Santiago Hirsig signed

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Feb 11, 2009.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This thread is continued from here:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=936684&page=7

Please limit this thread to talk about Santiago Hirsig only. The other side conversations that were going on in the previous thread need to stop.

2. Kcwizforlife

Kcwizforlife New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm super excited to hear about this signing! I can see great things happening in the midfield between this man and el piojo.

Here's a clip of a great finish from a rough angle from our new Argie:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVZzlrIgaVs"]YouTube - Goles santos: Hirsig a Blanquiceleste[/ame]

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hirsig is on the right:

[​IMG]

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me cautiously optimistic about this move. He's not "too old" at only 31, so he still should have the ability to play. And being able to play for San Lorenzo, even as a sub should mean he's no slouch.

5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He looks like the dude from Perfect Strangers.

How the hell am I old enough (I'm only 23) to remember Perfect Strangers?

6. soccerpatch11

soccerpatch11 Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice video whoever put that up. I do not think that was a rough angle, he just made it look like that with the finish. Hopefully he will put some of those away for us!

I'm fantastic!

-The Special One

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahahahaha, balki.

8. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S-L-Xk8B-Q"]YouTube - Santiago Hirsig -18- (Compilado de jugadas)[/ame]

9. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bloody face pic at the 4:09 mark is cool

10. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Am I the only one entirely underwhelmed by this? He does not score much from all the stats I have seen, other than the fact that he is 31 ...... we don't know much else at all. Big time Argentinian star ....... that nobody had heard of before yesterday.

He'll fit right in at Community America.

11. jwhill37

jwhill37 New Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Gardner
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - Doomsayer much!?! There has been this talk before about not knowing who this is, or what he has done....

I'm a little tired of it. We live in Kansas City....now I love KC and the Wizards, but we need to realize that we are building a program - not a group like AC, Chelsea, or ManU. We need role players all over the field - thats what the Cup winners had this year. They didn't have Beckham or....Riquelme - they had players that were "good" at their job and did it. And they excelled as a team. Many times in the previous year we struggled playing the ball into the forwards - whether by injury, slump, or wrong positioning - and this is a way the FO is trying to rectify this.

I would say this guy - though I know nothing about him either (yet) - is going to play a better seaon than Marinelli.

12. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not expecting a the next Maradona, just wasn't expecting the road sweeper :D

Jibes aside, considering his age and his relative lack of rep -- we probably could have found a player with the US that could do the job unless the Wizards have some serious South American scouts out and about.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So just because he doesn't score a lot or isn't well known, he's not good? You're basing your entire view of him based on those two facts. From what I've heard, he's a bit of a deeper sitting midfielder.

14. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had anybody heard of Davy Arnaud before we drafted him? Give the guy a chance. I personally can't wait to see what Lopez and Hirsig can do when on the field together. I hope there will be some more creative passing going on....

15. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope they sure didn't. You want to know why? Probably because about 95% of us follow soccer from all over the world and could care less about college soccer here.

16. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I am happy he is here, whether or not he is known to anyone is irrevalant to me. If he produces on the pitch, that is all that matters! So Welcome Santiago!

17. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since when is scoring goals the only skill that makes you a good player? For all we know, he could be assisting every single goal that San Lorenzo has had this year. He could have a number of other skills that make him a good player.

No one ever claimed him to be a big Argentinian star. This move wasnt made to bring in a star. I think it should be apparent that this move was made to bring must needed depth to a team playing in three competitions this year.

18. Husker

Husker New Member

Mar 14, 1999
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very happy with the signing also. Hirsig will add to the depth in the midfield which will be needed with leauge play, open cup and the Superliga this year. He's played in the Argentian League for years along with competing in the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana, that experience should do nothing but help the Wizards this year.

19. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPg5LjGYz8"]YouTube - Perfect Strangers - The Dance of Joy[/ame]

I'm sensing a goal celebration/chant for him already....

20. TPBinKC

TPBinKC Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not underwhelmed nor overwhelmed. I am..... interested. I am curious how and why this guy was chosen.

You are correct, he does not score much and it does not look like he was a big assist guy either. Places I've looked have had him listed as attacking, defensive/holding and right mid so I am not really sure if I should expect him to have big numbers or not. Of course my Spanish is not great so reading some of the info out there may lead to confusion.

We as fans may be making this out to be bigger than it is supposed to be. This signing may just be for depth, not for big splashy impact. I am really not sure until I hear more from the team how they promote him and plan on using him. If he is listed right next to Claudio, Jimmy and Davy in advertisements then I will expect him to be that top player. When we see what his salary is, that will also tell us a little bit of what to expect.

Robb did not say in his post that he would was a big superstar (I don't think he did). He did say another attacking player when he gave his first hint but that may have just meant he was not a defender or keeper.

Robb (and thanks again for the info) was giving a heads up on another player coming in. He did that with Marinelli, Columbano and Lopez.

When I get a chance, I will ask Peter where he expects Hirsig to fit in and what his expectations are.

As far as going after big (or bigger) names from anywhere, South America or the US even, there is the problem of transfer fees. If the Wizards were willing to add a DP and pay him millions in salary, they still can not just buy a player from a club. MLS does not normally pay transfer fees. They sell players, not buy them. Having to find players that are free makes it far more difficult when every club in the world wants free transfer players.

I can't wait to see where he fits in, but till then I will be cautiously optimistic.

21. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of "Close on another attacking player", maybe Robb should have called the initial thread "Close on another player to attack".

sigh.

22. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You go, boy! We appreciate your digging duty. :D:)

23. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Looking at his stats on ESPN Soccernet, he has more Yellow Cards than goals or assists over the last three years. I'd say that clearly makes him a defensive midfielder and not an attacker or winger. So I wouldnt' be concerned about his lack of goals. When Dallas picked up Ricchetti from Argentina no one ever heard of him. He didn't have any goals either. He enters this season as our Capt. and the most consistent player on our squad.

24. gymclasshero

gymclasshero Member

Aug 25, 2008
    KCMO
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It was rumored last month that he was going to sign for my club team in Ecuador. The general consensus was that he was more of an #8, than a #10. A mid that played near the lines, with offensive and defensive projection.

Not the kind of shoulders you want to put your offense on. But a very valuable guy nonetheless.

25. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is from the thread in the N&A forum: