"£500m buys you two poxy cups, and that's a successful season??" - NSROT [11 - R]

Discussion in 'Equipment and Gear Off Topic' started by Skizz, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was mad a missed the game and rolled my ankle at practice

2. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Was nuts man...I'm not a big hockey fan but I'll watch it if it's on. Same as gridiron and NBA really.

3. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan Pablo Angel I really like the guy :eek:!!

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    becks is a fool for joing the joke league really

he def couldve been a part of 08 but hes ruined it

if we rely on him now, we wont have a right winger with experience for the tourny

5. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh Becks won't do so well he's going to get a lot of players pushing him physically especially when he has to defend...The thing with Becks is he's going to a team that really does not have any skill to really play a proper style so Becks will probably enjoy watching some other team at home win the League ;)

6. Skizz

Skizz Guest

That first sentence is a load of bullcrap. He's played for Manchester United and Real Madrid, I doubt ANY player in the MLS will push him up to the level he had to play for them. He will be fine.

Plus, Real said they wished they had held onto him now and they regret the fact he is leaving as he still has so much to contribute. Even Capello has changed his mind about him, so he still has the ability and physical fitness to compete in any league he wants - AC Milan bid for him, that says something!

7. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Physically Becks is not that strong or fit of a player if you look at that game in the WC against Portugal...I think you've not seen much of the league here but a lot of the players are quite strong....

8. qiansong99

qiansong99 Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone watch the NBA? Cannot wait for the finals tonight! Sky's coverge has been shit this year, showing the western final but not east, and five showing an incredible 1 out of 6 matches from the east.

9. kumazou

kumazou Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Beckham is used to being a target and attracting physical play. I'm sure his move to Madrid was much more difficult than the move to the US is going to be. He had to cut his hair after a short time in Spain because so many people were pulling it. Cheap and childish, yes, but it shows the level they were willing to stoop to to get in his head.

I forget where I read this but someone was saying that it is pretty much McClown's fault if Becks misses Euro08. Had Beckham not thought his international career was over, he might not have signed with the Galaxy. Personally, I dont think its too bad for him to be playing in the US and with England. Sure, he'll be a little out of shape for the fall/winter qualifiers since the MLS season is out of sync, but he'll also be in mid season form when the tourny comes around. Everyone else will be tired after a long season, but Becks will be nice and fresh. I just hope he can adjust to the pace of international football after a few months in MLS.

10. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Becks will do fine

I cant wait to see him play

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol at saying mls will be a challenge for him

angel is scoring loads there, i still think the level of play in the championship is better

untill america widely accepts 'soccer' as the great sport it is, it will continue to only attract past it players

12. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the level of play is crap but what I'm saying is the players are quite strong and Becks will get roughed up trust me..

13. Skizz

Skizz Guest

The Premiership is the most physical league in the world and he played there for a good 10 years. He will be fine.

14. vanity_soccer13

Apr 14, 2004
    I think all he's saying is that there are a lot of reckless challenges due to the fact that the league is full of young players who haven't necessarily matured yet.

regardless, too much talk about some old gee past his prime :rolleyes:

15. Skizz

Skizz Guest

He can still do a job though. If he was totally crap going to the MLS then I'd shut up, but I know he's got at least 1 more year at a top level in him, which is why Galaxy should be f*cking grateful that he's giving up one year challenging for the really big prizes to go there. He will be good for them.

16. kaitster

kaitster New Member

Nov 2, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If Becks was such crap, he would not have been called back to the national team. End of story.

17. vanity_soccer13

Apr 14, 2004
    I know. I threw in that last bit to tease.

I think he has a few more good years left in him, barring any injuries.

18. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I dont think he will go back on his word for signing for Galaxy. After all the hype it has caused it will give Beckham a lot of bad press, and we all know he doesnt like that, plus look how much Galaxy are meant to be paying him.

I just think that Becks made the decision to go and play in the states when he was feeling low in confidence. He wasnt getting games for Real and he was out of the England team. I think he just wanted to go somewhere that he could be the 'hero' again, he was never really that at Real Madrid because the team were full of superstars.

I bet that he is regretting it a little bit now though, especially if Real win the league with everyone saying that Beckham has been the main driving force behind the Real Madrid team this season.

But Beckham can say all he wants about wanting to promote soccer in the states. We all know that he more than likely signed for galaxy to :

a) be centre of attention again like he was at United and used to be for England

b) $$$$

I know he will do a lot for the profile of soccer in America. But I also think that he could have at least one more season in top flight football before he goes state side.

And Devil, we all know you don't like Becks, but he has to be one of the best players fitness wise. Yes, he doesnt have a lot of pace. But he will run and run. And thats where midfield players can go on and play until late 30s because of fitness levels. I think it was Glenn Hoddle who said look at Alan Ball, he was playing until he was 38 because he didnt have to rely on pace.

Becks does go down easily. But you have to remember that he is a player who likes to take free kicks. So he works to get them, and if by going down easy gets them, thats what he will do.

appleCORR

19. Its Swanny

Its Swanny New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Midwest, USA
    Honda Civic Tour show tonight...Fall Out Boy, The Academy Is..., (+44), Cobra Starship and Paul Wall.

Nothing beats free tickets + VIP parking.

:rolleyes:

20. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a big Honda Civic get together of everyone in the states :eek:

21. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    Yo, why do u people still insist Becks has no pace? Is this the same illusion that makes people say Owen HAS pace! Becks is no sprinter, but he got enough speed that he wouldn't be found out against anyone that wouldn't pull the pants down of any other player!

Oh drawing attention to a short lived thread of span on here, don't u just luv when u see a new thread has been started, with a pointless sounding title, and only one reply, that being from bigg! I love the anticipation as I wait to open the bitch slapping!!!

22. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I live to give. :)

23. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think he's worth those $250million dollars he could be making...Especially with what some players are making in the league its not funny...The way LA is playing Becks might get em a couple of goals but they will not get that much better...There are so many teams that all around can trash LA and I'll be watching one of those games up front in personal 8 rows from the pitch.

24. Skizz

Skizz Guest

He isn't worth the money. The attention, and shirt sales, and bums on seats in the stadium when he starts playing will be.

25. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bums in the seats is cool but in NY we need more real fans thats the one thing we've lacked :( I hope we can show some of the unconvinced people that NY is the real deal and I hope we dismantle LA. Shirt sales I could care less I just want to prove he's not the savior of MLS nor is he going to tear this league up as Steven Cohen *cough* thinks he will.