenario (which is not official as yet). They have already dropped 5 points to their two main rivals - including 2 at home to Yugoslavia. The win at Azerbaijan was the only feather in their cap because Yugoslavia could only draw at home with Azerbaijan. If both results are nullified, the pressure is on the Azzurri to WIN their next two matches (at Finland and at home to Wales) and hope they don't have to go to Serbia looking for a result in what would be their final match. If the Azerbaijan results hold, a draw away to Finland is not a terrible result, and Italy would have the luxury of their last match being at home to Azerbaijan.

6. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    I still think Italy are going to win this group.

Let's break it down and reply if you think I am wrong anywhere here.

So Italy travel to Finland while Wales travels to Yugoslavia. I can almost guarantee you that Italy will beat Finland again and I have a feeling that Wales will blow it big in Yugoslavia.

Then Wales next match is in Italy where I am almost positive that Italy will beat Wales at home and take over the group lead.

The big game will then by Italy travelling to Yugoslavia as this could be the fight for first place. If Wales lose both in Yugoslavia and Italy (which I think they will), they might not even finish second in the group if Italy and Yugoslavia win their other remaining games! I still think Italy will win the group!

7. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, if we continue with the assumption that Azerbaijan gets thrown out, then the table looks like

Wales 2 games played, 6 pts
    Italy 3 games played, 4 pts
    Yugo 2 games played, 4 pts

Anyway you look at it, it's a tight group. And I actually WANT Italy to win it, but that is also probably the reason I don't feel comfortable.

Italy has played one more game than the other two challengers, even discounting the Azerbaijan games. AND they would finish group play away to Yugoslavia, one month ahead of the critical final clash in Wales with Yugoslavia. If Italy does NOT take care of business (eg winning all of their remaining games, even the game in Yugoslavia), you could have the potentially awful situation of both of those teams just needing a point. Then Italy could do nothing but watch.

Even if Wales loses their next two matches, they still have Finland at home, and then finish with the aforementioned home Yugoslavia match.

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    There are many, many people out there at the moment that would dispute this.
    Finland have proved to be a tough nut to crack at times.
    Given that i would say that a "guaranteed" win for Italy is a bit of a stretch.

A loss would really give the Welsh a boost.
    Even a draw.

9. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The ban against Azerbaijan has been lifted, oh joy!

LINK

Their return-from-banishment game will be on the 11th of June against Yugoslavia

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Great news. For everybody except Yugoslavia, that is.