NCR: US-Sweden Viewing Party Sat at Claddagh; Frankie to be in Attendance

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CrewBeat, Jan 22, 2009.

1. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

The Columbus Brigade & Crew Supporters Union viewing party for US-Sweden (Saturday, 8:30pm) will be at Claddagh Irish Pub in the Brewery District. In attendance will be Crew legend and USMNT mainstay Frankie Hejduk. I don't have more details than that right now, but Claddagh has done the work on this. I'm sure Frankie would be more than willing to sign some autographs, take some pictures or be up for a beer chugging contest.

So, come on out and cheer on the US and the Crew players trying to make it to the roster for the upcoming World Cup Qualifiers.

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Is he bringing Robbie's sisters?
    Someone had to ask.

3. CrewBeat

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I somehow doubt that, but I could see him bringing Nesta

4. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it going to be on throughout? i dont want all of us to be in the small space like the RSL/NYRB game.

5. CrewBeat

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it will be on every tv w/ audio.

6. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard from a friend that there is going to be a band playing at the Claddagh starting at 8:30 tomorrow night. Any word on how this will be playing out with the game at 8:30 as well. Never been to the Claddagh before so I don't how this will work.

8. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do they waste their money on a band? I remember the last time for NYRB vs. RSL. That band was awful and nobody was paying attention to them.

And, that was only NYRB vs. RSL. This is USA vs. Sweden. Who the hell wants to listen to a band while trying to watch a game?

9. PolishCrew

PolishCrew New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be my first time to Claddagh, looking forward to it. They usually get a good turnout for these matches?

10. Finnegans Wake

Finnegans Wake New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Before the Thread goes to $hit.. I just sent Craig a message asking if there was a band or not tonight.

Craig wrote at 10:40am
    no band. just frankie and futbol

2. As far as why the bring bands in. Well most of the time the bands are a good hit. Like when they bring in The Drowsy Lads they bring in a good a crowd which mean more money..

So in the end they bring bands in to get more money. If you don' t want to listen to a band go some where else and watch the match

11. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason, I think we all get why they'd bring a band in on any other night. But if they want to become the main soccer viewing establishment in Columbus, a band playing on a USMNT game night isn't the way to win people over. Personally, if there's a band playing during the match, I don't see myself staying long.

12. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winner winner chicken dinner.

I don't mind them having a band AFTER the game, but I want to be able to watch and listen to the game.

13. Finnegans Wake

Aug 28, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know.. i was just being a dick.. i just go done talking to Craig and this is what he has to say

Craig: Just to clarify: The Claddagh will not, ever, have a band playing during a soccer match. What happened last year was an isolated incident when a band was scheduled by a promoter who no longer works for the company. The manager at the time made the most of the situation and provided a romm for all the viewers. Going forward, all MLS and USMNT games will be on all tvs with sound. Soccer is and will continue to be our priority going forward and we will take all feedback/suggestions from you as fans and guests. Craig​

14. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cool. hope there is a good crowd tonight. I have two friends who are probably coming tonight who don't understand the game itself but enjoy the atmosphere.

15. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drowsy Lads, thats the band I was talking about. Couldn't wrap my head around the name of the band.

16. CrewBeat

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the USMNT Blog

17. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah just to clarify- i talked to the people at claddagh before going over there this morning to watch the ManU FA game.

THERE IS NO BAND TONIGHT!!!

as Senor Mowry said- there will never be a band on during a Crew game or a USA game. I doubt even for other important MLS games.

The place is ligit, and even before they went all Super Soccer (and they really are great, in my opinion, the best place in town to watch a game) on us they would put games with audio up for me. even if no one else was watching.

especially with the new management this is going to be the place to watch games going foward. and for those that aren't down here much i think Keegans has closed up shop. Claddagh, i think, is our last bastion of true soccer-ness. (I know there are some Fado guys on here, but i never cared too much for it, not bad though just a long drive for me and small rooms)

anyways, all is on for tonight. Frankie will being doing his autograph thing from like 7:30 till kickoff, then watching the game with his peoples (his peoples being us). should be a good night. and after the game, how about we all stick around and get lit up to practice for Feb 11?

P.S.- call me sucker for irish music, but i actually like it when the Drowsy Lads play (not during games). and for those more creepy amongst us, the sure do seem to bring in a lot of young ladies.

18. Finnegans Wake

Aug 28, 2008
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

suckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never been there... where's the best place to park?

20. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Front street (meters off after 6pm, but be careful not to park on the side streets as those meters always run) or in the Kroger lot. (It says that they'll tow, but I've been parked there for hours with no problem numerous times.

21. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great crowd tonight. Thanks to everyone that came out!

22. bigal614

bigal614 Member

Oct 19, 2008
    columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no one wants to listen to the drowsy lads and there circus music while trying to watch a good ole game of soccer

23. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they played afterwards while frankie was pouring free shots of the dirty bird. it was a great post-party.

24. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can anyone confirm if this is true?

25. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES i can. it is closed. talked to some Keegans people yesterday. it is done.