Guardian: ESPN and Setanta to team up against FSC for US PL Rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by unoriginal_name, Feb 5, 2009.

1. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    In my opinion, the only reasons La Liga is getting around $10 million/year in video rights fee in the U.S. market are because 1) GolTV needs La Liga in order to keep its place in English-language "sports packs" on cable and satellite TV systems (without La Liga, GolTV will be relegated exclusively to the Spanish-language packages), and 2) FOX Sports International (FSI) knows that GolTV needs La Liga so FSI will bid against GolTV in order to force GolTV to pay more than what La Liga is worth intrinsically.

In the last contract cycle, GolTV fired a salvo across the bow of FSI when GolTV bought the rights to Arsenal TV and Liverpool TV. FSI then allegedly ganged up with Setanta to jack up the rights fee for La Liga (to around $10 million), forcing GolTV to match the bid in order to keep the product. Of course, GolTV allegedly turned around and bid $19 milliion/year for EPL, forcing FSI/Setanta to match that bid in order for FSI/Setanta to retain EPL.

In other words, GolTV and FSI/Setanta screwed each other in the last bidding cycle and neither side made money.

This time around, GolTV is wisely not making any noise regarding EPL.

The one outfit that is making a lot of noise regarding EPL, namely ESPN, Inc., has access to a war chest, but has shown so far that it is NOT willing to lose money on EPL. Not even in the U.K. market.

2. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The major reason why the Mexican League is scattered across 7 different channels in the U.S. is of course dinero.

Chivas Guadalajara started the whole merry-go-round when it took a big offer (allegedly in the neighborhood of $100 million/year) from NBC Universal/Telemundo and left the Univision Networks.

The whole Televisa-Univision feud escalated last September when Televisa yanked the U.S. TV rights to the 6 teams it does NOT own (Atlante, Atlas, Monterrey, Pumas, Tigres, Toluca) and moved them to Telemundo.

TV Azteca had sublicensed games to FOX Sports en Espanol and ESPN Deportes in the past while keeping the best games on Azteca America.

Now that the Univision Networks were down to 3 Televisa teams (Club America, Necaxa, San Luis) and had a serious issue with dearth of programming on Galavision (which could endanger cable TV carriage contracts), TV Azteca saw an opportunity and decided to sublicense some of the Friday night and weeknight matches to Univision's Galavision cable channel so that Azteca America won't have to pre-empt its prime time telenovelas.

The Mexican 1st division allegedly makes more money from U.S. TV rights fee than the Big East college basketball league (which collects $160 million/year from ESPN, Inc.)

3. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    GolTV no longer has the Colombian 1st Division (Dimayor).

The Brazilian National Championship and Paulista Championship package was purchased by GolTV from Globo as the replacement for the Colombian 1st Division.

The U.S. and Canadian video rights in English and Spanish for the Brazilian package has to be relatively cheap because no one wanted the package in the last contract cycle.

GolTV now has to decide whether it will continue to pay the big money for La Liga and keep its place on English-language sports packs on U.S. cable and satellite TV platforms, or risk losing English-language sports pack carriage (and lose 75% of its subscribers) if GolTV does not keep La Liga after the 2008-2009 season.

4. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Liga seems like something that was tailor made for ESPN Deportes to increase their viewership.

On a related note, why hasn't ESPN Deportes negotiated an English Language version of itself (for the things it has English Language rights for) that it can sell as a digital sports-tier channel a-la GolTV? or at least carry an English language SAP feed for some of its programs that aren't showing on another network (like Champions League or possibly La Liga)?

5. fcdallas2314

fcdallas2314 Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Garland, Texas, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well they still have the Uruguayan league.

6. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    ESPN already produces La Liga games in Spanish for most of there South American stations, Portuguese for there station in Brazil and in English for stations in Australia/New Zealand and the Caribbean. It would make sense for them to put the games on Deportes as they have already spent the production cost on showing matches in 3 different languages but for them to show La Liga in the US means they have to out bid Gol Tv (from my understanding of talks around BS that should not be that hard). ESPN also produces Serie A games in the exact same way and I believe these are also available on ESPN360 in the US

Not many Real Madrid and Barca are currently been done in Spanish because in Sth America the rights are shared with I believe Fox, but ESPN produce most Real Madrid and Barca games in English for Australia/New Zealand stations

7. UTmorMAN

UTmorMAN New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Ogden
    I have been thinking for a month or so now that something has to be going on with ESPN. They seem to have more EPL flashes and highlights on SportsCenter and you regularly see Euro leagues' scores on "the bottom line" on the weekends. That NEVER happened even a few months ago.

8. MANUTDGAL

MANUTDGAL New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Framingham, Mass.
    Would rather see partnership between ESPN and FSC then could drop Setanta which costs me $15 a month. There is plenty of soccer to go around for those networks though!!!

9. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  10. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'd rather pay the subscription money for a good product. I'm afraid that an ESPN owned int'l network would show the Premier League and ignore the rest of the good programming on offer through Setanta (Championship, France, GAA, news, etc)

11. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    In Latin America, the Televisa/NewsCorp alliance (Sky Mexico, DirecTV Latin America) holds the exclusive video rights to La Liga. ESPN Latin America/ESPN Dos/ESPN Mas sublicenses the 3rd and 4th choice matches (no Real Madrid, no Barcelona) from the Televisa/NewsCorp alliance.

ESPN Asia Pacific Limited (EAP) holds exclusive video rights to La Liga in the South Pacific (for ESPN Australia, ESPN New Zealand, and ESPN South Pacific Islands services).

12. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I don't know where you get this ESPN Asia Pacfic Limited (EAP)? I have never herd of EAP and to be honest I think its made up crap it run by ESPN International which comes out of the US like a lot of there other international stations and its not its own company as its never been mentioned on there station or any of there websites. The station original name was called ESPN Pacific Rim and the service into Australia/New Zealand and some Pacific Islands is the same service same feed coming out the Britols, Connecticut. The only difference between programming in Australia is local operators puts a locally made version of PTI over the top of the original feed that comes out of the US. Appart from that the programming is exactly the same.

don't tell me that the South America ESPN stations don't get any Real Madrid or Barcelona games I check often to compare programming. It is rare they don't get many but they do occasionally get the odd Real Madrid or Barcelona game on in fact they had a live Real Madrid game on last weekend

14. galaxynut

galaxynut Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too! I've been seeing these updates lately, never, ever seen those before on ESPN. They even had an EPL goal in their top ten plays last week. :eek:

I hope ESPN can secure something simply for the exposure it will bring to the states, but, I can't live without my FFF, so they better get them too, hmm, ESPNFF doesn't sound so catchy :)

15. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN has had Champions League goals in their Top 10 going back to 2004-05, and I've seen them do EPL highlights on a slow US sports night, but yes ... there is a ramping up of exposure.

16. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    ESPN Asia Pacific Limited (EAP) is the Hong Kong-based corporated entity that oversees the operation of ESPN Australia, ESPN New Zealand, and ESPN South Pacific Islands.

EAP is also the corporate entity that holds the equity stakes in J Sports in Japan (which is operated by Jupiter Sports Corporation, which is managed by the Sumitomo Group) and ESPN STAR Sports based in Singapore (which is managed by News Corporation Limited's STAR TV unit).

17. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I not 100% what you write is accurate, ESPN Pacific Rim has a closer relationship to the other international ESPN stations in Africa/Middle East and South America as there programming line-up is very similar.

ESPNStar is run very differently they produce shows in Singapore/Hong Kong and India unlike ESPN Pacific Rim all there programming is run out of Bristols, Connecticut, there is only one regular show that is made by ESPNStar that makes it to the other ESPN International stations.

I enquired about ESPN Pacific Rim getting the Sportscenter Asia which is produced in Singapore my response was that was not possible due to ESPN Asia association with Star Sports (Newscorp). They started up a Australian version one year latter which is shown at 7am in the morning because its is produced Bristols Connecticut, and is shot 1 hour before they make the other International Sportscenter program which is shown into Africa, Middle east and Caribbean. I know this because I am friends with one of the host who formerly worked for ESPNStar and hosted Sportscenter Asia and then he got a transferred to United States and he now works on both the Australia and International SC programs in Bristols.

General ESPN Programming, ESPN Pacific Rim, gets US versions of Sportscenter, Around the Horn and PTI none of these programs are shown on ESPN Asia or Star Sports. ESPN Pacific Rim soccer always uses American commentators which commentate out of Bristols and also get the soccernet press pass show, ESPN and Star Sports use original commentators feeds and they have hosts in Singapore Studios, they don't get Press Pass but they produce a lot of there own shows in Asia like Football Forecast, Football Focus, First Edition, Tiger Football Up Close, which these shows do not make it to any of the other international stations (including ESPN Pacific Rim).

When watching ESPN South-East Asia (ESPNstar) and then ESPN Pacific Rim there is no physical link they are run totally different they even have different ad structors to there commerical breaks. If there is a link it is very very small as stated above there is next to none program sharing

18. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    ESPN Asia has SportCentre locally produced in many different countries, including Taiwan, Hong Kong, India, etc. The programming also varies in different countries. A few of them carry the Premiership (e.g. Taiwan), while in HK, Singapore, China, etc., the Premiership has been snatched by other local ventures.

In the past, the only connection between ESPN Asia and ESPN USA were some American produced programming like Sunday/Monday Nite Football, college basketball, baseball, etc. It seems like a new venture ASN (All Sports Network) has snatched up a lot of American sports programming, including the NFL, NHL and college basketball.

Of course, ESPN USA, TSN (Canada), ESPN Latin America and ESPN PacRim still belong to one big family.

19. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    ESPN Asia Pacific Limited (EAP) is a Hong Kong-based corporate entity for tax management purposes. As you may already know, Hong Kong has a lower corporate tax rate than Australia or the U.S.

I am aware that the programming on ESPN Australia, ESPN New Zealand, and ESPN South Pacific Islands are produced mostly out of Bristol, Connecticut, USA.

I am aware of the career of Jason Dasey, who currently anchors SportsCenter Australia and SportsCenter South Africa from Bristol, Connecticut. Dasey anchored World Sport on CNN Sports Illustrated (which was shut down in May 2002) and CNN International in the U.S. before he moved to ESPN STAR Sports (ESS) in Singapore.

The "ESPN" branded channels run by ESS are corporate sister networks of FOX Sports. The "ESPN" and "SportsCenter" brands and the "ESPN" look are used by ESS under license.

20. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why they'd license ESPN's brand instead of building their own.

21. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I find it weird how you keep on saying ESPN Australia, ESPN New Zealand and South Pacific Islands as I have stated before it is the one channel the one feed that comes out the US. They play the same commercials, they show the same programming, the only difference is local operators can put there own commercials over the top of the original ESPN Pacific Rim feed that comes out of Bristols.
    I still not 100% sure where you get your information on EAP there roll in the whole process must be very small and low key because on ESPN Australia website, ESS website, ESPN International websites there is no statement what so ever acknowledging ESPN Asia Pacific Limited (EAP). The only thing that comes close is I have notice a couple of ESPN jobs which service the Asia Pacific area.

The scheduling on the station is done within the US and when they have a press release about new sporting rights there has never been any mention on EAP. From what your telling me it sounds like EAP is only used for lowering taxes and not much else.

22. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quick google search brought up this ... as well as this thread :)

23. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Not anymore.

ESPN's Bristol operations center now sends out TWO outbound feeds across the Pacific:

ESPN Australia HD, which is transmitted via fiber optic cable

ESPN Pacific Rim (SD), which is transmitted via satellite

--

ESPN Australia (SD) will eventually use the ESPN Australia HD feed instead of the ESPN Pacific Rim feed for base programming once Australian cable/satellite TV operators upgrade their equipment to 1) receive ESPN Australia HD, and 2) convert the ESPN Australia HD feed to SD.

ESPN New Zealand and ESPN South Pacific Islands use the ESPN Pacific Rim feed for base programming.

J Sports ESPN in Japan retransmit selected ESPN programming from the ESPN Pacific Rim feed.

ESPN STAR Sports (ESS) in Singapore retransmit selected ESPN programming from the ESPN Pacific Rim feed on ESPN-branded channels in Asia. In addition, ESS will take certain FOX Sports Net (FSN) programming from the U.S. and retransmit it on ESPN-branded channels in Asia operated by ESS, with the "ESPN" bug placed on the screen.

[FSN network programming is no longer transmitted with "FSN" bugs or the "FSN" graphic, and the announcers now say "You are watching (name of the program) on your regional sports network" instead of "You are watching (name of the program) on FSN."]

ESPN Asia Pacific Limited (EAP) is a corporate entity that was originally incorporated in Hong Kong in 1993 as "ESPN Asia Limited". EAP's physical presence in Hong Kong consists of a small office.

EAP is a corporate entity used for tax management.

For example, if another Australian channel were to license programming from ESPN International Syndication (which is now headquartered in Hammersmith/London), the deal would be done out of EAP in Hong Kong so that EAP would be taxed on the profits at a lower corporate tax rate than if the deal were done by a corporate entity in Australia, the U.S., or the United Kingdom.

Multinational corporations will set up corporate entities in "tax havens" to manage their corporate taxes.

For example, NewsCorp has corporate entities in over 50 countries and territories, including a number of "tax havens" (Netherlands Antillies is one example) to facilitate tax-efficient business transactions.

General Electric (GE) is of course the undisputed king of using corporate entities registered in "tax havens" for corporate tax management.

24. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I am aware of ESPN Australia HD but currently its only available with one service provider that because of my geographical location I can net get legally. I don't think ESPN will provide a service just for New Zealand and Pacific Island as there populations are too small and it will have to increase the prices to there service providers leading to them either dumping it or passing on prices to there customers.

Also a lot of people in Australia would be annoyed if ESPN Pacific Rim and ESPN Australia HD merge into one channel for the reason they show different programming, For example ESPN Pacific Rim this morning showed Genoa vs. Fiorentina followed by Sporting Clube de Portugal vs. Real Madrid while ESPN Australia HD showed Juventus vs. Sampdoria followed by Racing de Santander vs. Villarreal.

For the major American sports generally the stations simulcast the same event live but ESPN Australia HD does show a exclusive content mainly American college sports but there is the odd soccer game that is exclusive/exclusively live to the HD channel where ESPN Pacific Rim either does not show it at all or is taking it on delay, I don't really see the positives of them giving New Zealand and the Pacific Island there own feed and if they were to merge the Australian feeds that would effect people forking out the extra money to upgrade to HD

What when?, ESS never takes ESPN Pacific Rim feed, I have seen ESS take a golf feed from ESPN International which I believe was produced in English for ESPN Atlantic (Africa). there is no regular content that I am aware of that ESS takes from ESPN Pacific Rim. They usually show different NBA and MLB games than ESPN Pacific Rim and when they do show the same games I don't think it would be via ESPN Pacfic Rim feed.

25. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    ESS-operated ESPN-branded channels in Asia retransmit selected U.S. college football (gridiron) and college basketball games off the ESPN Pacific Rim feed during weekday mornings to fill time.

I was able to watch the Maui Invitational pre-season college basketball tournament on ESPN Asia when I was in Macau on business in November 2007.