£55million deal with Nike

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by daniel19, Aug 8, 2003.

1. daniel19

daniel19 New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    London
    We have signed this deal with nike for 7 years to be our kit sponsor. It sounds like a good deal to me and will probably go towards the stadium. What does anyone else think about the deal?

2. PissOffThen

PissOffThen New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Greeley, CO
    Who is "we"?

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, Nike is the biggest and best!

Nike obviously thinks that Arsenal is one the elite clubs in the world or they wouldn't have signed such a contract.

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Adidas signed 80million dollars with Benfica,

5. PissOffThen

PissOffThen New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Greeley, CO
    "daniel19", are you part of the Arsenal organization? I am confused with the word "we" when speaking about a big Nike contract. You see...when "we" is used it is implied that YOU also signed the contract. I don't believe you have. I believe you eat apples and fish.

If only Nike could actually put some WORK into Arsenal's media image. Here is a listing of what is important at Nike:

1. LaBron James
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. ManUre
    4. Apples & Fish
    5. Making a pong on the Nike Portland campus.
    6. The rest of the NBA
    7. NHL
    8. US National Team (W)
    9. US National Team (M)
    10. Arsenal

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh relax. Tons of people say "we" when talking about their favorite sports team. Although I've never heard it used in a contract signing, but that's besides the point.

Though Daniel19, you can learn something from PissOffThen. You (and probably 99% of us) are violating rule #7 in The Sports Guy's 'Rules For Being A True Fan'.
    7. Be very careful when using the word "We" with your favorite team. Use it judiciously. Just remember, you don't wear a uniform, you don't play any minutes, and you're not on the team. And yes, this was an extremely tough line for me to straddle during the Patriots' Super Bowl run.
    For a full list of all 20 rules: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/020227.html

7. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON

8. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Get over yourself.

9. PissOffThen

PissOffThen New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Greeley, CO

Because you sound like a jerk when you say "we" like this. You are not Arsenal. You are a fan like me.

10. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Without the fans there is no Arsenal, that's why it's "we". If you can't get that then you should do as your username suggests.

11. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    hey bud.. relax ffs! i always use "we" when referring to the arsenal.. so piss off buggar~~

12. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Michaec

You are absolutely right. Last time I checked the players would be working regular jobs if the fans of that club didn't pay their salaries. And the names have usually CLUB in it. A Club is group of like minded people. What's wrong with we? It boosts spirit and brings supporters closer together from around the world with teams that are not down the street.

Cheers.

13. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    Well Pissoffthen "We" are Arsenal. When Arsenal win we say "we won"

We are one family!

14. PissOffThen

PissOffThen New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Greeley, CO
    Arsenal (They)
    Fans (we)

15. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Oh, please tell me we're not getting into the "fans vs. supporters" debate again!

I also use the word "we" a lot, particularly when espousing the following phrases:

"We won the FA Cup."
    "We need a centre-back."
    "We need another round over here."

Wait...that last one's not really Arsenal-related...

16. PissOffThen

PissOffThen New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Greeley, CO
    I'm down with the "round".

17. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    I'm not sure why you're here if you feel like this. I'm part of The Arsenal just as they are part of me. Together with my family they provide the one constant thread running through my life.

You have obviously missed the point of supporting a football team, managers, directors and players can come and go. The fans are constant. It's in my blood!

That's why we say "we are the champions" or "we are ************". We share in their fortunes, we suffer their pain and we delight in their victories. Their defeats are our defeats.

I know in the USA franchises can just up and run to another city is they so desire. Football clubs rarely do this, they are set in the local communities often for over 100 years.

I am a fan - but definitely not like you!

18. Snuffles

Snuffles New Member

May 27, 2003
    UK
  19. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Very well said. I agree 100%.

20. daniel19

daniel19 New Member

Jul 30, 2003
    London
    Thanks everyone. I didn't think using the word "we" would cause so much controversy!

21. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    WE, are the Arsenal, WE are the best, WE are the Arsenal so **** all the rest.

Back on topic the deal is worth £130 million over 10 years, a lump sum of £55 million to be paid in july 2006, when the new stadium opens, and on that subject work re commences in september on the stadium.

22. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I'm glad they got this new deal signed, but I can't help but think that Arsenal are still setting themselves up to be second-fiddle on the Nike food chain.

Arsenal's deal: 13 million pounds/season

manUre's deal: 23.3 million pounds/season

I know that addidas wouldn't have Arsenal as their #1 , either, so I guess this is probably the best deal they could get.

Still doesn't mean I have to like it....

23. PissOffThen

PissOffThen New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Greeley, CO
    I must say, despite you being a complete jerk to me, you have got me thinking about this. Perhaps I was foolish to say this. Being an American surrounded by the NFL,NBA,MLB, and the NHL I have become jaded. Teams moving around and what not. It's really hard on the fan.

We are Arsenal.

24. Randy

Randy New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Houston
    Is the Microsoft connection linked with the Pay Per View web cast and TV revenues?

25. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet

Arsenal club, and all family members, players and fans....and myself.