Jeff Parke Trialing at Anderlecht

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Shabs, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
  2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been in Belgium for a while. Good luck to him b/c he's surely good enough.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Parke. While not a standout defender; he's solid. He was selected by Seattle in the expansion draft, correct? I bet he would be a solid addition is he signed. But it seems like he wants to try his luck abroad. I wish him well. I hope he takes a look into Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, too. He could probably be picked up by a decent side in those leagues/.

4. ACCCsoccer

ACCCsoccer New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Ocean City, NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see him try to offer a hand to pick up an opponent and then pull it away like he did to Blanco last season.

Parke's act will get so old in Europe.

5. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always thought Jeff Parke was one of the more underrated/underappreciated center backs in MLS. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he catches on at Anderlecht.

That said, I'd like to see him back in MLS. He's an important part of the "middle class" of American players that MLS needs to be viable.

Meh...Blanco deserves it.

6. euroman 4

euroman 4 Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anderlecht seems like a bit of a reach for Parke but good luck to him. He's done well in the underdog role in the past as the last player taken in the 2004 Superdraft and became a solid MLS CB.

7. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I don't think so. Parke's a superior athlete and his short-range (20 yards or less) distribution is nearly flawless. He also reads the game extraordinarily well. No other central defender in MLS, Parkhurst included, has had to make more goal-saving interventions over the past five years to clean up for a teammate's mistake.

Frankly I think it's a shame that Bradley hasn't given him a look for the USMNT.

8. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    He had his moments with RB the last few years. He was always good for the occasional marking lapse or misjudgement of a header, but he was a solid MLS starting centerback. Physically strong and mobile, just lacking focus at times. Perhaps playing in a different environment will help him run a tighter shop.

I think he'll be fine.

9. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sound like he's been there a couple weeks, but just training with the reserves so far.

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4447

Hopefully he sticks, if not with Anderlecht then with somebody overseas...it would be painful to see him in another team's uniform playing against RBNY. :( He's a talented player and can definitely excel in a league like Belgium (although I wish he'd followed in Califf & Parkhurst's footsteps to Denmark).

10. ACCCsoccer

ACCCsoccer New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Ocean City, NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's painful to watch him play period. He's the quintessential fouler and uniform puller who is regularly beaten by skilled players. RBNY let him go, Seattle didn't sign him. He'll be back in MLS before you know it.

11. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle fans have been hard on Parke in our local forums, especially because he looks like a key ingredient to balance our offensive-heavy roster, but has been rumored to 'not want to play in Seattle.'

Chris Henderson felt he was worth an expansion draft pick even though it was clear he wanted to play in Europe.

Parke more recently was reported by "Ives" as keeping his MLS options open, but preferring not to sign with the club who has his rights.

12. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBNY let him go because they knew he was out of contract and wanted to try Europe. It's not like they cut him.

13. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    was it Parke who had that vicious frustration hack against Robbie Rogers in the Cup final?

14. euroman 4

euroman 4 Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a defenders lot in life to win the battles 99% of time with attackers but we only remember the 1% of the time they fail. By MLS standards Parke is certainly in the top 25% of starting defenders in the league. Negative comments about his play at the MLS level are completely unfair if we look at an entire season and not an isolated incident or two.
    Now, is he good enough to play for Anderlecht? I don't think so but he only has to impress one manager not all of Europe to find a job.

15. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Parke was suspended for the final. It's Goldthwaite you're probably thinking of and it wasn't in the Cup final.

16. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parke's contract was up with RB and Seattle picked him up with in the draft, if he wasn't worth it they wouldn't had wasted a selection on him. I can name you 10 defenders worst than him that get more attention and money.

17. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go.

*I agree with you, by the way, I just want to see your list out of sheer curiosity* :)

18. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dulio Davino*
    Gonzalo Peralta
    Gonzalo Martinez
    Andrew Boyen*
    Gabriel Cichero*
    Jonathan Bornstein*
    Tyron Marshall*
    Shavar Thomas*
    Chris Albright*
    Ante Jazic*

*Current or former internationals

19. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parke pulled 57 grand for '08 in the Red Bulls. Ten players who made more than TWICE his salary in '08 and aren't as good as him:

1) Facundo Erpen - 120k
    2) Mike Petke - 133K
    3) Dulio Davino - 400K
    4) Gonzalo Martinez - 228K
    5) Gonzalo Peralta - 180K
    6) Eduardo Dominguez - 192K
    7) Ante Jazic - 120K
    8) Gabriel Cichero - 156K
    9) Tyrone Marshall - 150K
    10) Nick Garcia - 190K

There's more than 10.

20. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    It was no secret that Parke was underpaid. He wanted to look to Europe, and that's why they left him unprotected.

However, I wonder if NY was willing to offer him a salary comparable to that previous list of defenders. If they were, would he have re-signed? Osorio seems more than willing to offer mediocre defenders from Concacaf and South America that kind of money...but I'll go ahead and move my theories to the RBNY boards.

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were not willing to give him much more than his current salary according to Stover, the RBNY GM.

Incidently Parke's trial with Anderlecht is over with no contract offered. He's now with RAEC Mons, which happens to be at the exact opposite end of the table.

22. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things didn't work out in Seattle (I guess he shouldn't have given up on those trials in Europe so quickly). He's now training in Vancouver and may return to MLS (with another team via trade) or head back across the pond.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle are probably going to make if hard for other MLS clubs to sign him. If I were Parke I would say screw MLS and try to latch on to Vancouver if he could. I feel sure he would still have to serve the remaining 4 games if he played in the USL. It could be extremely difficult to hammer out a deal, though. I don't know if he would be a Whitecap USL player or if Vancouver would make him a MLS singing a la Le Toux last year for the Sounders. It could get complicated. I feel for the guy he made a mistake paid his dues but it is still going to haunt him like especially across the pond. Parke's too good to be on the sideline so I hope something happens quickly. He's at a crossroads.

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff has really come a long way