Easy way to contact MD lawmakers about the stadium (now with talking points)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU Digital Media, Mar 10, 2009.

1. DCU Digital Media

DCU Digital Media New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    All, if you haven't already contacted Maryland's lawmakers in support of a new stadium, we have a really easy new method:

https://secure.dcunited.com/stadium

It will send you message directly to the people that matter most with a single click.

Please help.

(Moderators: please move this as you see fit.)

2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: An easy way to contact MD lawmakers about the stadium effort

Here are a couple of sample messages. If you use them, please make a few variations of your own so it doesn't come across as a canned campaign:

And here are some writing points that have been advanced over a series of posts on the stadium thread, some more applicable to Maryland residents' arguments than to VA or DC:

• The Maryland Stadium Authority has never had to go to the taxpayer well to make up for revenue shortfalls
    • The stadium authority is successful and experienced in creating and scheduling events for properties under its umbrella, and will be scheduling non-soccer events to make use of the new stadium and its anticipated attached event/conference center.
    • PG County will have the economic benefit of being the corporate headquarters of DC United and visiting teams will be staying at National Harbor.
    • DC United's involvement in youth soccer will bring an additional sport and positive activity to the youth of the county.
    • Maryland has a AAA bond rating, so bonds offered in this economic climate will be attractive to investors who are terrified of stocks and who can get only minuscule returns on savings
    • The Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development now has a Sports and Entertainment Commission that has already snared the 2010 and 2011 NCAA College Lacrosse championships for Maryland and is looking to pull events from other mid-Atlantic states with Maryland's growing inventory of sports venues
    • This is the time to buy land and build. It's cheaper to do all of that in the current economy.
    • We need jobs and economic development.
    • The stadium fits into Maryland's and Metro's Transit Oriented Development effort.
    • Prince George's political and business leaders wisely recognize that economic downturns present great opportunities to build for the future and see the stadium as such an opportunity.
    • Maryland gains a world-class team and organization, thus continuing to build its image.
    • Maryland gains an organization that has proven its commitment to being part of the community.
    • DC United ownership has a strong track record of economic development, and bringing Victor MacFarlane and William Chang into the business community has the potential of investment dollars beyond those associated with the stadium.
    • PG County can use DC United's presence as further evidence that the county is continuing to grow and prosper.
    • The stadium will pull in revenue from outside the county
    • Sports fans of urban stadiums are famous for visiting local bars and restaurants before and after games, as are attendees of other arranged stadium events. Think Verizon Center here, not Fedex.
    • This outside revenue will also come from international soccer matches, thus bringing in travelers who will be staying and spending in the county. The number of DCU events will certainly be more than the MLS regular season games: US Open Cup, Playoffs, international competitions, friendlies, etc - And add other soccer games: probable Wash Freedom games, international friendlies (last year at RFK there were 3), US National team (Men's and Women's) friendlies and qualifying games, etc - Even without the Wash Freedom, thats about 25-30 events involving PROFESSIONAL soccer.
    • This is targeted, soccer specific revenue, not merely a shift of entertainment dollars from going to see a movie to seen a soccer game. Thus it's even new revenue from the PG County residents who are soccer fans. Currently they're spending it in DC at RFK. So it brings PG County money home.
    • This is not a parking-lot-isolated stadium similar to Fedex. It is planned as be part of a mixed use neighborhood with all of the attraction that has made the businesses around the Verizon Center thrive.

3. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I really hope people will do this. It takes only a few minutes and you can be SURE that the anti-stadium folk are writing in droves.

The team is sending around an email asking everyone, including non MD residents, to write through that link.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mine's in. I used seahawkdad's as a template since we live in the same area of the Commonwealth.

Remember when using a "template" to change some verbiage, especially in the opening paragraph :)
    I added a mention of hotel usage for early or late games, shopping center usage for tailgate supplies, and restaurant usage for eating before/after games as well.

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002

If you're reading this thread, you have no reason or excuse for not clicking the direct link above and composing your own letter. It is a simple and effective way to get your voice heard.

6. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

Here's what we've told our members:

7. DCU & GNS FAN

DCU & GNS FAN Member

Sep 1, 2008
    BARRA 135

My contribution:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am a Montgomery County (MD! - as there are 16 Montgomery Counties around the United States) resident and a soccer fan, and wish to state my strong support for a soccer specific stadium in PG County with convenient access to Metro and to I-495. My adult daughter is also a serious soccer fan, so we have been going to soccer matches at RFK stadium in DC for many years: DC United, Washington Freedom, US National (Men's and Women's) Teams, World Cup, International "friendlies", etc.

In simple economic terms: We spend Maryland dollars in and around RFK stadium in DC; dollars which, of course, we would spend in and around a PG County based soccer specific stadium with related amenities.

The greater Baltimore - Washington region has one of the strongest soccer cultures in the United States; DC United enjoys among the largest supporter groups in the country, and draws large crowds to each of its home games. The former Washington Freedom also had one of the largest fan bases in the women's professional league; the new Washington Freedom will assuredly do likewise and will probably play in the new stadium once the new professional women's soccer league gets established. International "friendlies" and World Cup matches draw large crowds from the varied international residents of this area. In addition, matches where an US National (Men's or Women's) Team or DC United plays a Central American or Caribbean team draw enthusiastic support for both sides - the alternating chants or songs from the domestic supporters and from the international community make for a memorable sports event.

The combination of DC United, Washington Freedom, US National Teams, and International "friendlies" should account for upwards of 30 matches per year; with the addition of potential World Cup and/or Olympic competitions, the number would be substantially higher.

The visiting teams for all these matches would likely stay in near-by facilities in the National Harbor complex (instead of, for example, downtown DC).

The fans for both sides in these matches will spend dollars pre-game and post-game for food and drink. As the stadium is to be within a larger retail complex, these additional dollars would also be spend in PC county, in contrast with, for example, the situation with the isolated FEDEX field where the fans go elsewhere to celebrate (or commiserate).

The dollars spent by visiting teams and that by fans of both sides of these matches would all be new Maryland income - not redirected income - as these dollars are currently spent mostly in downtown DC.

A soccer specific stadium - with rectangular shape and moderate size - would appeal to competitions in other sports, for example, field hockey and lacrosse both of which are growing in popularity especially at the high school and college levels. We understand that the NCAA lacrosse championships are to be played in Maryland in 2010 and 2011; this stadium would easily draw similar championship competitions in the future.

We would think that a stadium of this size - larger than a typical concert hall, yet smaller than an (American) football stadium - might appeal to events outside the sports world: concerts, religious gatherings, circuses, rodeos, and who knows what else.

While we would have preferred a stadium in Montgomery County, we recognize that that is simply not practical given the lack suitable land at tolerable cost near a Metro station.

Therefore, we urge you to support the construction of this stadium in PG County.

8. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just sent mine in as well. I sent an email out to other soccer people I know, and put it up on my personal blog (Seahawkdad, I "borrowed" your bullet points, I hope you don't mind). I'm going to see if I can facebook it too...

9. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's why they are there. They're culled from a lot of collective wisdom from these threads.

10. Streetlight

Streetlight New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I figured a high schooler writing couldn't hurt. If anyone cares what I wrote, here it is. I used the post two posts above me as a loose template.

I am a Montgomery County, MD resident and a soccer fan, and I wish to show my support for a soccer specific stadium in Prince George's County with access to Metro and to I-495.

I am currently a high school junior, who plans on going to college at the University of Maryland next year. While there, I plan to attend as many D.C. United games as I possibly can and I truly believe that a new stadium will only encourage others to do so as well. It is not only United games that I plan to attend. International matches, women's games, and concerts would all draw me to a new P.G. stadium.

My family and I, all attend many games a year plus other events held at RFK stadium. In economic terms, we spend Maryland dollars in and around RFK stadium in. Our money would be redirected into the state of Maryland if a stadium were to be built.

DC United enjoys among the largest supporter groups in the country, and is always near or at the top of the league attendance wise (as well as performance wise, usually). The former Washington Freedom also had one of the largest fan bases in the women's professional league. The new Washington Freedom will no doubt also draw crowds of a large size when the new professional women's soccer league gets up and running. International "friendlies" and World Cup matches draw huge crowds from around the Mid-Atlantic region, not just the D.C., Maryland, Virginia area. Visiting fans for these matches (both for D.C. United and International) would likely stay in near-by facilities in the National Harbor complex (instead of, for example, downtown DC). The money spent by visiting teams and that by fans of both sides of these matches would all be new Maryland income.

A stadium of this size - larger than a typical concert hall, yet smaller than an (American) football stadium - might appeal to events other than soccer such as college sports and even events outside the soccer world such as concerts.

As a high school student, I am always looking towards my future. And I have to say, after college, a stadium in P.G. County would make the area a very attractive area to live for me. As well as many other citizens, I'm sure. Because of this, and all the the reasons stated above, I strongly urge you to support the construction of this stadium in PG County.

Thank you for your time.

11. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: An easy way to contact MD lawmakers about the stadium effort (now with talking points)

Hey folks - let's keep this sticky to sharing our letters so that folks can easily find talking points and information to use for their own letters.

I've moved the other posts to the Stadium thread in case you are looking for your post. ;)

And I thank ye.

12. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Great stuff everyone. I got my appropriations committee letters out, and will do the senate committee letters tomorrow.

Two quick points - best to keep messages positive and factual - as all these examples have been.

And state your position in the subject line - something like "supporting PG stadium". Busy staffers can't always read every letter - often they just tally #'s for and against. Let's make it easy to count our position. Keeping that in mind, just get your message in so it's counted in the "for" column. It doesn't have to elequent.

13. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Your RSL friends are sending letters-- we remember your support a few years back and are happy to reciprocate. Good luck with your PG County project.

14. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I submitted, I went with a more personal angle than simply throwing numbers, facts, and talking points... lets not let the truth get in the way of good arguments, it's worked for Karl Rove for years:

I am writing to urge you to support a new stadium for DC United in Prince George's County.

I am proud to be a member of La Barra Brava, attend roughly 10-15 home and away matches a year, and have been a fan of DC United since their first match in 1996.
    RFK has been a great home for the team for the last 13 years, but it doesn't take an architectural-engineer to see that she won't remain standing for much longer. Not to mention the financial ramifications of renting a stadium with no ancillary revenue streams available to the team.

I am also a former-resident of Montgomery County Maryland, who now resides in Durham, North Carolina, a county not unlike Prince George's County in many ways.

A somewhat-recent stadium project here (Durham Bulls Athletic Park) has lead to dramatic increases in downtown Durham visitors, who frequently enjoy the many bars, restaurants, and other attractions that have been built around the stadium as part of the American Tobacco Warehouse district.

This mixed-use development also includes offices, and high-rise condos. Such a mixed-use development at the new DC United stadium site would seem to be right up Victor MacFarlane's alley, and could attract more affluent residents to the area.

Also, unlike FedEx field, a 24,000 seat stadium located near a metro station in Prince George's County for DC United, would be used for more than 15 events a year.

DC United averages approximately 25 home matches per season between Regular season matches, international tournament matches, playoff matches, and international friendly matches.

No, not every match will be a sellout, but looking at United's attendance figures since the beginning of MLS in 1996, it's more than reasonable to assume that the team will draw approximately 18,000+ per match. Even using conservative estimates, that's easily 250,000 visitors to Prince George's County. Visitors who need food, drinks, gas, and in the case of traveling fans like myself, hotel rooms.

Please, do not allow this opportunity to escape the state of Maryland and Prince George's County.

15. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: An easy way to contact MD lawmakers about the stadium effort (now with talking points)

Sounders Nation is doing what we can to help. ;) We are with you in solidarity!

[​IMG] SoundersInsider

SSFC Nation and MLS Fans unite to help DC United to get a stadium deal. They need our help. Details here: http://tinyurl.com/cnarvb

16. NatsDad

NatsDad Member

May 5, 2004
    DC Metro
    Club:
    DC United
    If anybody is going to the hearing next Thursday, it would be great if Seahawkdad's bullets could be put on paper and make it into the committee record! I'd do it, if I could make it, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get there.

The agenda for the House Appropriations Committee for next Tuesday is here, and this important info regarding the Committee, and addressing it is also on the MGA website:

17. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are encouraging Philadelphia fans to assist. Hope it helps guys and gals.

18. kasdc

kasdc New Member

Apr 3, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wanted to mention too that even though emails are a great way to get your message across, sending actual letters, phone calls, and visits to the representatives' offices goes even further. If you are a constituent in MD, please consider doing these things as well.

19. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just finished a quick trip through the other MLS teams' forums, and even with jguildea8's great effort there were a few teams we haven't asked: Chicago; Kansas City; New York; Toronto.

New England hadn't been either, but I took care of that by asking the Midnight Rider's leader to post a request, which he did.

If anyone has contacts at these other teams' fans, please put out the word. Check out one of jguildea8's requests for the wording.

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Just to show you don't have to be a good writer to send an e-mail, this is what I sent.

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Just got the ok back from Chicago but haven't had time to post on their forum. If some one can please go ahead, I have a staff meeting in 10 minutes and have to run. Haven't heard back from NY or Toronto, someome PM their mods please.

22. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, a response I just got from Prince George County Council...

Thank you for your email regarding the DC United stadium proposal.

I recognize that DC United has been a leading force in US professional soccer since MLS started. I am a long-time soccer fan, including of DC United. However, while I have received many dozens of emails from United's fans throughout the Country recently, I have not had one constituent agree that this is a good idea for Prince George's County as this time.

I agree that DC United needs a new stadium. Why that should be in a location where United has few fans and why our taxpayers (who are not fans) should pay for it has not been well-explained. Simply, DC United has put together a lackluster proposal that has been rejected by the District of Columbia where they presently reside, and by the surrounding counties in Virginia and Maryland where most of their fan base is.

The DC United proposal is to have taxpayers build one of the most expensive soccer stadiums in the Country, with minimal financial participation by the Team. When we questioned the team ownership about their proposal, they could not provide rational answers.

If DC United regroups and brings forth a fiscally responsible proposal, I would be willing to give due consideration. In case you are unaware, our County is looking at a deficit in excess of $100 million for this coming year. Next year does not look too good either. Contributing significant taxpayer dollars for a stadium for a team our residents do not support does not make sense. Further, stadiums of this nature rarely bring additional economic development that might justify the public investment. To the extent that there are some examples where a soccer stadium has assisted in generating additional economic development, those examples are far different than what is being proposed here.

In closing, I want to thank you for your email. This IS an automated response, for which I apologize, however, I am reading each of the emails that I have received.

Tom Dernoga, Vice Chair
    Prince George's County Council

Good luck fellas....Really!:D

23. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think DC United's plan in its current form has no chance of passage from the committee. DC United/MLS are going to have to come up with more of the cash on their own, at least 50% if not more. Ideally, 100% so the input from county and state officials is minimal.

24. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va

if you ignore the use of "the dc united" i think that's a pretty fair response from tom dernoga

this current proposal isnt going to pass

better come up with something better boys

25. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another response...

Thanks for your email on the proposed stadium for DC United in Prince George's County. Frankly, I have not decided what my position is on this bill. It comes down to economics. I am opposed to any solution that does not fully pay for itself. I am also skeptical about rosy projections that are not supported by facts and data.

In Prince George's County we have a long history of glib promises made to get public benefits that do not materialize. The Redskins stadium is a perfect example. It has not produced the benefits promised.

When private businesses want public "welfare" they are quick to make promises, but unless there is some real mechanism to hold them to their promises, it is all talk.

A soccer stadium in the county would be nice, but not at the expense of public safety, housing, health, education and other critical services -- all of which are in financial peril. So I want to see real numbers and real ways to hold the owners of the team accountable for what they promise. Otherwise, we have better things to do with our money.

Best

Del. Doyle Niemann
    Maryland House of Delegates
    240-606-1298
    doyle.niemann@house.state.md.us