KC Wizards vs. Minnesota Thunder: Saturday, March 14 @ Prairie High School - Cedar Rapids, IA (R)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by firesting81, Feb 10, 2009.

1. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Don't know if this has been announced on here, but the Wizards and Thunder will be playing a pre-season friendly here in Cedar Rapids, IA at Prairie High School (ten minutes from my house). I saw the news and just received the match flyer via an Adobe attachment. Its Saturday, March 14 @ Prairie High School, 5:30 pm.

As a former Wizards flex-plan holder, I'm pretty geeked(!). This is a great marketing move by the Wizards. We're the second most populous city in Iowa and we've got lots of soccer clubs in the area. I predict this will be a big success.

PS - I'll be taking pics and video from the match, which I can link to this thread.

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: KC Wizards vs. Minnesota Thunder: Saturday, March 14 @ Prairie High School - Cedar Rapids, IA (R

That's the same date and location for the IOWA Referee Academy. A free offering by the Iowa Referees.

Check out http://www.iowareferees.org/ if you are interested!

I was planning to head south for Spring Break, but may defer my journey, now!

3. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Re: KC Wizards vs. Minnesota Thunder: Saturday, March 14 @ Prairie High School - Cedar Rapids, IA (R

Well, good for IASocFan, Firesting', and whoever else is up that way. Minnesota beat KC the last time they played, which was in the USOC at Park. Enjoy the game.

4. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Crap. I'll be on a plane to Denver.

5. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, I might be willing to travel for this game. It'd be a good excuse to dust off the old Thunder shirt. Or just wear a generic blue :) I was a pretty big Thunder fan in highschool, they actually played their last couple seasons in my highschool's stadium. :cool:

I'm planning a May wedding in Saint Paul, so getting halfway up there on a weekend might be enough to convince the old lady to go.

Any one else gonna be there?

6. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm thinking about it... preseason for me and my camera... :)

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've done that trip up and back in a day for that, may make the trip...

8. EricKingh8sTheFire

EricKingh8sTheFire New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Alot of Wizards fans should go to this, to see the Wizards get revenge for the twatting Minnesota gave us in the USOC at Park University a few years ago..I think they beat us 4-1 or something like that, it broke my heart...5 hour drive is nothing compared to the taste of sweet vengence if we win big.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No offense, but getting revenge in a meaningless friendly?

From looking at google maps, it looks to be a little bit away from any main part of Cedar Rapids, but at least it's not at Coe.... Is Prairie High School turf or grass?

10. EricKingh8sTheFire

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A game is a game..and the chances of us playing them again this season are probably...um...not very likely? And with this being one of our last friendlys before the season starts, I'd think this is a perfect example of wanting and getting revenge? Maybe you weren't there when we got laughed out of the stands, or had to see the kids with the "Wiz on KC" sign, but I was there and did see it and friendly or not I want to go praying i'll see the Wizards win 15-0...Riquelme netting all 15

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that it should matter, but I was where I always am for games, in the Cauldron.

I was none too pleased with our performance in that game, but to say that we can get "revenge" in a friendly, even if it is our last preseason friendly, is overstating the importance of the game. Unless the team finds a local college team to play (not at all unlikely considering Drake isn't too far away), I'd expect the starters to only play a half, if that.

12. EricKingh8sTheFire

Feb 2, 2009
    Kansas City!!!
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I understand what your saying...either way I want a really good showing, that is all.

13. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Grass...at least it used to be...and it's on the South side of town, just off the interstate. It's impossible to miss with the big 'PRAIRIE' sign as you drive past.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, it's a fairly straight forward drive from KC, I-35, to I-80, to I-380.

15. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I've gotten a little more info. The game was a big topic of discussion on the most popular FM station in the area, and it made local news. Turns out tickets are a bit on the pricey side, $30 for the match (which is a double-header with Prairie afterwards), but your money will be going to a great cause. Many of you already know about what happened last summer in CR, but here is the organization proceeds go towards...

http://www.gcrcf.org/

There is also a clinic put on by the Wizards players that give kids an MLS ball, Wizards shirt, tickets to the match, and tickets to the regular season match in Sept. (?) against Colorado in KC. The cost of the clinic is $100 from what I've heard. The Wizards are getting a lot of good PR for this and it shows what a great organization KC has.

PS - Kuhnscoot, Ill try and send you an e-mail tomorrow from work.

EDIT: More formal confirmation from Eastern Iowa's biggest FM station. Story headline is on their front page. http://www.kzia.com/Default.aspx

16. soccer_mom

soccer_mom New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards

Hi, I am the Director of Fundraising for Prairie SC, I have been an integral part of bringing KC to cedar rapids. If anyone has any questions you can call 319-845-3039.
    Wizards will be playing a double header against the Thunder. The whole town is a buzzz.....what a great way to help the community around the greater cedar rapids area, and what a WONDERFUL move for the Wizards!!!!:):cool:

17. soccer_mom

soccer_mom New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards

For more details about the Wizards vs Thunder in cedar rapids go to www.prairiesoccer.com

18. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guys and gals, soccer_mom and one of our sales staff members (Nikki Shepard--if you get the chance to meet her, thank her) have been working extremely hard on this event (really, series of events) for the past two months.

Go through soccer_mom (Janet) for tickets. They're $30, and (for the sake of repeating it), her number is 319-845-3039.

They are planning for Cauldron folks to come, so, yes, a standing area will be provided for. The Prairie SC boys' U-18 team is excited to join in.

19. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

BUMP. Since it is official now...

http://kc.wizards.mlsnet.com/news/t...t_id=220266&vkey=news_kcw&fext=.jsp&team=t105

I'm wondering how many of you are making the trip up? If any of you have questions about places to eat/visit, nearby watering holes, hotels, the location of the match, etc. PM me and I'd be happy to share some local knowledge.

PS - The Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (who have produced a few NHL players lately) have a USHL game facing-off nearby, just a bit before the reserve match would kick-off, if you're into hockey like me.

20. Soccer Intelligence

Soccer Intelligence New Member

Nov 19, 2008

What is the weather supposed to be like for this?

21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if you can find someone who can accurately predict the weather for a two hour period almost two weeks away... well, i'd like to meet this person.

22. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

***BOLD PREDICTION***

Overcast and freaking cold.

23. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is in Iowa in mid-March.....you forgot the 6 inches of snow on the ground. ;)

You mean, you don't trust Katie "The Bitch" Horner and her accurate zone by zone predictions? :D

24. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not humanly possible to determine the weather more than 2 days ahead in Iowa...

25. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, that's supposed to be the week of the girl's tournament...which is this week...but I think that mother nature might not have picked up on this yet.