Update: USA to play on November 17th

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Aug 29, 2002.

1. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11/17/02: USA v. Austrailia in Phoenix, AZ

From the ESPN schedule

11-17-2002 03:00 pm 05:00 pm 2002 USA SOCCER MEN'S
    AUSTRALIA VS. USA at PHOENIX, AZ USA
    Description : USA SOCCER

1PM local kickoff.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Whoo-hoo... F*****k you NJSEA.

Sachin

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Freddy Adu ain't playing, I ain't watching. I think everybody agrees that Bruce needs to stop dragging his feet and cap Freddy now!!!!!

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Pheonix???

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No, Phoenix. Altogether different city.

Sachin

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What stadium would they use? They have a baseball park and Sun Devil Stadium, yes? I remember watching some Mexican exhibition game in Phoenix on tv recently - I'm pretty sure it was in the baseball park and the field was probably the narrowest I've ever seen. The sidelines were so close to the penalty box that throw-in's were really dangerous scoring opportunities. I haven't watched a game from Sun Devil Stadium in a while, but is that field wide enough?

7. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Awesome- GPK do you have a link. I wonder where they will play - at the BOB? Any idea if this date is one of those FIFA friendly windows - euro players may be called in?

8. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA has fixed 11/19 or 11/20 as a date to play friendly matches. No competitive matches will be played that week, IIRC.

There is a full schedule of EPL matches on 11/16 - 11/17 and 11/23 - 11/24 (the Bundesliga is playing as well). My guess would be only those that aren't getting regular time could/would be called in. I'm not saying somebody like O'Brien won't be, but he most likely will not get a call.

This match will probably be used for MLS based US Nats and those in Europe not getting significant playing time (if they are still in Arena's plans - read: Lewis).

I wouldn't suspect the Australian Manager calling in Viduka or Kewell as well. Both have a match that weekend and the next.

The U.S. has played twice at Sun Devil Stadium; in 1993 (13,215 in attendance) and in 1994 (15,386). With the increase in popularity of the USNT since then, I would guess they can draw 20-25K for this game. If it were a more marketable opponent (or a "full" Australian side), it could probably get 30K.

I think the game will be played at the BOB, with similar field dimensions as Saefco Field in Seattle.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    so they are taking my suggestion and doing college campus tours?

sweet

get those players breeding, we need players for 2026

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 11/17/02: USA v. Austrailia in Phoenix, AZ

Awesome. I checked this morning and got nothing past September.

11. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Schweet!!! I went to a USWNT v Japan match at the BOB back in December 2000 and it was pretty cool albeit quiet (typical USWNT fans are that way :rolleyes: ). IIRC --- the opposite side of the field did not have any bleacer set ups. For the USWNT match there was seating behind both goals and behind the benches.

But I could be wrong.

12. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I am afraid the huge Australian population in Arizona is going to drown out Sam's Army. I can see it now - a bunch of beach-going Crocodile Dundee wannabe's causing a riot in the streets of Tempe.

Maybe I'll buy an Outback just to blend in.

13. Big Phil

Big Phil New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Manassas,VA
    freddy adu

i have seen freddy play.he has a bright future with the us national team in the future.he is to young and does not have the experience just yet.twellman should be playing with the team in phoenix.the aussie's would be a good start for twellman he is a world class goal scorer.

14. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    where did you get that info? i just checked sport wizard and didn't get any matches after september.

15. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this post!!!!

16. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    there is no mention of this Friendly on ussoccer.com nor sams army site. Until this is confirmed by either of those 2, I wouldnt get my hopes up too much for this match...besides it would be an MLS Nats vs Australia "B" ...Kewell, Viduka, Okon and company will not be taking part in this match

17. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the link at home, so I can't access it here.

This is exactly how we started in 98' for Bruce's first match. I would expect that there will be an extended training camp for younger MLS US players.

The ESPN schedule has been right on in the past...perhaps our friends at the Soccer House saw this thread and asked ESPN to remove the info.

When I did my query I put 12-31-02 as the end date.

18. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hope it's true that it is in Phoenix. I'd love to drive down and watch the game. My guess is that it would be held at the Bank One Ballpark (BOB) because the AZ Cardinals use Sun Devil stadium.

19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering if the baseball strike is settled within a week or two, and the season is resumed from where the stoppage started, wouldn't it be possible for the Arizona baseball team to be playing on that date?

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Baseball will be over by then.

Unless they foolishly decide to play the entire remaining schedule after a work stoppage.

Sachin

21. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm pretty sure that even if the strike was resolved that they would just play the remaining schedule or maybe go right into the playoffs depending on when it would be resolved. Either way, I'm pretty sure baseball won't be going into late November and probably not November at all.

22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Are there really a lot of Aussies in Phoenix? Or would they be there because of summer vacation?

23. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    That would be great if this is legit. There is crap for soccer here in Phoenix. There's a semi pro team whose level of play isn't a whole lot higher than some of the teams in our men's league, but that's about it. The indoor teams have folded and MLS is only on once a week (I have cable not Dish). I'll buy 10 tix.

24. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Whether they play at Sun Devil or the BOB, I just hope that the field is in good enough condition and wide enough to ensure a meaningful match.

110 x 75 or die!

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From this end of the world...

Just spoke to a press officer at Soccer Australia, and he said he could neither confirm nor deny that the friendly between the USA and the Socceroos is taking place at that time and city, but he'd endeavor to get back to me on that. I should know for certain by the end of the day.

Now as far as what kind of a team Socceroos coach Frank Farina might bring to Arizona or wherever, after the team's Oceania Nations Cup debacle in New Zealand, he was quite adamant about bringing in the best side possible for every match that they would be playing in...

(I just looked for an old link about just that on The Age's soccer section, of that Melbourne-based daily, but that has long since been taken down.)

So it might be possible that we could see any of a variety of European-based players recalled to provide the opposition. Watch this space...

Cheers,
    William