£130K a week - Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Powdered Water, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    them's the figures ...

2. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :rolleyes:

It's not.

A cursory Google glance (and really, it's not hard to inform yourself before posting an opinion here) for the latest available Financial Reports show that in FY 2005/06 you chose to book a capital investment maturity on your balance sheet against the hotel, turning the balance sheet south for that single accounting period. In the previous period of 2004/05, it made a profit of £82,000 and since the liability was booked and absorbed, turnover has grown 11.8% and stands at £8.6m

So it's not losing you any money. You have simply again been caught talking total gobshite about something you have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not unilaterally. Basic law of economics: money, like water, flows around obstacles. If the EPL decides to implement a salary cap, the money flows into other leagues - as do the players that follow it.

Again, don't be drawn into basing ideas for the entirely open European sports market on what works on the entirely closed American sports market.

4. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Oh well, an 82 grand profit. At this rate, we'll have paid the hotel off by about, the next century. Then we'll be able to use those vast hotel profits to pay two players' wages for a week...

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Look, you can keep bowling underarm at me all day if you want, it's you that ends up looking like a total spazz. Personally, I wouldn't debase myself like that, but then personally, I'll never be in your abject position. Say something - be proven to know nothing - say something else - be proven to know nothing - say something else - be proven to know nothing ... an endless cycle of related incidents, each of which builds the profile of you as the most clueless human being on the planet.

So, on we plunge ...

"Paying off" the hotel doesn't rely on profit, dipshit. It relies on turnover. Profit is what you get after you've "paid off" any annualised liabilities such as, for instance, a capital investement in a hotel complex.

See? You should have chosen to clatter off the dumbfuck parade after your last post. A simple "What a silly ass I am, I thought the hotel lost money, but it doesn't, I was wrong again, perhaps next time I will choose my topics more carefully" would have done it.

But apparently, you can't.

Tell me, is this almost ritualised process we have going here your primary form of human contact?

6. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Even if that profit was after paying off the loans on the hotel, it's not bringing in any money to make it worthwhile, and once the revenue dips we're up shit creek.

7. elbecko

elbecko New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    queensland
    i think its obscene to be honest and its a shame that its come to this.
    some people say, 'but a footballers life is so short.'
    so what, they chose the career they wanted, stop moaning.

or they say, 'you'd take the money if you were offered it.'

i'd like to think that i wouldn't take the whole amount, if i did i'm sure i'd be supporting some charities in a big way.

no one is worth that amount of money.
    that people get that coz they are playing a sport is ridiculous and should be embarrassing to the players.

yes they should get good pay, but in the end a person only needs so much to live.

they are lucky that they get paid for doing something that they love, i think a majority of folk don't have that luxury.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    basically u could still live an amazing life giving away 100k of the 130 a week

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, let's start by acknowledging that you accept you didn't have the faintest idea what you were talking about when you started prattling on about a hotel that was empty all the time and losing you loads of money. Good. A start.

Then - IF the revenue dips, you MAY find yourself having to reassess priorities. That's the same for any part of the business. In the meantime, available figures show very strong growth in revenue and a profit-making financial situation. So really, you're just continuing to munter on about it because you can't entirely abandon the point you were trying to make. Which was wrong. As we've now both established.

You're not an England bowling coach, are you?

10. canadianscraggledog

canadianscraggledog New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    London, Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    You're absolutely right on there. I didn't mention this but I fully agree. That's why I am not completely sold on the cap either. Makes sense as N.A. leagues are closed systems with no other competition.

11. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    ********ing hell, these scousers have massive chips on their shoulders.

If this hotel business is such a good idea, why don't you build one off some abandoned motorway junction? Must be worth investing millions to make 80k a year from David Brent's motivational seminars.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Now now, don't get all upset. I merely confirmed the fact that you are a clueless saddo. Your inadequacies must be crushing, I get that. Anyone who's seen you attempting to continue a discussion on here gets that. But try not to let it spill over into public displays of frustration, there's a good chap. Terribly unseemly.

As to the hotel thing, let it go. You were wrong, move on. You're always wrong, why get upset about this one time?

13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    most businesses only make a small % profit.

If you spend £1 million on a hotel, and make £80k profit, that doesn't mean you are £920,000 down. It means you have a business and assets worth (keeping things simple) £1 million + £80k.

i.e. you are making a straight 8% on your investment, and that's assuming the property value of your hotel doesn't rise above the inflation rate.

14. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Part of a stadium's not really something you can sell though is it?

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you can sell the business. Being attached to a football ground isn't that much of a problem any more than being next to any other building is.