¡Hala Juve! - The 2018-2019 Other Players (and Teams) thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, Jul 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    THE THREE YEAR CYCLE OF JOSE MOURINHO

Year 1 - Mourinho is happy to be at his new club. He's funny and engaging, wins over the players and supporters, achieves results even if he bores with negative futbol. Overall, he's likable in his first season.

Year 2 - The futbol becomes increasingly negative and he becomes a lot more rude and obnoxious. Defeats are never his or his players' fault, referee's are harassed, he accuses everyone including the media of being against him and his team. It's "Us against the World".

Year 3 - Being increasingly called out by the media and having run out of excuses, "Mou" will turn on figures within the club, mainly senior players and upper management, usually leading to his demise as he creates divisions within the squad and pisses off management by generally being a whiny, petty little b!tch. The football of his teams turn from ugly to downright nasty as he encourages player to player rivalry, nasty challenges, diving and cheating to victory in any way possible.

At the end of Year 3 or well into Year 4 Mourinho will end up leaving the club, hated by many of his own players, his opponents, board members and sometimes even club supporters.
    He will then disappear for a few months before popping up at another club to begin the cycle again.

Wash and rinse.

Danko and BocaFan repped this.
  2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The difference here is going to be the expectations ... which is top 4 and not a title. If he can sneak in a domestic Cup, Spurs would be ecstatic. It's weird because he going into a situation where he knows the owner won't be spending money. A very strange move. Popcorn ready.

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm shocked by the move because it's come during mid-season. After he was axed by Chelsea the first time (2007) he said that he would never take a job in the middle of the season. He preferred joining a new club in the summer so that he can be with the players from the start of the season. Yesterday I saw he was favored for the Spurs job and I immediately brushed it off. But I'm totally shocked today.

As for Pochettino, anyone think Man Utd might go for him?

TitoTata repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    TBF, he's getting better at this and can now run through that cycle in 2.1 years

unclesox repped this.
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am sure there is a reason for it. Maybe Mou has other offers and Levy doesn't want to risk waiting. Also Spurs are in 14th in EPL table right now. Although, if you look at it carefully, there is 3 points separating 5th and 15th. That's pretty nutty. 3 wins in a row and Mourinho already looks good in the beginning :ROFLMAO:

I am also pretty sure it's a mutual decision. Pochettino isn't really fired, he wants to go as well.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They also picked up only 11 points from their last 12 Premier League matches last season. So that 25 points in their last 24 matches. Throw-in early exits in the FA and Caribou Cups, and run-off the pitch against City, Ajax and Bayern in CL (despite somehow winning some of those matches). Dreadful in CL final too.

They've stunk for quite a while.

7. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    It makes sense for Spurs to hire someone and why not Mourinho? They are 14th in the league with a bunch of disgruntled players and still on pace to qualify for KO of the CL. This is a perfect time to shake things up and Mou is a shaker by definition. This actually could work out for them because expectations aren't that high and the roster is pretty talented.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It could work-out for Mou because 5th place is very achievable. And you know Mou will mention "I dragged the team from 14th to 5th" about a zillion times, give or take. People who are capable of thinking a bit will of course see that 5th wouldn't be much of an accomplishment at all, unless they put some distance between themselves and 6th place.

Not sure it makes sense for Spurs though because we know how this will end (see above): The club and squad will be worse when Mou leaves in 3 years than they are now, that's pretty much a guarantee.

Anyway, they play both Man United and Chelsea in the next 5 weeks. #popcorn

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That could be a master stroke !!

10. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mou is a guaranteed winner and ambitious despite the unattractive style of play. That’s exactly what Spurs needed. Perhaps, the man reinvented himself and will get back being that fabulous manager he once was.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Sarcasm, or you stopped following fútbol in 2010?

12. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not really. He can win then some trophies which they’ve lacked. They haven’t won a damn FA Cup, which Mou probably should able to. Not sure about PL, but who knows. Also, read the third sentence.

13. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Anyways PL is gonna be very interesting again. Literally waiting for Chelsea vs Spurs derby lol considering he’s going up against his former protege.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sneijder says if he was more dedicated he'd be on Messi and Ronaldo's level. :laugh:

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    PL was already interesting. Mou vs ManU, ManCity also interesting stories. Arsenal ... not so much anymore even if that's their derby.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He has won a title in every club he has been though. Including ManU.

17. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    fixed.
    let messi alone here:sneaky:

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True, but he did take -over a pretty talented side at United. They were supposed to be title contenders in 2016-17. Ironically, by having such a disappointing stint at Old Trafford, people forget that. They think finishing 25+ points behind in the league is normal for Man United.

I think even in this thread someone said he's taking over a better team at Spurs with lower expectations. That's only half correct. Better team than the one he left at Old Trafford, maybe.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    81 pts in that season is not a shabby total. Much better than what his predecessors were doing. Finishing that far off Man City looks bad, but it's also Man City that reached 100 pts.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

That was his second season there. I guess that's solid. We can probably say that they achieved expectations that season. But only just. Nothing to write home about.

21. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And he’s saying this after retirement lol. What a clown

22. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    I'd be on their level too, if I was on their level.
    :D

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He’s only a guaranteed winner when he’s given hundreds of millions .. that ain’t gonna happen with Daniel Levy ...

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    To be honest, the only time he left in bad terms with players was Madrid and ManU.
    - Porto he left well.
    - Chelsea first time he didn't have many enemies even with the eggs comment. Was more a clash with Roman.
    - Inter he left very well.
    - Madrid we know what happened.
    - Chelsea 2nd time around the only thing that created an issue was the Eva Carneiro incident. Otherwise I think they were fine with him.
    - And ManU ... well, he is not wrong Pogba and the rest of those players.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I suspect something pretty big had to be off. They had arguably the best squad in the Premier League and were in 14th place or something at Christmas.