Keep United in DC March MAY 9!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Debug123, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Debug123

Debug123 New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Would anyone be interested in marching to the stadium from Lincoln Park before the Fc Dallas game? If we could get 5 thousand dc fans (hopefully more) to march in support of keeping United in DC (area) that can catch some tv time that would be great. We are caught in the middle of the DC owners and our local governments and are the ones who will suffer most if united leaves. We want to send out the message that we don't want a FREE STADIUM, but we also do not want to lose our team. We united fans want to pay for it through ticket sales, parking, etc. Again its important for us to show that although we are United fans we are not against the dc government and we do not want the city of DC to pay for the entire stadium. We are marching so that an agreement can be reached by the dc government and our owners.

I have never been to Lincoln park but based on google maps its located on East capitol st which leads you directly the front entrance of RFK. If we can somehow gather around 4:30 and march into the stadium around 6pm that would be great. Yes you would miss a couple of hours of drinking, but if we don't do anything we might be without UNITED forever. We need to bring ALL of our banners, flags, drums, bombo. etc. I am sure we could park in our regular dc lots and walk over to Lincoln Park and gather there.

Remember we are not

Pro-Stadium Anti-Government

We are Pro-keeping United in the dc (area)

To Barra, Eagles, La norte leaders please help with this March, if you have other ideas or have a march already planned. thats fine, but we need to do something to keep United in the DC (area)

75 people marching (like in annapolis) will not make a difference, we need thousands marching. If we are going down we need to go down fighting. Vamos UNITED

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Keep United in DC March MAY 2?

I like it. Let me run it by the other Barra elders...

I linked it on the Barra forum too.

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

I'm seeing what the other La Norte DCpUlos think about it. Does anyone know about getting a demonstration permit? It may make things easier.

4. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Riz does this for a living - shoot her a PM if you want help.

I think it's a great idea and we could certainly get more people on a weekend in DC than a Tuesday in Annapolis.

I agree that we simply cant let this go down without a fight.

5. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you willing to get the proper permits? If you're going to tie up traffic on East Capitol St, (a major artery out of town at rush hr) you better have a permit or people could get arrested. Permit info is here, the application form is here.

If you decide to just wing it without one you really need to let people know that upfront so there are no surprises.

Ah, I see you mean May 2 and not 4/22 (you still need a permit).

K

6. rockusDCU

rockusDCU New Member

May 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, we just can't do a Tuesday, and this is not on my cheap a$$ half season plan, but we can buy tickets for this game. We will be there!

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

*subscribed*

I think I could do it. Not an expert in organizing these things, but we could use help there.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Does it have to be a District resident that gets the permits? And do we want to get the team involved? At the very least we could get them to open the parking lots early so people could amass and park and walk to the park.

9. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli

Getting the team involved would probably be a the best way to reach the non-BS.com/supporters' group fans. They could pass the word through their channels...

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Also
    Means we have until the 17th to get a permit in if we wanted to do this on the 2nd of May, yes?

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

I like it if it's fan-conceived and set up. Maybe we can get the team to let people know about it after we've set it up to get more people to go.

We could also use social networking sites, email lists, etc. Or hand out brochures or have signs the match before.

12. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Done. The teams been notified and they will monitor this thread. You guys keep the suggestions rolling....

13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I would suggest doing it earlier in the day, say, 230, that way people dont even have to choose between tailgating and marching. Have the March start at 2:30 or 3, ask the team to open the lots a bit early so people can park beforehand, bingo.

14. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Has someone leaked this to Goff yet? :D

Definitely agree with the earlier start. While I don't care for the booze, I'd like to get food before I go into the stadium.

15. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

No, anyone can get a permit and it is a relatively quick process. Basically, it's just a heads up for the local cops to know what is up - esp if traffic is going to be stopped. I've done it before, and would be happy to assist if you'd like.

We also need to get a media advisory out to all the local TV affiliates ASAP so that the likelihood of coverage is at a maximum. If the team is checking out this thread - then I would hope they'd sic their Communications dept. on this.

Otherwise, we have a pretty solid base of folks here that can spread the word quickly via BS, Facebook, Twitter and email.

16. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Whoever has that Mayor Fenty two pole banner with the quote promising a stadium...this would be a good time for that...

17. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What else is going on in DC that day? If the point is to get a media hit you don't want to be competing with some other big event at the same time (the DC Convention Bureau website is one place to look, DC.gov also has a city calendar).

K

18. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Tim did that (Mighty! on BS)

K

19. iammrben

iammrben Member

Jul 27, 2007
    DC (Petworth)
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I'm on board with this. I don't know anything about getting permits, etc. but I can add a few cubit feet of flesh to the march.

20. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great idea. It would be cool to make a whole bunch of two-pole banners with our messages on them, and of course DC City flags.

21. rockusDCU

rockusDCU New Member

May 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This may or may not be trivial, but would we do better on the following weekend when we play TFC? It seems like a game that could draw more fans.

22. Debug123

Debug123 New Member

Oct 2, 2008

I am not to familiar with permits, but I will look into it, unless someone is more of an expert. Would we need still need one, if we did not block traffic? The early start would be good to, but we would have more people if we marched closer to the start of the game. Does anyone know how many minutes it takes to walk from Lincoln park to RFK? The MOST important thing about all this is pre-advertising, if this is going to work we need to tell every United fan, Lets strive for 5,000 strong.

23. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

We'll have the teams help on permits and advertising. All they have to do is send out a mass email to their base and thousands will be contacted.

24. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I concur with this, the closer to gametime, if managed properly,the more people you are going to get involved.

It might be a good idea to have flyers, posters, volunteers actually advertising it at the stadium in games prior to May 2nd, if possible.

And as far as checking events, we should also consider what events, youth soccer events, etc, are occuring in DC, VA, and MD, in that order.

Getting some info from the FO on expected tickets sales for games might also be a way of gauging which match might get the best turn out.

25. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Excellent idea! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++