Luis Miguel Escalada to Crew?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kirsoccer, Jan 29, 2009.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Any word on this report?

2. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Got a source?

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple GBS connections with Escalada as he not only played for Boca Jrs. but he was also with Gimnasia a short while ago.

He has reportedly gotten an offer from Argentina's Newell's Old Boys but has said that he wants to come to MLS. Jason Kreis was seen in Quito yesterday watching him play in a match.

4. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, sorry - left off the link. Here it is: futbolecuador.

5. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised there isn't more talk about this, would be an interesting signing. 49 goals in 78 games at the age of 20 and 21. Unless the Ecuadorian league is complete crap that is pretty good. Pretty good in any league at that age.

WVHooligan posted something the other day that our allocation was 13th with the Red Bulls at 12th. But, where do you think Escalada wants to go and where do you think he would succeed? I think the answer twice is Columbus. Receiving balls from an Argentinian legend Schelotto and having other Argentinians with him in Padula and Ibarrean. I mean New York has Pietravallo but come on he is probably the crappiest Argentinian player I have ever seen, way worse than Hernandez. It's Schelotto hands down, I think MLS(Morales-types) and especially Columbus with Schelotto is an attraction for any young Argentinian like Escalada to come to the league and get time if they are the third option on their South American squad.

Also if this is a loan from LD Quito? Where do you think they want him to go? And, if a talented 22 year old from Argentina has a preference to which team he wants to go to, do you think MLS won't even listen to it? Heck, if the kid doesn't want to go to NY(and this is speculation because he might) then are MLS going to say we don't want you then? Columbus would make more sense for a kid like this, Argentinian assistant coach and Argentina legend possibly supplying you with balls. I hope he lands because we could use another talented striker with CONCACAF.

I threw up some videos and links on here:
    http://crewonespot.blogspot.com/2009/01/12909-crew-interested-in-22-year-old.html

Gave a shoutout to you're translation realslfan.

6. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    I don't think allocation placement has anything to do with it, unless both teams but a discover claim on him on the same day. If he was a returning USMNT player or up-an-coming American youth player - allocation order would be important.

7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Latest info has Escalada indeed coming to MLS (agreements being finalized), but reports indicate that he'll be headed to NYRB.

8. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, figures. MLS has to balance everything out.

9. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Although NY appears to have a glut of forwards: JPA, Etcheverry, Oduro, Mac Khandji, Wolyniec. So I would assume they would have to move one of these. Another possibility is that NY has filed a discovery on him and is trying to extract something from other teams interested in him.

10. dodant

dodant New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Mason, Ohio
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal.com has a story from yesterday that Real Salt Lake, Columbus Crew and New York Red Bull are still in the hunt for Escalada.

Anyone here any updates?

11. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Kreis has the discovery claim, so I'm guessing Escalada's his.

12. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    True. That info came from Keepin' It Real, but reports still keep coming out linking him to NYRB. I was able to verify that if he comes to MLS (which looks like it will happen), his rights will be owned by RSL.

13. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless someone's going to use a DP spot on him, I don't see how more than one team is in the running.

Only other possibility is a team submitted a discovery on him and he and/or another team are negotiating a trade.

Otherwise, it's just that teams are looking at him. But my guess would be that someone's made a claim on him by now.

14. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    This is already discussed in this thread, but Real Salt Lake holds the discovery on him.

15. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Anytime a report comes out linking a talented foreign player to MLS is always to New York or LA. This is for 2 reasons: 1: these are the only 2 cities that foreigners know have an MLS team and 2: because the league tends to hand these 2 clubs talented players who want to come to MLS. The validity of RSL's discovery on him is immaterial; most foreign press don't understand the MLS "discovery" concept (neither can most MLS fans, but that's another topic).

In other words, reports link him to New York only because that's about the only US city they have probably heard of.

Of course, I'm just speculating, which I am free to do on an internet message board.

16. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Very true. The only reason I knew about Columbus was because my project supervisor advised me to read up on the work done by someone at OSU. Beyond that, I'd never heard of the place. I'd heard of Cleveland and Cincinnati, but not Columbus.

17. jimbchr

jimbchr Member

Mar 3, 2008
    kcmo
    From what I've read and what I understand, he is heading to RSL.