Crew Pre-season News

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Missionary, Jan 21, 2009.

1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Coach Robert is planning some radical changes, I don't think that affects our defensive depth too much.

2. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    While correct, that doesn't really enter into the conversation about why we needed to get Brunner. Now that we (apparently) have him, hopefully he'll show well.

It will be interesting to see how the team shakes out when Frankie's away - I'd guess DannyO slots to RB with Iro/Marshall pairing centrally. We'll see...

3. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its a interesting question. I expect that you just need a Padula type player on the right to simply hold. Thats going to open up Eddie offensively to make more runs. Expect more offense from him with Frankie gone.

On Robbie-I am guessing that Bradley will not want to tamper too much with Crew offense since Robbie would be bench at most for the NT. I expect he will bring in someone like Freddy since he is not playing anyway .

4. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still wondering like GBS said in Mitchell's blog why we protected Ekpo but let Evans go...

5. bilzy

bilzy New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Just wanted to give a little more info from last night. The team arrived and stated pre-game that the only thing they were looking for was to get away without injuries. They played very reserved in their overall game. They gave the crowd a good game , but many of the guys definitely were holding back. Danny was the one who gave Eddie Johnson grief. He shut him down over and over. I honestly was surprised how strong he played.He and Eddie had more than one run in and I was very impressed with how well Danny help his temper. If his game last night was any indication, I'd say he is going to have an amazing season! Alejandro never hit full speed and after the match he told us it was just too dangerous in his opinion. He said the turf was " rock-like in some places" and he did not want to chance an injury. He was not happy at all about having to play on that surface a week before the opening game. If any of you had seen Frankie last night, you would have recognized that he was playing just enough to be a help ,but in no way was he showing his true self. Also,I'm not saying the Aztex did not deserve a win . They are a team in the building process and even with a roster that is only half set, they have shown that they have wonderful skill and talent. They will likely be in the top of the USL if the team works like they did last night. They have an amazing goalkeeper and a very steady defense. Speaking of defense, I was concerned about Marshell taking a bad hit, but he said he was feeling alright after the match. He was moving a bit slower though. Robbie seemed fine and said he felt fine too. The turf issue was the only reason he did not play. They had about 15 supporters in Crew jerseys cheering them from the stands. My son being one of them though he is also a huge Aztex fan. Since they are not true competitors he felt comfortable cheering both sides for a good match. He took a great amount of good natured teasing from the Aztex players for his jersey, but he also got a lot of thanks from the Crew for his jersey :) Overall he probably had the best time last night out of everyone.
    I would also like to acknowledge the Crew and thank them publicly for the support that they have shown my son over the last 17 months. He's dealt with months of confinement to a wheelchair, learning to walk again, multiple surgeries and months of rehab. Danny especially has been a hero in my book. He has stayed in touch with my son and encouraged him through the darkest part of his ordeal. He truly has made a very big difference in my son's outlook. For a young boy to have players he looks up to encourage him and tell him they have faith in him...words can't describe how much that means to my family. Alejandro and Frankie went out of their way to get an update on his progress and both gave words of encouragement and support once again. I should add the Aztex players are also just as supportive and pre-game they took him to the locker room and gave him a wonderful card with amazing notes from all the players. Lets just say after last night he is ready to face his next surgery on Tuesday with much more courage and strength because of the support he received last night!

6. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Because Ekpo has more talent in his right pinkie toe then Evans has in his entire body.

7. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wodering if anybody got a look a the jersey's the players were wearing? I have yet to see a picture with the Scudetto on the jersey.

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want to know how quick Seattle would have jumped on Ekpo? The minute they saw his name on the list they would have gotten bigass stiffies. People don't seem to realize what a freking find this kid was.

Evans is a solid young player. Ekpo has a chance to become a superstar. Speed out the wazoo, touch from God, the kid is ridiculously raw but my God, what a talent.

9. bilzy

bilzy New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    They had pre-season jerseys. Numbers with no names and with the Crew crest on the front (with the Glidden of course).

10. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like you have a great kid and you are a good supportive parent. Thanks for the update.

11. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Good summary, the Aztex deserved the win but it did look like the Crew were not going all out since the season is so close. I hope your son's surgery goes well, sounds like a great kid.

12. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

I'm confused why so many people question Ekpo? Every time I saw him on the field especially late in the season he was very good and toyed with defenders.

In my opinion, he had possibly the best pass and best break away in the 2008 season for the Crew.

His pass on I believe the Rogers goal in the San Jose away game early in the season was a brillant pass (3:02, are you kidding me? :eek:). Either that or Guillermo's pass in MLS Cup was the best pass. And, phenomonal breakaway goal against the Rapids that won the game, I'm sure everyone remembers that.

I really believe that last year Sigi and the Crew overhyped Ekpo's flaws to explain why he didn't get more time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMIINouuKq8"]YouTube - 05/10/08 Columbus Crew vs. San Jose Earthquakes[/ame]

Just need to get the kid on the field from the start of the whistle. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he never comes back off when he does start.

Ekpo could have a break out year in 2009. To be honest, I wouldn't have complained if he had started over Brad Evans in 2008. Don't get me wrong Evans did some very good things and came on, but would also disappear for 45 minutes at times. All three: Evans, Moffat, Ekpo, can't go wrong with. But, I won't lie and say I'm not excited with the prospect of a Rogers, Gaven, Schelotto, Ekpo, and Carroll midfield.

I'm also confident the kid can do the job.

13. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No, I don't think they overhyped Ekpo's flaws at all last year. He simply was not ready to start everyday in this league last year. That's no different then Rogers in '07. Too many times in this league teams bring in these young players, throw them in the deep end, and they sink or swim. Most of them sink. That's not the approach the coaching staff took with either of these young players, or any of their young players for that matter.

The coaching staff gave Ekpo just enough time to learn what this league was about; to learn his teamates, the system, the new town. They've taken the time to deconstruct his game and show him what he needs to do to be a better professional. Now it's his time. Now he's ready. I sure hope teams aren't prepared for it, just like they weren't prepared for Rogers in '08.

14. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just saying sometimes you throw a player out there and they swim or they learn quickly.

Ekpo was on the U-23 Nigerian team before he came to Columbus, was on a team that competed in Africa's version of the Champions League, and I remember one of his old coaches saying he was what was missing from Nigeria's senior side.

It's not like the kid couldn't play before he came to Columbus. Columbus didn't invent Ekpo. It's not like I could point to any time Ekpo was on the field last year and say he had a bad performance.

I know you can't expect them to play every game. But, sometimes the kid gloves are on a little too much. Hopefully, they come off this year. Can't perform on the bench.

Rogers also was one of the bright spots every time he stepped on the field late in 07 as well. Hopefully it's a harbinger.

15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto invented Ekpo.

16. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto invented Enyimba FC.

17. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope Ekpo is cut out for rugged gritty play in the middle. That is what is going to be needed with Evans gone, Noonan out and Moffat out-unless he plays a wing and Eddie plays the center.

18. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blog on the Aztex game: http://nativeaztexan.blogspot.com/2009/03/monday-morning-midfielder-aztex-vs-crew.html

Last year at least the Crew's last game in preseason was at home against a decent hispanic team. Not sure I like the way the preseason is winding down. No doubt the Aztexs were good but the field should have been thought out etc. Sigi was an anal, detailed accountant. That was one thing he would have thought through IMHO.

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I would have gladly accepted Evans back on this team for this season, and feel that he grew considerably as a player and into the role he was asked to play with us last season, he also benefited - greatly - from playing on a club where he was surrounded by championship-quality players.

He won't have that luxury this season in Seattle, and I, for one, doubt Evans will enjoy as much success in '09 as he did in '08. Evans was a role player on this team last year, a valued member of the supporting cast. But certainly not an impact player, not a leader. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I saw nothing in his play last year to lead me to conclude that he'll be able to take on a leadership/impact role in Seattle, or that he'd have done so here.

Ekpo? Well the jury's still out, of course. That said, he could well be a true impact player for us this season, he has that kind of mindset, talent. I don't know if it'll happen, but I look forward to seeing what EE will do this season. Comparing Evan's loss to what losing Ekpo would have meant for the Crew isn't much of an argument, in my book. They're just not the same kind of player at all.

20. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evans does not get enough credit. He was two footed, good with his head, decent speed and rugged. Ekpo has great speed and is good with his right foot. I think the jury is still out like you said.

21. bilzy

bilzy New Member

Feb 1, 2007

First, in regards to the blog. The bench players did a few exercises before heading to the bus. The reason given was that they had not played and it was cold. They did a warm up style session and they were very relaxed about it. Some guys did more than others. The mood was very relaxed.The guys that played most of the match did not participate. The mood from the starters was not as good. The agreement ,even by some of the traveling staff we spoke with, was that the turf condition was the very worst they had ever been on. We asked about the MLS turf games and while they all agreed it wasn't prime, they also said the quality was 100% different. FRT the Revolution and Dynamo all said the same thing.

I have no idea about turf. Good, bad or whatever. I just know that certain players were especially vocal with the coach about their concerns. My understanding was they were listened to and told the game would happen as scheduled. The guys were not happy , but they played. Schelloto was very upset/angry about having to play and he kept his play very conservative. Adjusting to a new head coach is always something that takes time. I just feel badly that so many of the team had to play a game they did not want to play. It made it hard to watch or enjoy the match knowing they did not want to be playing.

Also, thank you for the well wishes sent out for my son. I shared them with him and he too adds his thanks. I'll let you know how things turn out.

22. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    I think this fantastic photo sums of Frankie Hejduk...
    Rep to anyone who can identify what part of Law 4 Frankie is violating here

24. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Logo on his tights under his shorts?

25. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He was also a below average passer, limited field vision, poor in tight spaces, and gave up the ball too often when pressured.

And scoring a goal once with your left foot, dosen't make you two footed. It was very obvious he favored his right boot.