ESPN Fan Zone does a soccer survey

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Mar 18, 2009.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    What is ESPN Fan Zone? Read their FAQ. It's basically a way for ESPN to do some online research on the behaviors of their fans.

I signed up a few years ago, and once a month or so they send out emails inviting you to participate in online surveys. Yesterday they sent me one on soccer for the first time in a couple years. It's very interesting to see type of questions that they were asking, as well to have the chance to express my opinion. If you get their emails, be sure to fill it out.

Here were the questions they asked:

1) I didn't copy the first question, so I'll explain it. It had a list of 10 sports/leagues, and asked on a 1-5 scale whether or not the ESPN coverage of each had improved or gotten worse. I can't remember if they phrased it in terms of quality or quantity, but both "MLS" and "international soccer" were among the options.

2) "How interested are you in the following professional soccer properties? Would you say you are...?"

Very interested, Somewhat interested, A little bit interested, Not at all interested

Latin American Soccer
    European Soccer
    World Cup Soccer
    Major League Soccer (MLS)

3) "In general, how would you describe the current state of each of these soccer properties? Please choose one spot on the following curve that best describes where each property is today."

It was a bell curve with 5 at the top, and the following words listed:

1-rookie
    2-
    3-rising star
    4-
    5-top of its game
    6-
    7-downside of career
    8-
    9-time to retire

Latin American Soccer
    European Soccer
    World Cup Soccer
    Major League Soccer (MLS)

4) "In the past 12 months, have you seen any soccer games aired on any of the ESPN networks?"

Yes
    No

5) "How well does each of the following words describe ESPN's coverage of soccer games? Please use a 10-point scale where 10 means "Describes perfectly," and 1 means "Does not describe at all.""

Entertaining
    Unique
    Boring
    Superficial
    High-tech
    Inferior
    Authentic
    Credible
    Innovative
    Exciting
    Predictable
    Top-quality
    Passionate
    Committed

6) "Did you watch any of the 2006 World Cup Soccer Tournament in Germany?"

Yes
    No

7) "On which TV network(s) did you watch any of the 2006 World Cup Soccer Tournament held in Germany?"

ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC
    Univision
    Both ESPN networks and Univision
    Don't remember

8) "Why did you choose to watch the 2006 World Cup on..."

you could type in your answer

9) "At which of the following places did you watch the 2006 World Cup Soccer Tournament? Please select all that apply."

At the home of a friend
    At home
    At an airport
    At a bar
    At the home of a family member
    Other (please specify)

10) "How likely are you to follow the upcoming 2010 World Cup Soccer Tournament hosted in South Africa?"

Definitely will follow
    Probably will follow
    Might or might not follow
    Probably will not follow
    Definitely will not follow

11) "Compared to the 2006 World Cup Soccer Tournament, would you say you are more interested in the 2010 tournament, less interested in the 2010 tournament, or is your interest in the 2010 tournament about the same?"

Much more interested
    Somewhat more interested
    About the same interest
    Somewhat less interested
    Much less interested

12) "Why did you say ...?"

Again, you could type in an answer.

13) "How likely are you to follow the World Cup Soccer Tournament if the U.S. team is not in the competition? Will you...?"

Definitely will follow
    Probably will follow
    Might or might not follow
    Probably will not follow
    Definitely will not follow

14) "Which of the following media are you likely to use to follow the 2010 World Cup Soccer Tournament? Please select all that apply."

Television
    Friends/family
    Magazines
    Radio
    Internet
    Mobile device
    Newspapers

15) "Thinking again about the 2010 World Cup Soccer games, if you had to pick only one language to watch the games in, what language would you prefer?"

In English
    In Spanish
    In another language (please specify):

16) "On which of the following TV network(s) are you likely to watch the 2010 World Cup Soccer Tournament?"

ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC
    Univision
    Both ESPN networks and Univision

17) "Now, please rate how important each of the following is in your overall decision to watch World Cup tournaments. Please use a 10-point scale where 10 means it is "Extremely important" and 1 means it is "Not at all important.""

Other sports events being shown at the same time
    The presence of a international team from a country my family is originally from
    The country that is hosting the event
    TV coverage of the tournament in high-definition (HD)
    The presence of the U.S. national team
    The hype surrounding the event
    Favorite players in the tournament
    The competitiveness of the games
    The time of day the matches are aired
    The language the game is broadcast in
    The networks covering the tournament
    The popularity of the countries competing

18) "How much do you agree or disagree with the following statements about World Cup Soccer tournaments? Please use a 10-point scale where 10 means you "Completely agree," and 1 means you "Do not agree at all.""

I only watch the World Cup if my friends or family are watching
    The World Cup is a “must see” event on my sports calendar
    For me, the World Cup is more of a social event than a sports event
    The World Cup would be more exciting if I knew more about the game of soccer
    I consider the World Cup to be a bigger event than the Olympics
    The World Cup is more exciting when it is broadcast in Spanish than in English
    Recognizing the international players makes the World Cup more enjoyable
    Having the World Cup in South Africa makes the event more meaningful
    I feel the World Cup is gaining popularity in the U.S.
    Recognizing the U.S. players makes the World Cup more enjoyable
    The World Cup features the best athletes in the world
    The World Cup is not as special as it used to be

19) "Which one of the following best describes your personal soccer participation?"

I currently play soccer on an organized team
    I currently play soccer casually
    I used to play soccer in the past
    I rarely or have never played soccer

20) "Do you or someone in your household currently own an HD or High-Definition television?"

Yes
    No

21) They then asked about my race, age, and sex. Finally, they asked if I had anything else to say about the World Cup broadcasts.

2. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Looks like a well constructed survey. I wonder what the results will be.

3. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More importantly it shows that ESPN is very interested in soccer, including MLS.

I've always said that people take the talking heads' comments on ESPN as the sentiment for the network, but its not.

4. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Looks to me like they're gauging interest in World Cup Soccer and what they can do to make people tune in to espn rather than univison to me. The vast majority of questions were all to do about World Cup Soccer, a very little about Soccer in general and just about zero for MLS. Which fits considering the crap Drew Carey had to deal with when he was on their network.